P60 drop ins for 2 x CR123A primaries

recDNA

Flashaholic
I only have a few hosts left because I have been selling them off. Those I do have are running Surefire P60 incan lamps. When I email P60 manufacturers about using 2 x CR123A in their 2.8 - 6 volt drop ins I can almost see them contorting themselves into a pretzel rather than straight out answering whether their dropins are really safe for 2 x CR123A. They all just try to talk you into 16650 or 18650 because a lot of these drop ins are pushing 3 amps or more.

Anyway I would really like a drop in that is DESIGNED for 2 x CR123A not an "Ok to use in an emergency but stay away from high mode" drop ins.

I would like an XP-L or XM-L2 neutral (4000 -5000k) and I would like a Hi CRI model (Nichia? Cree Hi CRI? Osram?). I would like each to be designed for 2 x CR123A'S so each battery only has to provide 1 amp.

I realize these will not be very bright but maybe 250 lumens from HI CRI and maybe 350 from XP-L? I would prefer 2 modes and I'm not interested in purchasing from any overseas dealers no matter what. Just accept it. Also, let's avoid the li ions are safer argument and humor me with only solutions for primaries.

I am afraid what I seek does not exist but no harm in asking right? Thanks!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Talk to nailbender, or vihn. I'm sure they can hook you up with something.
Nailbender is Customlites now and really doesn't have 2 x CR123A solutions for XP-L at low amps. Back in the day he would certainly build one. Vinh is more attuned to pushing the limits whereas I'm trying to reduce them. It is true his programmable driver may be usable if there is an option for only low and medium but they really are not designed for primaries. I fear you are on the right track though. Sounds like it would have to be a custom build and I would rather avoid that. Lucidrvr might be an alternative too but I don't know if it is designed for 6 volts 1 amp.

Malkoff seems to have the right driver in his 2 x CR123A MDC but he doesn't currently have a HI CRI nor XP-L option in a P60.

I wish I knew the right terminology. Do I need a buck driver or buck-boost or whatever. I may be better off in an unregulated format I just do not know. They have names but I forget them. More plaque on my brain than me teeth!

It would be nice if the same drop in could run safely on 1 x CR123a or RCR123 or 2 x CR123A.

Lots are advertised at 2.8 - 6 volt but are really only meant for li ion.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
As I said I lack the knowledge. My limited understanding suggests 1.5 amps is too much for primaries yet Eagletac sells 3 amp triples they claim are same for 2 x CR123A. I'm baffled.

I'm probably better off dumping all my hosts and depending on manufacturers reluctance to build flashlights that injure customers and result in liability.

Figured I'd give it one last try first. I did find a nice 3 volt option from Customlites and it is on the way now so my 3 volt hosts are OK. Just the 6 volt hosts I need to take care of. The P60 incan isn't bad at all but I would like an alternative when it burns out. I have a P90 too 9 volt and no intention of changing that one.

All I have to take care of is 2 6P's and a Z2 so 3 x 6 volt hosts. 2 of them are still using 16650 but I would like to get rid of almost all of my li ions.

Incans are all direct drive right?

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] yet Eagletac sells 3 amp triples they claim are same for 2 x CR123A. I'm baffled.
I know what you mean, they are crazy IMO to suggest that combo is a viable configuration.
Even running those modules with 3xCR123 (@ 2 amps) is really pushing it IMO; 2xCR123 most certainly goes over the edge into 'bad idea' territory.

And claiming the 1xLiIon dropins (7135-based IIRC) can do "6V" is also bordering on a poor idea as you have seen.

I understand what you're looking for and the lack of selection of true 2xCR123-appropriate dropins (pretty much only Malkoff IMO) is why I've went with light bodies that do 3xCR123 for my lithium primary lights - a much greater selection as this is now in popular 2x LiIon territory.

Best of luck,

Edit: Nothing wrong with Malkoff dropins of course, but finding true neutral tints in those is a challenge, let alone modern XP-L's, etc.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't see how 3 x CR123A would be any safer than 2? Either way all 3 batteries are pulling the same amps. It's not like it's 3 amps/3 batteries equals 1 amp each.

Oh for me 2 x li ion is 100% O U T. I used to use 2 x 18500 to drive my P90 in a 9P but now using 3 primaries. I check voltage carefully to make sure they are matched. I do not have a device to measure capacity but since I'm trying to get away from li ions I do not wish to purchase one. I figure 3 surefire batteries from the same box at the same voltage are going to be ok. I check every once in a while to make sure there is no weak sister in the 3....but now I'm diverting my own thread.

Maybe someone more conversant in programmable P60's could tell me if Vinh driver or Lucidrvr can be set up perfectly for 2 x CR123A?

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory has an XP-G2 drop-in in either Neutral White or 90+ CRI that draws 1 amp and puts out a max of around 350 lumens. They have a single mode and a triple 5%/30%/100% mode available. I've had their XP-G version for several years and really like it.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Great tip! I will check it out. I bet customlites (nailbender) 219b drop in would also be fine on 2 primaries. It's the hi cri xml2 I would really love but that one is 3 amps.

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm missing something but nobody has even mentioned Malkoff yet. The M61 series were expressly designed for 2 primaries and only draw 650 mA at 6 volts. I realize they run XP-G2 vs XP-L or XM-L but you're only looking for around 300 lumens. They're offered in a variety of tints including high CRI versions and you can get them in single mode or multi-mode.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes. That was an interesting drop-in. I actually bought a couple not so long ago from the marketplace. I recently sold the M61 XMLT6 but I still have the low variant. Good stuff.

Well, what you want does exist ... but will be a challenge to obtain.

It is called the Malkoff M61 XMLT6 (XML2) , and there was a very limited run of them.

EDIT - here's the link ...

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=288743

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear ya, it's tough. Seems everybody wants a searing beam using the brightest and most energy sapping LED on Li-Ions. Back in the day, you had an hour on a P60 and the it was just right. Incan warm beautiful beam, perfect hotspot and acceptable runtime. What happened? It would be great if there were a nice neutral slightly warm beam with a decent run time and doesn't have to run on plutonium batteries. :)

Closest I've got to a product made to FUNCTIONALLY replicate a good, usable beam is Malkoff, but yeah the neutral/warm tints are a little harder to dig up.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Well I do get the Malkoff news letter so maybe I will hear if they become available. I think Gene is concentrating on MDC and MD2 at the moment though. I've pestered Gene and Dave with too many questions so I better leave them alone for a while.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Lumens Factory has an XP-G2 drop-in in either Neutral White or 90+ CRI that draws 1 amp and puts out a max of around 350 lumens. They have a single mode and a triple 5%/30%/100% mode available. I've had their XP-G version for several years and really like it.
Is Lumens Factory in USA?

flashlight nut

Enlightened
Illumn has a xp-g2 Neutral 3 mode triple from EDCPlus that runs at 2 A. I have this drop-in and is second only to my Malkoff N Hound Dog.

Edit: Well, I guess I type too slow.