Decent hand cranked / dynamo light?

Brewer

Newly Enlightened
Before you all start on me, let me tell you this... I own a 'fleet' of expensive LED flashlights, powered by a number of different battery types, some Milwaukee and Ryobi worklights with onboard fuel gauges, and a single $5 hand cranked light - and that is the one I generally grab before I head out into the dark. Simple reason being that it doesn't matter how long I'm out there, I have light. No guessing how much I used it since the last charge. No carrying spare batteries or fiddling with them in the dark. It just works. All. Night. Long.

But it's cheap and it'll break. I want to spend $150 on something good.

Anyone?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago I had bought Japanese, then Russian, then Chinese hand crank lights. All were less than $20, all eventually broke; mostly gear stripping. Have you tried those wind-up and let'em rip lights? Seems like they would not be so hard on the gears as a hand crank. The Shake lights I have are not very bright but should be long-time durable. You could tape a hundred dollar bill to one of those and say you used your self imposed budget.

Before you all start on me, let me tell you this... I own a 'fleet' of expensive LED flashlights, powered by a number of different battery types, some Milwaukee and Ryobi worklights with onboard fuel gauges, and a single $5 hand cranked light - and that is the one I generally grab before I head out into the dark. Simple reason being that it doesn't matter how long I'm out there, I have light. No guessing how much I used it since the last charge. No carrying spare batteries or fiddling with them in the dark. It just works. All. Night. Long.

But it's cheap and it'll break. I want to spend $150 on something good.

Anyone?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's another vote for a good shake light. I've owned the Nightstar 1, 2, 3, and 4 flashlights. The 2 was the best but the newest model, the Nightstar JP appears to have incorporated the best features of past lights. It won't be exceedingly bright, but it's simple and VERY robust. It's a fully self-contained system since there's no removable head/tailcap and the switch is magnetic (sealed). If you do want a crank light, check out the Vortex Crank Light. All can be had from the havelight website (hint: just add .com).

braddy

Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up, I thought they closed down. I own a Gen III of the NightStar that looks exactly like the NightStar jP, it is the real deal.

The NightStar is not a gimmick or a toy, and for those who have the money for such a light, it is worth owning one.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're depending on a crank light or shake light to provide you endless light, you may be better off sticking with batteries. The mechanical devices in such lights are far more prone to breaking than the electronics in a battery-only light. Carrying a spare battery is also a lot more compact than carrying a light with all the bulk and weight of a crank.

I have 2 crank lights, but I'd never depend on them.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would tent to agree with you for the most part, but I think handling one of the nightstar lights would change your mind. The only moving parts are the switch (which moves on almost all lights and has the added distinction of being hermetically isolated from the inside of the light) and the magnet which simply slides along inside the tube and is protected from impacting the body of the light by magnets with opposite polarity. They've very robust. They also use capacitors to store energy instead of batteries so while they won't last forever, they're capable of many more recharge cycles than a battery based light.

Let me state (as the OP did) that I say all this having (probably) thousands of dollars worth of high end lights and while there is a malkoff MD2 with a dozen primary spares in my truck, BOB, etc, I also keep a couple shakelights around.

Did I mention they are EXTREMELY waterproof, and they float with the head pointing up?

If you're depending on a crank light or shake light to provide you endless light, you may be better off sticking with batteries. The mechanical devices in such lights are far more prone to breaking than the electronics in a battery-only light. Carrying a spare battery is also a lot more compact than carrying a light with all the bulk and weight of a crank.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

Theres a flood of garbage in this niche, however the Weather Ready line for radio, and the flashlight (separate until) get the best marks i've seen. under $10 ea. I bet is you shop around you can bet 2 of each around $20.
From what I can tell they will last awhile mechanically, but even so, the device is also dependant on the rechargable inside as well.

Plus, there not as fun as a 100 CR123's and a lumen blsater with moonlight mode....

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a lot of energy contained in a single battery. Even a lowly AA cell has about 2.5 Wh of energy, or 9000 joules. That's enough energy to lift a 70kg (154 lb) man over 13 meters (43 feet). Add to that, the best human-powered generators are only about 50% efficient, and probably way less efficient on a flashlight hand-crank.

