New SF EB1 Tactical

hcd615

Enlightened
I received a new light today. The SF EB1 Tactical tail switch. I was always a fan of the LX2 and L1 tail switch and I bought the E1DL a while ago when it came out but wanted the twist tailcap again. I had a EB1 Click about 2 years ago but gave it to a family member. So I got the light today and love the UI, but the LED seems to be a bit green on low on a white wall. I will see how it is tonight in the dark. The E1DL has a great LED color. I am wondering if I should just go back to my trusty SMALL E1B and/or just carry the E1DL since the tailcap can be switched quickly (1 sec) from high to low

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is tint the only thing bugging you? If so, carry whichever light has the better UI, in your opinion. I think too many people on this forum get caught up on tint and don't consider functionality.

Last edited:

hcd615

Enlightened
@cland72 - I am going to carry the light tonight and see how it is. I also just purchased an Olight S10 XM-L2 Baton and the S15. I know it isn't a tank like a SF but it has nice features, both are VERY SMALL and each was approx $45 so I will try it also. All the reviews an YT videos I saw people liked it. I would use the Olights for walking the dog and such. Thank you

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
If u like special tint forget surefire. I did. If your life depends on flashlight and you want great customer service buy surefire and be confident it will always work...and be greenish

foxtrot824

Enlightened
+1 on the lousy tint. I swapped out my EB2 LED right away for that reason. If you're feeling bold, it's not a bad swap and the Osram Oslon does come in warmer tints as well as higher CRI.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the past Surefire has swapped out lights for people on the forums because the tint bothered them.

I've seen dealers do it as well. Especially some of the smaller ones that hang out around here.

Not sure where you bought it but call them up and explain. I'm sure you could work something out. I have a few EB1s and I'd gladly swap with you but the only tactical no shroud version I have is currently in my pocket and beat up. The mints are the other versions and sitting on a shelf.

hcd615

Enlightened
+1 on the lousy tint. I swapped out my EB2 LED right away for that reason. If you're feeling bold, it's not a bad swap and the Osram Oslon does come in warmer tints as well as higher CRI.

That is foreign to me, lol

hcd615

Enlightened
In the past Surefire has swapped out lights for people on the forums because the tint bothered them.

I've seen dealers do it as well. Especially some of the smaller ones that hang out around here.

Not sure where you bought it but call them up and explain. I'm sure you could work something out. I have a few EB1s and I'd gladly swap with you but the only tactical no shroud version I have is currently in my pocket and beat up. The mints are the other versions and sitting on a shelf.

Thank you for the offer, I am going out soon to walk my dog and try it out. I find that when using a light in the real world it is fine and the poor tint is only seen while white walk hunting.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the offer, I am going out soon to walk my dog and try it out. I find that when using a light in the real world it is fine and the poor tint is only seen while white walk hunting.

Usually my experience. The optic in my LX2 is ever so slightly off center. It doesn't have a 100% perfect hotspot. Shine it on a wall and it's obvious but when actually using it you could never know.

With time my OCD has eased and now I forget. Except when I use my 6PL.. the tint in those was so cool it is almost painful lol

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an EB1 as well with a green tint on low. It's really obvious next to another light, but I never really notice it when USING the light alone. Your eyes kind of white balance it for you. On high, it looks more neutral.
It's quite a nice little pocket thrower. Enjoy it.

rickyro

Enlightened
I have an EB1 as well with a green tint on low. It's really obvious next to another light, but I never really notice it when USING the light alone. Your eyes kind of white balance it for you. On high, it looks more neutral.
It's quite a nice little pocket thrower. Enjoy it.

Yes. Green but a nice little pocket thrower. So I will keep it and avoid to use it in low.

Thrower is not for close range, so actually we don't need to use it in low. Low is only needed when you have only this one flashlight with you. Then you will not notify it so much.

If you have any other light with you, then that one will be much better suited for close range use since they are normally not so thrower like a TIR implemented EB1.

And besides the thrower, EB1 features one of the best anodize, shining black like oiled.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'll watch for a sale. I don't mind a bad tint as much for throw. Got a new titanium 219b d25c clicky coming to take care of close up duty.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll watch for a sale. I don't mind a bad tint as much for throw. Got a new titanium 219b d25c clicky coming to take care of close up duty.

A few weeks back, the Clicky versions in Tan were selling on Amazon for right around $90-$95. These were new from Amazon, not used or from a reseller. They stayed at that price for around 24 hours. I was tempted to pick up an extra, but I really want the tactical switch version as I already have one with a Clicky.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I prefer black tactical but for a 60 dollar savings I would take clicky tan. If I saw that I'd put it in best deals thread.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer black tactical but for a 60 dollar savings I would take clicky tan. If I saw that I'd put it in best deals thread.

I thought about it, but usually those big, quiet Amazon price drops don't last too long.
I once saw the P2ZX going for $82. That was about 6 months back and changed back up to $125 when I woke up.

On the topic of the EB1, I highly recommend the Tan even though I'm not particularly fond of the color. The finish on the Tan has MUCH better grip than the black anno.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks. That is a great tip. To be honest I wish it were available in HA to match my other e series Surefire flashlights. I thought black would be good inc case I want to put an MDC head on it for a while.

hcd615

Enlightened
I guess the tint is fine in high but I might just stick with my E1DL since it is s bit smaller, brighter and excellent tint. I am sending it to MIK to get dental work on the bezel teeth. The E1DL has a regulated step down I guess you call it where the EB1 doesn't correct? Just wish he E1DL had the tactical tailcap.

hcd615

Enlightened
Another quick observation / question. The Black EB1 I just bought off Amazon thru SF does not have the QR code and Serial Number on the head. I have seen pics of EB1 lights with the head having that added info. Are they a new series head? Updated better color quality or lumens of the LED?? Does anyone know when that added info was put on the head?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another quick observation / question. The Black EB1 I just bought off Amazon thru SF does not have the QR code and Serial Number on the head. I have seen pics of EB1 lights with the head having that added info. Are they a new series head? Updated better color quality or lumens of the LED?? Does anyone know when that added info was put on the head?

Black EB1 Tactical Serial# A08666 - QR code on end of body right under the tailcap
Tan EB1 Clicly Serial# A07801-C - QR code on bezel

The optic appears to be the same. The LED does not though. I will take high quality pictures later but I can tell a difference in the two.

I can tell a slight difference in output.. The newer version seems to be slightly brighter with a bigger hotspot. It is hard to notice except the edge of the spill is slightly brighter on the tan one.

I bought the black one years ago. The tan only recently. I'm going to assume the -C at the end is to represent a slight modification. The emitter might be that modification.

Here is a link to how the serial number is on my new tan (not my picture and mine doesn't have the shroud).

Here is a link to how the serial number is on my old black (also not my picture but same version, a few hundred off from mine too).

Last edited: