ArmyTek        
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PK Warrior 1 and 2 passaround

Default Re: PK Warrior 1 and 2 passaround

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I was thinking in terms of a gap filler regarding a magazine. The 2 cell magazine fills right much of the gap between the primary cell and the wall of an oversized light like say...a Warrior 2, an MD2 or OverReady body. Battery rattle goes away.

Apparently Olight (or somebody) used to have one cell magazines. Was just curious if PK or PowerTac had incorparated that into the Warrior 1.
    I agree they probably should have incorporated the use of 18350's in the PK Warrior 1. With the inner tube diameter smaller than that of the PK Warrior 2, the spacer is not needed and only allows use of (R)CR123's.

^^ thanks.

Knowing PK typically designs flashlights based around primaries I wondered if PowerTac had incorparated the use of a larger girth battery.

I considered the Warrior 1 but opted for the 2 as that wee bit of extra size seemed no different than carrying a Coast HP7 (insert cringe face here)...
    Yet provides a certain confidence that it doubles as a personal protection device.

I like the insta-strobe feature as well.
    John 3:16

^^ thanks.

Knowing PK typically designs flashlights based around primaries I wondered if PowerTac had incorparated the use of a larger girth battery.
    No, Pk Warrior 1's smaller girth battery body holder is rated for 16mm cells, (R)CR123, CR123 , or 16340's.
    the PK Warrior 2 handles the PK Warrior 1's batteries plus also 18650's. The PK Warrior came with PowerTacs CR123A's and the magazine sleeve.
    I considered the Warrior 1 but opted for the 2 as that wee bit of extra size seemed no different than carrying a Coast HP7 (insert cringe face here)...
    Yet provides a certain confidence that it doubles as a personal protection device.
    This light screams Personal personal protection.
    I like the insta-strobe feature as well.
    I like instant strobe in a tactical light also.
    GL

Review Photos uploaded. Finishing up.

Mods please move to Reviews with a redirect, Thanks GL.

The PK Warrior 1 & PK Warrior 2 Review

PowerTacs machining and finish are very good for an HAIII coated light.
    I am pleased with the lens and optics used in these two lights.
    Both of these lights are built like a tank.

I am disappointed that the PK Warrior 1 only allows the use of 16mm cells. The use of an 18350 would have been good. The PK Warrior 2 is rated for higher capacity 18650 cells, and will also operate using matching CR123's or RCR123's(16340) by utilizing the included battery magazine. Duty carry of these lights will require a custom made Leather or Ballistic Nylon duty holster.

These are Tactical lights. They are designed and made to aid in self-defense / protection. Both the PK Warrior 1 & PK Warrior 2 will do just that. The PK Warrior 1 is shorter with less output than the PK Warrior 2, but much easier to conceal in a jacket or sweat shirts hand pockets due to it's shorter length.

More Pics soon...

Both lights feature Three groups of 2 sharply pointed bezel ring striking points.. Both have an Octagonal tailcap shape with grouping of purposely blunted striking points to allow easier tailstanding. Gripping the PK Warrior 1, it's mass fills your hand. Gripping the PK Warrior 2
    with it's slimmer waistline with Crisp and Grippy knurling aids in holding the flashlight and
    using it's striking positions. I was most comfortable holding it at the head end that is knurled
    and striking with the tailcap.

The Tail Cap Switch is easy to use even wearing most gloves. It's a Forward Clicky with momentary on feature. It has good resistance to prevent an accidental on.
    The mode button is small. The easy way I have been able to find it on a PK Warrior 2 is by using the clip as a reference point. This worked well using light to moderate gloves. Larger and thicker gloves I was not able to locate the mode button easily. The PK Warrior 1 that lacks a clip as a reference point and was also difficult to find the mode button. This adds a level of security to the
    PK Warrior's in a tactical environment by restricting an unwanted mode changes. Credit to bykfixer
    for pointing out that the lanyard hole is 180 degree's from the mode button on both the PK1 & PK2.

The UI of these lights offers 4 illumination levels and strobe function. The UI has Memory of the
    last used mode and will illuminate on that mode until changed. Pressing the mode button whie
    the light is illuminated cycles through its outputs. Pressing the mode button while the light is
    off gives you instant access to strobe function.

The clip on the PK Warrior 2 is has ample resistance for stowing in a bag clipped to a pocket or
    to the outside of a jeans pocket. A sturdier and more rugged, clip that allows better belt or molle carry, would be welcomed. My best liked carry option is a holster for the light. I have found that an old 4Sevens Maelstrom G5 hardsided holster fits this light very well.

