Wuben        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fenix TK16 (XM-L2 U2, 1x18650 or 2xCR123A) Review

Default Re: Fenix TK16 (XM-L2 U2, 1x18650 or 2xCR123A) Review

The ArmyTek Predator does a much better job of ACTUALLY remaining on Max. It stays at about 85%, until the battery is depleted (then the light dies) at 70 min. How is it regulated?

This Fenix immediately starts dropping, and seems to reach 85% after 10 minutes -- so I guess you have to click off/on to go back. Otherwise it drops to 75% at 20 min, before stepping down to 40%.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by cannedheat3000 View Post
    Great review! How well do you think this light would hold up on a rifle? Thanks for any input on this.
    If you're using the remote switch it will probably hold up better. I haven't found the included tailcap to be reliable, but I think it could be a great rifle light with the remote switch.

Quote Originally Posted by lumen aeternum View Post
    The ArmyTek Predator does a much better job of ACTUALLY remaining on Max. It stays at about 85%, until the battery is depleted (then the light dies) at 70 min. How is it regulated?

This Fenix immediately starts dropping, and seems to reach 85% after 10 minutes -- so I guess you have to click off/on to go back. Otherwise it drops to 75% at 20 min, before stepping down to 40%.
    Yup, Predator X on max. does show excellent flat regulation before shut down due to the 18650 protection circuit kicking-in. As described in my review, you can go back to max. by clicking the secondary switch or turning the light off-on with the main switch. TK16 is a heavily-driven light runs on only one 18650 and gives you a continuously decrease in output in case of accumulated Turbo. Other heavily driven light with 1x18650 will be no exception. TK16 will give you much more output for at least 20 mins than Predator X.

Flashaholic

Excellent light. I have been using my TK16 quite a lot for the past 3 months and can't say a single bad word about it. I have also TK22 and old TK10... this is the best TK flashlight from Fenix so far, I would say. The dual tailcap switch is very handy for tactical purposes. Beam profile and even tint is very nice from my point of view. I just threw away the cigar ring, because it didn't feel right in my grip. I am really not worry about using it as a striking tool as well. What are you experiences?
    Last edited by Jiri; 11-20-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S3MKi View Post
    i want fast access to max and min
    Same thing here....
    I'm about ready to order a armytek dobermann pro...
    Turbo with the head tightened and can set low in the "memory" with the head loosened...

I'm surprised that easy access to either high or low on demand from OFF isn't more common.. You would think that it would be a great feature...

I'm interested in seeing some comparison shots to the Nitecore P12GT. I'm considering between the two for my next purchase and I'd like to see them side by side at about 300 feet to compare flood and hotspot throw. Does anyone have both that can comment ?

Quote Originally Posted by shodid View Post
    I'm interested in seeing some comparison shots to the Nitecore P12GT. I'm considering between the two for my next purchase and I'd like to see them side by side at about 300 feet to compare flood and hotspot throw. Does anyone have both that can comment ?
    1. 85m

2. 120m

Welcome to CPF. shodid!

Killer beamshots, candle lamp. Your format is one of the most useful I've seen.

Flashaholic

Reading your review, especially the last shots,I purchased the... Nitecore P12GT.
    Thank you for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore41 View Post
    Reading your review, especially the last shots,I purchased the... Nitecore P12GT.
    Thank you for the review.
    interesting enough the P12GT was also on my list, reason why i got TK16 is that TK16 allows me to use mode button w/o switching grip, so from a single std tactical fist grip i can use power on/off and mode buttons. i guess one could pinky the mode button of P12GT, but its not easy to index the grip so that pinky & mode button are together. my TK16 is a great "little" light. TK16 however does not tail stand, and, one feature i wish TK16 had is a sealed USB charge port, so maybe in the future a TK16.1

some other lights that have mode button on body, i believe others you can logically change mode button functions to the tail cap button.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    It has to be only a matter of time until Fenix gets into the XP-L HI game
    HA! About 10 months later the TK15UE is their answer.
    GOOD TINT!

Most excellent review, thanks for the time and effort you put into it. I am choosing between the TK16 and TK15 UE.

Flashaholic*

Great review. Interesting take on I guess the new version of the tk15. I do have a couple questions. I'm.not talking about the step down on turbo. But you mentioned regulated turbo. This doesn't look regulated to me at all. And not like armytek that has a buck boost circuit. This doesn't even seem to have a buck regulated circuit. It continuously drops in output as the cell drains. There should be a flat line across for a while then when the cell drops below VF of the led at ~3A then a steadily downward curve. To me this light doesn't have bad regulation on turbo. It doesn't have any. But it's also definitely not direct drive. Must be a fixed resistor on turbo. Also I don't consider 1000 lumens heavily driven. That's only 3A
    Another thing. The low voltage warning is nice as it lets you know you need to change cells but doesn't leave you in the dark. But what happens when you want to use 2x cr123s which it's designed for. I think that could get quite irritating have the light constantly blink at you after dropping to low when you still have capacity left in your primary cells

Quote Originally Posted by vicv View Post
    you mentioned regulated turbo. This doesn't look regulated to me at all.
    The TK16 stpes down to High from Turbo. It's timed-step down. The first runtime traces (accumulated) show the TK16 with output reset to Turbo after the automatic downshift each 21 minutes.

It continuously drops in output as the cell drains. There should be a flat line across for a while then when the cell drops below VF of the led at ~3A then a steadily downward curve. To me this light doesn't have bad regulation on turbo. It doesn't have any. But it's also definitely not direct drive. Must be a fixed resistor on turbo.
    It perfectly shows flat regulation after timed-step down on Turbo.

Also I don't consider 1000 lumens heavily driven. That's only 3A.
    Only 3A? It's one of the heavily driven lights with 1x18650.

Another thing. The low voltage warning is nice as it lets you know you need to change cells but doesn't leave you in the dark. But what happens when you want to use 2x cr123s which it's designed for. I think that could get quite irritating have the light constantly blink at you after dropping to low when you still have capacity left in your primary cells
    I didn't check how the light on 2xCR123A work. But the light with 1x18650 steps down to Low automatically when the battery is Low without blinking.

Flashaholic*

Almost every light comes out now has a ~1000 lumen output which is around 3 amps with an XML or xpl. So I figure that's pretty standard now. Nothing special.
    "It perfectly shows flat regulation after timed-step down on Turbo"
    That's not regulation though. You get diminishing light for 21 minutes(that's how it looks on your graph) then steps down to a lower mode with regulation. If you go back to turbo it does it again. If you look at you're graph for turbo there isn't a flat spot in it until it steps down but then it's not in turbo anymore. That's what I meant by no regulation whatsoever. They must utilise a fixed resistor for turbo and it's direct drive through that resistor.
    These are just my observations of the light. I know the step down thing seems to be popular right now with the lumen wars going on. And I'll admit 21 minutes is a long time at 1k lumens as it's more than you'll ever really need. I guess we just have a difference on how we define regulation. I consider regulation to look like the medium line. Thanks
    Last edited by vicv; 12-31-2016 at 07:45 AM.

This might be next on my list.

I picked one of these up a week ago and I really like it. It looks super cool and the 400 Lumens on high really lights things up. I don't like turbo on any flashlight and wish there was a way to lock out this feature.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12