How much effort would it take you to lift a man up a 100' ladder? That's about how much energy you'll need to crank, in order to equal just 1 AA battery.

It just doesn't make practical sense. Carry a spare battery if you're really worried about power, or keep your light on low most of the time and it will last for days. If SHTF, then use a moonlight mode and it will last for weeks. Besides, if SHTF, you've probably got better things to do with your time and energy than cranking a flashlight.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
. Besides, if SHTF, you've probably got better things to do with your time and energy than cranking a flashlight.

Absolutely on the same page, just offering up what OP asker for. After much thought I don;t even like solar, Im a primary guy, plug, play and ration.

@ OP, it's bulky and a multi feature deal, but if I was buying one it would be the CC Crane solar observer, Then only thing I don't like about it is it wont take Lithium AAA as one of the backup power options. Maybe eneloops?

StudFreeman

Enlightened
There's a lot of energy contained in a single battery. Even a lowly AA cell has about 2.5 Wh of energy, or 9000 joules. That's enough energy to lift a 70kg (154 lb) man over 13 meters (43 feet). Add to that, the best human-powered generators are only about 50% efficient, and probably way less efficient on a flashlight hand-crank.

How much effort would it take you to lift a man up a 100' ladder? That's about how much energy you'll need to crank, in order to equal just 1 AA battery.

Let's have some fun and consider the time a AA needs to perform 9000 joules of work ;):
Looking at HKJ's AA alkaline tests, that rate would be equivalent to you climbing a 13-meter ladder or a 73-step staircase at ~1 meter/hour (or ~11 minutes per 7" [.18-meter] stair step).

Even an Eneloop XX requires ~15x more time (about a half-hour) to deliver 9kJ than what a typical man's basal metabolic rate (~85W) needs to consume the same 9kJ in food energy...not even a very leisurely/sleepy/drunk human pace :buddies:.

It just doesn't make practical sense. Carry a spare battery if you're really worried about power, or keep your light on low most of the time and it will last for days. If SHTF, then use a moonlight mode and it will last for weeks. Besides, if SHTF, you've probably got better things to do with your time and energy than cranking a flashlight.
How about a crank light that tops off an Eneloop or 14500? Best-of-both worlds? Sounds like you have a project on your hands, OP :grin2:. I'm interested in which light you go with.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking adding a power tap with a double pole double throw switch to use external packs. Haven't gotten around to it yet, though.

Theres a flood of garbage in this niche, however the Weather Ready line for radio, and the flashlight (separate until) get the best marks i've seen. under $10 ea. I bet is you shop around you can bet 2 of each around $20.
From what I can tell they will last awhile mechanically, but even so, the device is also dependant on the rechargable inside as well.
Plus, there not as fun as a 100 CR123's and a lumen blsater with moonlight mode....
I have one of those, they're actually not bad. Still haven't figured out how to strip it without popping off the knobs and losing whatever placement they have. Four screws, then the knobs hold the housing together. I feel it's an anti-modding thing. :(

If it had an external power tap, a usb in-out plug, it'd be perfect.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a crank light that tops off an Eneloop or 14500? Best-of-both worlds?

I have a crank-radio that has an internal 600mAh 3.6v (3 cell) NiMH battery. According to the instructions, it takes 3 hours of cranking to fully charge the batteries. Sure, it's not a lot of effort for a few minutes (which is really all they intend most people to do), but my arm would be dead and fingers blistered long before 3 hours.

It's way more practical to simply have an extra set of batteries.

I was thinking adding a power tap with a double pole double throw switch to use external packs. Haven't gotten around to it yet, though.

I have one of those, they're actually not bad. Still haven't figured out how to strip it without popping off the knobs and losing whatever placement they have. Four screws, then the knobs hold the housing together. I feel it's an anti-modding thing. :(

If it had an external power tap, a usb in-out plug, it'd be perfect.