Both lights have removable/replaceable strike bezel rings. The PK Warrior 2 features a
    disassemblable head for o-ring maintenance and cleaning. PK Warrior's 1 head is potted in place.
    This will only affect users that require their equipment to be sterilized.

I do not have a standard PT Warrior v.3 to compare the PK Warrior to. I will say that it put's most
    of it's 1000 lumens way downrange with excellent throw using it's narrow hotspot and medium spill.
    Sadly I do not have another XM-L2 light simular sized to give it an even try. I'll throw in what I have.
    I will include Four Sevens Maelstrom X7 XM-L T6, Skilhunt Defier XT XM-L U2, Skilhunt Defier X3 XM-L U2, Tac Lights XM-L T6, Fenix TK35 XM-L T6, and Bronte X20 XM-L T6.

I will update a photo with all these lights together soon.
    Here are some Short range(50 yards) and Medium range beam shots(~ 75-100yards).
    I am always in search of new places and better shots. Closest styled comparisons lights I have,
    are the TacLight, Maelstrom X7, and the Defier XT. I have included a few larger diameter'd lights
    to give a comparison to.

*(These are quick pic sessions, and some error is expected to how these photo's look compared to what the human eye see's. Questions welcomed.)

Short Range:

The posts are set 10' apart. The Blue barrel is 150' and the traffic cone is 200'

Medium Range
    These shots are of something I have wanted to try, an experiment per say.. These shots have a visual object in the camera's field of vision. This allows the photo to capture the lights spill pattern, and at the same time render the "as seen by one's eye" type of projected hotshot. The snow bank is ~100 yards. Comments welcome to improve my beam shots.
    GL

Last edited by Got Lumens?; 02-03-2016 at 10:23 PM. Reason: dimensions

Good write up GL! I like your beams, a 'real world' viewpoint. Can use the fence posts as a scale.
    Have torch, will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by DrafterDan View Post
    Good write up GL! I like your beams, a 'real world' viewpoint. Can use the fence posts as a scale.
    ^^ exactly...great idea.
    I'm guessing based on the 50 yard note they're 20'+/- apart?

Looks like the light holds its own well against 'the larger diameter' lights. And the lights used to compare should be familiar to many so potential purchasers know what to expect if they choose to purchase a Warrior 2. Nice idea.

I ordered a Warrior 850 (as it's on clearance) and the 'alternative' tailcap recently. When they arrive I'll mention if there's a noticable difference in the switch use and location in darkness as well as if the PK version the side switch differs from the regular production model.

In another thread he mentioned incorparating the side switch into his version at the request of PowerTac. I think he used the words 'at the customers request' IIRC.

Edit: 1
    New and improved tail cap does not fit the PK light.
    So I won't comment further about it here except to say the PK differs from other PowerTac lights enough where Lego is out.
    It's like he took a few pix of a PowerTac light, wrote down a few numbers from the legend in their design, balled up blueprints, then set about designing a light from scratch using photos as reference from time to time.

Edit: 2
    After some more comparisons it looks (to me) like the PK Warrior I is quite possibly based off of the PowerTac Cadet Gen II parts and pieces with a total redesign. Either that or he was going for the Cadet sized light with a PK Warrior II's little brother look?
    Last edited by bykfixer; 02-07-2016 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrafterDan View Post
    ^^ exactly...great idea.
    I'm guessing based on the 50 yard note they're 20'+/- apart?
    Oops. Sorry about that, I forgot the scale. I updated OP.
    Fence posts are 10' Barrel is 150 and traffic cone 200.
    The Med shots are 100 yards.
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    Mods please move to Reviews with a redirect, Thanks GL

Makes sense to keep it in this purpose oriented thread. Good review.

Bill

I have received the lights and started on some photos and videos. Everything in proper working order.

Best regards,

Stuart
    Stuart

Goodie, goodie, goodie!!!!!

I've been showing off mine to a few folks and once they get past how many ways to knock out an attacker with it they notice it's a flashlight. lol.

Then they note the side switch and remark "what's this for?", pushing the button...activating the 1000 lumen strobe...which is shortly after the remark is "holy cow..make it stop!" Luckily it's a momentary switch as so far the users reaction is similar to one where they'd tazed themself.

Ahhh, cheap thrills with a flashlight.

