Best LED light?

Brock

Flashaholic
If you can get it, the brightest LED light you can buy is the HDS 24 LED lighting system, it will set you back about $300. They are a headlamp style light. I have heard they are out of production until early next year (this year now) with a waiting list once they start making them again. You can find them at http://www.glow-bug.com/products/fl_a.light.html

If you were looking for a flashlight type, I would suggest the Trek 7, or Expedition. It is about twice as bright as the lightwave and is using 7 LED's. So far it is the brightest flashlight I know of in production, not counting the Edwood
smile.gif
You can find the trek 7 at http://www.glow-bug.com/products/fl_trek7.html

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led.htm

jbechto

Newly Enlightened
I have fit 7 Nichia 5600 mcd 20 degree emissions into Dorcy's 4 AA Frostbrite if anyone is interested. Runs at about 130 mA. Lots of light for an LED flashlight. I've also put 7 into the 3 D cell Sears "Companion" (also by Dorcy I think) [email protected]

Doug

Enlightened
Can you fit 7 Nichia 5600 mcd 20 degree into the Dorcy BOSS 4AA light (which I have heard is the same as the Turtlelite)? That would be great
smile.gif
!

41-2940%20.jpg

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jbechto:
I have fit 7 Nichia 5600 mcd 20 degree emissions into Dorcy's 4 AA Frostbrite if anyone is interested. Runs at about 130 mA. Lots of light for an LED flashlight. I've also put 7 into the 3 D cell Sears "Companion" (also by Dorcy I think) [email protected]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jbechto

Newly Enlightened
No, the design of the Boss's head only allows me to put in 4 LEDs. I modify the reflector on the Frostbrite and the Luminator (that's what the Sears "Companion" really is) to accept the 7 LEDs. It's the nice big flange they have that allows the modification to work. I'll have to figure out how to put a picture in here and show you.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

i can see the ad now,
JBECHTO'S CUSTOM LED LIGHTS INC. good luck!!!!!!
smile.gif

the thought of led flashlight mod's may be fun at the novice level
smile.gif

------------------

franken

jbechto

Newly Enlightened
Actually I've registered www.ultimatelights.com but the website is a ways off yet.

How about a "Boss" case running 4 5600 Nichia's at 190 ma total? I have them for $28.00. So far I only have the older style case (with the lanyard loop on the bottom, preventing Candle Mode), but the newer ones are on the way! And yes, they are the same case as the turtlelights. This setup looks to be good for about 10 hours full brightness and a bunch more at a decent, but lower level.

John ([email protected])

phyhsuts

Enlightened
This should be the brightest LED flashlight when it appears.Tektite

Expedition 14 LED

Tektite showed off an upgraded prototype version of their Expedition, doubling the LEDs from 7 to 14 for a significant increase in brightness. A commensurate reduction in run time still leaves an impressive claim of 20 hours at full brightness and another 30 at reduced levels from the triple C-celled flashlight (7.75 in. x 1.9 in. dia.). Anticipated price is $120. It's got a double O-ring seal on the polycarbonate lens, wrist strap guides and a superb wrist lanyard. The light is rated waterproof to 1,000 feet. Its sibling was top rated in our LED test, so this one has great genes.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Jbechto,
hi temp hot melt glue? another amazing fact I am finding out about at the candlepowerforums...
How hot does it have to get to melt? What gun melts it? Could I mend my pants with it - and not have it melt in the laundry? (don't ask! ;>)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

When you say "set the draw" do you mean selecting the resistor size for each LED. I would think you have to have one resistor for each LED to opperate safely. Correct? My multi LED bulbs are for 4.5 volts so I don't need any resistors in them. I did solder in a resistor for a single LED PR bulb replacement for the 6 volt Turtlelight and a 4 C cell Maglight though. I tried to run a two LED setup in the Turtlelight with no resistor at the straight 6 volts. Burned out one of the LEDs in about one min. Had to try it though. I wanted it real bright.
Oh well.
blush.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ted - Hot melt glue guns are the originals. Low melt glue guns allow for things like glueing to a blown up balloon without bursting it. More importantly, they allow kids to participate in home crafts with less danger of burns. If I remember right, the hot melt sticks are clear and the low are kind of foggy. They sell guns for each.

RonM

jbechto

Newly Enlightened
Sorry it took so long to post this. As you can tell, my digital camera leaves something to be desired (like a few thousand more pixels!)

This is 7 Nichia 5600's mounted in a PR bulb base and custom fit into Dorcy's "FrostBrite" translucent case 4 AA flashlight. I set the draw at 140 ma (20 ma per LED) to get really good battery life out of it. It produces a very full, even light.

I think I'll do one at double the draw to see if the additional brightness is worth the extra draw. I've also found that I had to go to a high temp hot glue with the overdriven bulbs. The low temp was getting a little gooey during the battery life testing. The High temp seems to have solved that problem.

John
7led4aa.jpg

jbechto

Newly Enlightened
Ron has the straight scoop on hot glue.

For Brad, No way on one resistor for each LED. That would be a terrible waste of batteries! One 1/4 watt resistor has no problem running all 7 LEDs. I build it into the base.

I just finished a custom Coleman 4 D Cell lantern for a customer. 8 LEDs pointing out in all directions running at 165 ma total. 4.5 times the battery life compared to the original bulb at 750 ma! Came out pretty nice.

John

D

**DONOTDELETE**

belaTed thanks for the glue info -- "aw shucks" though....maybe someone will come out with a higher temp hot melt glue -- ??