My radio has that. I can barely crank it fast enough to charge a cell phone. If I absolutely had to, I'd do it for a few minutes. Otherwise, again, I'd rather have an external power bank.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
In this day and age with USB and power banks absolutely everywhere, even over the counter at gas stations, I see no reason for ANY crank light not to have a USB port.

100% reliance on the crank means 100% failure when it finally strips. :(

Brewer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies, it's interesting that this market segment still doesn't seem very well serviced.

I am well aware how 'easy' it is to carry 'a spare' battery etc, but when you step back and look at this as a design solution, it sucks. It requires management, forethought, a system to separate used and fresh batteries, and at the end of the day it still means fiddling with small parts IN THE DARK when the battery dies and you have to change it. Quite honestly, if the SHTF, I have better things to do than fartarse around with battery polarity and dropping things in the mud. What I don't get is the willingness with which otherwise prepared, 'self sufficient' characters will rely on such a suboptimal solution and an external supply of some critical resource.

Also, say you're camping, you get up in the night to go to the toilet. Do you carry a spare battery with you? Because I sure as hell don't. Maybe you're far too organised for that, and you've already 'audited' your flashlight and you know exactly how much juice you have left. Good for you. Again, I think I have better things to do with my time. Besides, what if the SHTF at that exact moment, you're away from your camp with nothing but a pair of boxer shorts, a roll of toilet paper and a flashlight that's minutes from death?

I also have to take issue with this idea that somehow cranking it is a chore that takes time and energy away from other things. It really isn't. My $5 special obviously has internal gearing that makes the handle quite resistant to turning, but you can hear the internals spinning quite fiercely with each crank. I've never felt the need to crank for x number of minutes, just doing it for a few seconds whenever I get the urge, before and/or after use seems to be enough to keep it charged. I used to spend just as long polishing the fingermarks off of my expensive lights. I might not want to use this kind of flashlight for hours at a time, but I rarely need to. A few seconds of light here and there to find my path, illuminate a hazard, find something etc is all I seem to need, but when I need it, I need it.

I don't see any reason why a hand crank must NECESSARILY mean unreliability. It's a few moving parts, sure, but as a species we've been getting pretty good at moving parts over the last couple of hundred years. Plus, as StudFreeman suggests, if you incorporate a rechargeable AA cell you have the option to carry a spare to cover crank failure. And lets face it, crank failure is possible, but battery death is guaranteed. And in a zombie apocalypse or castaway scenario your batteries WILL run out, while my crank MAY fail.

On the other hand the beauty of a crank (or shaker) is that it is a simple motion that pretty much anyone can do, and you can do it in the dark with instant results. I'm not trying to lift a man up a ladder, I just want to see.

Anyway, as well as all the good suggestions here, I found a company called Freeplay that is at the pointy end of kinetically-powered devices, simple and reliable for third-world applications etc. I'll continue to digest the various choices and report back with any thoughts and experiences etc.

And remember kids, just say 'no' to batteries... :D

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you really have nothing better to do than crank, then go for it. But since you claim you only need low light levels for a few minutes at a time, any decent battery-powered light with a low mode or moonlight mode will do you for months or years. By the time your battery runs out, the zombies will have long since eaten you.

BTW, you should know that noise, such as cranking a handle, attracts zombies.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brewer,
You did a great job on your last post. I look forward to your future reports. I looked at the Vortex hand crank flashliht but did not find any reviews that indicate any substantial use, and remember looking at the freeplay website years ago.

For a time back in the 80's, I worked security at night and had to check a number of padlocks on fence gates, etc.. I used a crank light just as you described. There was enough ambient light to get around (and I did not want to give away my position unnecessarily) and just needed a brief low-light glimpse at the padlocks to confirm there were no black widows on the locks before pulling on them to check. My supervisor thought I was a total dork on that matter and also made the claim that the noise of the crank was too revealing (And like some of the forum members here, conveniently ignored their own 'tells') Back then, NiCd battery use was depressingly fussy, much like your general description of batteries. Because of repeated mechanical failure, I abandoned their use BUT still consider the concept as valid. And with today's LED's, even more reliable.

So know that not all of us will insist on keep rolling out the same old bromides against your ideas. Let us know of your results.