Is Powertac's website the best place to buy one of these?
    The best weapon in the world is a flashlight. . . . Why? . . . So you can look deep into the other guy's eyes.

PowerTac products in general can be found at various gun shows, and online sites.

But as far as I know you can only get the PK lights at their site.

When you pay for shipping the big brown truck drops it off in a couple of days.
    If you pick free shipping the postman drops it off in a few days...
    After placing a few orders with PowerTac I've found I've found the free shipping option gets the package to me just as fast.

I'd say results may vary because I can drive to their facility in like 2 hours. They're in NC. Can't speak for delivery to say...Florida or Kansas etc.

Thanx.
    The best weapon in the world is a flashlight. . . . Why? . . . So you can look deep into the other guy's eyes.

Flashaholic*

Everyone has done a fantastic job with this passaround, thanks. We have seen some excellent reviews posted here!

I have sent StuGatz a PM. He has the lights in his possession. I am awaiting his review before I do the drawing to see who receives both PK Warriors.
    Member# 588

Quote Originally Posted by MrMom View Post
    Everyone has done a fantastic job with this passaround, thanks. We have seen some excellent reviews posted here!

I have sent StuGatz a PM. He has the lights in his possession. I am awaiting his review before I do the drawing to see who receives both PK Warriors.
    It's been interesting hearing everyone's thoughts and reviews of the lights. I definitely enjoyed getting to try both of them. Thanks for organizing this passaround!
    Fingers crossed for the drawing!

Flashaholic*

Sweet! I have really enjoyed the pass around. Thanks for doing this.
    Prometheans #253

+1, It's been interesting seeing everyone's thoughts!

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

Thanks for the passaround and the giveaway!

A few images that include a beautiful folder that I am conducting a TIP as well as the set of light devices (flashlights, torches, etc) that were used during this particular TIP (Test In Progress) with the videos to follow.

I am by no means a "white wall hunter," so please forgive the lack of light meters, etc. I use gear and we wanted to use the light in the most realistic conditions possible.

I have intermittently carried the PK Warriors for over a month now, avoiding situations / circumstances where I may have risked them being lost or damaged.

It is a huge advantage that they use the now much more available cr123 batteries. I do not know if they will accommodate rechargeable 123's. The PKII battery compartment accommodated an 18650 battery but I did not run it (turn it on) with caution that the 18650 might have the wrong voltage or in some other way cause a complication. That may have been over-caution and I may be too ignorant about voltage or regulation but since it is not my gear, I would not risk damage to the light.

The aggressive knurled design makes it almost impossible to "slip" or be pulled from one's grip. The crenelations of the bezel and tail-end are serious enough for kubotan use but not so imposing and obvious as a prior design by Paul.

The interface operation interface is easy to learn although I had some hiccups during one of our video shoots. The side button adjustment operation takes a little getting used to but once a person has it committed to a little "muscle-mind memory" it is somewhat easy to use.

Additional video to follow.
    Stuart

Initial field TIPs (Test In Progress) with a comparison. Mom, I promise that the lights remain in great condition. Now IF they had accompanied me on the LAST trip... not so much... I'm still recovering just a bit.

Stuart

Nice review-especially the demonstration with the plate glass windows-I appreciate real world examples!

Flashaholic*

Stuart,

Love the vids!!

Everyone has done such a fantastic job. Kudos. Each and every one has been superb.

PK, the Photon King himself has been following this thread. A little birdie recently told me that the Photon King has some new designs in the works. Do we hear another passaround in the making????

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, for the last twenty minutes I have been shuffling a fist full of eight quarters back and forth between my hands. Yes, my skin has that grey tinge to it now. Anyhow, each quarter's mint year ends with numbers 1-8 and we have eight participants in this passaround. Do I draw the winner of the flashlights or head to the local coffee shop??
    Member# 588

Flashaholic*

[IMG][/IMG]
    Member# 588

Have coffee, then decide! Thanks for the passaround and giveaway!

Flashaholic*

And the winner is #6, Got Lumens? Congratulations!

Send your shipping information to StuGatz.

Be on the lookout for another pass around soon.
    Member# 588

Good show! Congrats to GL!
    Have torch, will travel.

Flashaholic*

Congratulations! Looking forward to next pass around. Enjoy.
    Prometheans #253

Quote Originally Posted by MrMom View Post
    And the winner is #6, Got Lumens? Congratulations!

Be on the lookout for another pass around soon.
    Right on! X2

Congrats GotLumens! Mr.Mom- Looking forward to your next one!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast