HDS Systems        

Thread: Modding My Leatherman Charge - The "ReCharge"

Flashaholic*

Default Modding My Leatherman Charge - The "ReCharge"

I've been wanting to do this mod ever since I first saw that Leatherman came out with a plier head with replaceable cutters.
    It took me awhile to get around to it but I saw that others have been doing this mod successfully for years and it gave me the confidence that the Rebar head would fit and it would work.

Anyways ... it was much more frustrating than I thought it would be.
    Maybe I'm just not skilled at these things but it did work in the end.

And like many others who have done this mod before me the Rebar head is a bit beefier towards the base when compared to the Charge head so you either have to shorten the scissors or replace it with the Rebar awl. Even if you do replace the scissors with the awl you have to shave some material off the back of the awl because the plier head wouldn't fit all the way and the tool doesn't close completely.

I think the ideal thing really would be for Leatherman to update the Charge series so that they come with the replaceable wire cutters although they'd have to redesign the plier head or the inside tool set to accomplish that.

Has anyone else here done something like this and what are your long-term thoughts on this mod?

Default Re: Modding My Leatherman Charge - The "ReCharge"

I think it is a great idea. After reading the thread I can see how it is a major improvement. Did you see the stuff he was cutting with it! WOW.

I broke the screw driver on my Gerber multitool. I need to figure out if/how I can change it out. I love the tool, I just have to remember it is not Snap On quality in all arenas. I since replaced it with a Leatherman. I liked the quality of the Leatherman so much so, I bought another.
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

Awesome mod. I will have to do this to my ALX. Searching for parts I go...

Flashaholic*

Bumpin' my own thread, I know, but I check the Leatherman website a few times a year to see if there is anything new and it looks like they finally added replaceable wire cutters to the Wave and Charge!!!

I think I personally sent them two emails about this issue. Just might have to pick one of these new ones up myself. Now if I could just sort this awl issue out.