nitecore and wolfeyes

mickb

Enlightened
horribly generalised question from a newb but I am trying to learn quickly and wondered in the general scale of manufacturing quality how do the brands compare?
Also compared to the other string of chinese brands( oilight, sunwayman, fenix etc) are they both part of the same mix?

Lastly are they a long way behind something like surefire?

I have access to some affordable deals in each thanks to my job, but wondered in a nutshell if they are toys or duty worthy.

I'll leave it at that. Thanks for any replies.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Toy is such a relative word. For us, most lights are toys but in the case of NiteCore, I can assure you they're a high quality product that definitely qualifies as "duty worthy."

In my opinion, quite literally, Surefire is way behind NiteCore.

Besides assurance that NiteCore is a product worth purchasing, what is it you're wanting to know that you're not asking?

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be clear, Surefire Vs NiteCore, in my opinion, the only thing about Surefire that's impressive, is their excessive price and if someone wants to pay the Surefire price, it's none of my business.

Last edited:

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
To be clear, Surefire Vs NiteCore, in my opinion, the only thing about Surefire that's impressive, is their excessive price and if someone wants to pay the Surefire price, it's none of my business.

In other words, Surefire is not built any better than Nitecore?

Just wondering, new to this.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really need to ask someone that has some experience with both.

Thank-you for the suggestion.....as I have both. Many years ago, I started out with Surefire and have since migrated thru other manufactures to NiteCore. Since you doubt my comment, could you point out where I'm going wrong? Other than the price, what is so superior about Surefire lights that makes their lights worth the price Surefire is asking for their lights?

FWIW, I find absolutely nothing about a NiteCore, not to like. As an example, can you point out why I shouldn't like a TM16 and how Surefire makes a better, equal priced equivalent? Can you explain to me, why, when Surefire and NiteCore equivalents are set side-by-side, I should want to pay the Surefire price? What makes Surefire lights worth the price?

In other words, Surefire is not built any better than Nitecore?

Whether Surefire, JETBeam or NiteCore, I've never had any of my lights fail me. That said, for the price, Surefire lights are woefully underpowered by today's standards. Many of Surefire lights are spec'd to IPX-4 vs IPX-8; water resistant vs water proof.

I'm not bagging on Surefire lights so if someone wants to buy Surefire, it's their money to spend as they please.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the number of complaints on these boards, Nitecore is one of the lower quality "decent" brands common on these forums. Surefire is good quality, but has been slipping recently with some bad engineering on new designs.

However, Surefire doesn't really do anything innovative, and it's extremely expensive for what you get. Very poor value, IMO.

Nitecore quality issues probably are a result of it pushing innovation and using the latest tech. They produce a lot of new models, so they tend to rush things too much sometimes.

I don't own any Nitecore lights myself, because they don't really suit my niche interests, but they do have some interesting lights. Surefire... not so much, but people will buy them just because they are made in the U.S. I don't really care where lights are made; I care more about how they perform and what value they offer. Neither Nitecore or Surefire fall into the sweet spot for me.

ven

Flashaholic
Out of all my lights/brands one sticks out for being extra tough. Build,potted,nice ano.........armytek viking pro v2.5. Cant compare against surefire as i dont own,however they are well ahead of many other brands imo..........(if i had a HDS i am sure that would be with the toughest)
Of the olights i have(m20/mini/sr52/sr51),these are well made too,ahead of nitecore from the ones i have/had(p25/tm06/tm15/ea4/ea8)
Sunwayman i only have the v11r,nice build/ano but would not say built like a tank.
Fenix TK range are tough lights too:) and ones i have had are of higher quality than other similar brands.

Have a read through the review section, lots of options out there:)

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
( oiight, sunwayman, fenix etc)

I'd start there if you are on a budget. Fenix is a good light at a good price.

If not please Google: Malkoff MDC ($99) and HDS SYSTEMS ($250)

These are by far more reliable than anything mentioned so If you want to jump in swinging, check out Malkoff - an incredible value and indestructible.

Then when your down the line a bit.... add an HDS.

I guarantee 0 disappointment.

:welcome:

grimmata

Newly Enlightened
I've been using my nitecore MT26 as my EDC at work for over two and a half years. I work in a refinery and destroy flashlights, watches, boots, gloves, nomex, etc. My phone is encased in it's 3rd Ballistic Hard Core case in just under two years. I destroy equipment just from regular use. This flashlight gets banged around, has been dropped from 2nd and 3rd decks (I'm really clumsy), been smacked with large and small valve wrenches, pipe wrenches, etc. I even dropped this light from the top of my furnace deck (climbing onto stagging on the 3rd deck) and it bounced down 1 flight of metal steps then a long fall to grade. After 2+ years, other than losing some of the black finish, this light is in great shape and still outshines all of the more expensive lights other operators use. This light has been indestructible! They're selling online for almost half of what I originally spent.

I bought an Executive Defender and it was a pretty good light, no where near as bright as my MT26, but it was crushed by a 3" blind flange. Not worth anywhere near that price.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of all my lights/brands one sticks out for being extra tough. Build,potted,nice ano.........armytek viking pro v2.5. Cant compare against surefire as i dont own,however they are well ahead of many other brands imo..........

Yes, I'll second Armytek for lights that are built like a tank, and for a very reasonable price. Maybe not the prettiest lights, but if you're looking for something functional that will take drops and spills, Armytek is a great brand. Surefire and HDS are probably equally tough, but for many times the price, and output that is lacking today's standards.

mickb

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies and the debate above which also added to my knowledge. Being Australian we have wolfeyes here who I believe are contracted to supply two of our states police services with torches. Hence I considered them more reliable option than nitecore, but no real knowledge of either. I am pretty interested in Armytek now though.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I'll second Armytek for lights that are built like a tank, and for a very reasonable price. Maybe not the prettiest lights, but if you're looking for something functional that will take drops and spills, Armytek is a great brand. Surefire and HDS are probably equally tough, but for many times the price, and output that is lacking today's standards.

HDS is beyond durable and not even in the same galaxy for brute toughness. Especially up against un-potted light brand mentioned above.

HDS & Malkoff cannot be compared durability wise with much of anything really. Thats just science and stuff.....