Nitecore P12 2015 Version 1000 Lumens Review

GeraldLCPD

Newly Enlightened
Hi. This is my first review of flashlights, so forgive me if there are many different opinions about this light. (By the way, I live in Indonesia, apologize if there are different specs)
NITECORE has released a new version of the popular portable light P12, featuring new LED light (from XM-L T6 to XM-L2 U2) and has higher maximum output (960 lumens to 1000 lumens)

Personally, this is my first "Tactical" flashlight, so I've never reviewed one of them. I've just interested to tactical flashlights since I know that their specifications are awesome

This is the box of NITECORE 2015 Version I bought from Jakarta. Clearly there's a sign "2015 version" written on the box. The packaging was a bit damaged from shipping but the content is okay

_MG_0333.JPG

This is the contents of the box. It has the P12, holster, stainless steel clip, tactical ring, spare O-rings, spare tailswitch, warranty card, and instruction manual

_MG_0346.JPG

The NITECORE P12 2015 Version is a small, yet compact tactical flashlight. It has a black anodized finish (the body), and its labels are clearly marked on the side of the body. The grip is great overall

On manufacturer specifications, P12 provides 4 brightness levels along with 3 special modes. These are Lower (1 Lm/520 hrs), Low (70 Lm/28 hrs), Mid (240 Lm/6 hrs), and High (1000 Lm/ 1 hr 15 mins)

When I got the flashlight, it didn't ship with batteries. So I used the battery from an old laptop battery which contains 18650 cells. Fortunately, the batteries were not too "flat top" (the positive pole height is higher than the plastic cover), since NITECORE flashlights has included reverse polarity protection (patented).

P12 has the ability to tail stand. This is a nice additional feature that I expect from a tactical flashlight.
_MG_0316.JPG

User Interface
The P12 uses a military style forward click tactical switch, half press to temporary on, and full press for all functions. The MODE switch located on the side of the body controls the light operation (i.e. brightness levels, access to special modes)

P12 power sequences are Lower > Lo > Mid > High, and back to lower with every short press of the MODE button.
P12 has memory function, meaning that it will resume on the last brightness level used. Special modes are engaged with the long press (> 1 sec) of the MODE button. Special access sequences are STROBE > S.O.S > LOCATION BEACON. In addition to memory function of the last level used, P12 has a memory function for ONLY Strobe, probably for self-defense purposes.

All NITECORE products, has a voltage indicator. In P12, the indicator is a blue LED located on the MODE button, which displays power levels when the light is on, and a secondary multimeter function (Accuracy is 0,1 V)
According to NITECORE, the Blue LED will flash every 2 seconds if battery power has dropped to 50%, and will flash rapidly when power has dropped further.
_MG_0040.JPG

You can read battery voltage accurate to 0.1 V by pressing the MODE button while simultaneously pressing the tail cap button. Battery voltage is indicated by flashes (4.2V battery will have 4 short flashes, pause 1 sec, and resumed by 2 flashes [▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▬ ▪ ▪])

Beamshot photos
p12%20Beamshot%20.jpg

Pros and Cons
Pros :
- Small tactical light
- Portable
- Has very high brightness despite its size
- IPX-8 waterproof (Great!!!)
- Perfect for EDC flashlight carriers
- Tail stand capability

Cons :
- LED doesn't have location beacon feature (Blue LED)
- Included tactical ring accessory falls easily when hit by something
- It would be nice if there is a standard tripod socket for upcoming P12

My Personal Experience
Overall P12 is a good flashlight, small yet powerful light. For a mobile person like me, I would give a 9/10 score for this light. I just expect NITECORE to add more features (and of course, more lumens.) to the upcoming version of P12 (i.e. Tripod socket). I would love to bring a portable tactical light that can be mounted on a standard tripod

What is interesting on this NITECORE flashlight (among all of my standard, non-tactical flashlight) is that the light WILL NOT turn on until its caps are fully sealed. Even a slight loose on either cap will turn off the light. So I'm sure that IPX-8 waterproof rating worked great. Personally, I've tested it in a swimming pool with depth of 1,2 m

P12 runtime is good overall, although actual battery capacity is not rated (old unused 18650 cell laptop battery, has 6 in stock), P12 can still maintain around 30 minutes running at full output (30m x 6 = around 180m). Users should note that the light temperature will increase quickly if it's kept running at 1000 lumens for a long time

In my opinion, it would be great if NITECORE add more features such as Special modes memory function (All modes, not just strobes).
And most of all, Thanks to NITECORE for developing this Product.

*Update:
After a short PWM "Camera" Test, I've found out that P12 has a little PWM when in 70 lm output (Low)
Other output levels does not have PWM

*Update 2 :
My PWM Test method was wrong. I made a mistake when "Turning the lights towards you" method.
The Result is that PWM is not found on ALL outputs

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive had both the original P12 and the 2015. Besides the voltage meter under the side switch I am not impressed by either vs the competition. The turbo to high drop is still way to much for me and the light gets to hot to quick. Do not be surprised if NC drops a 2016 version that is thermally regulated and has a more practical 500 or so lumen high mode to drop down to. Fenix has its excellent XP-L TAC, even Jetbeam just put out an XP-L WL-S2 which is outstanding BTW. The P12 needs to take a big step up to remain competitive against its main PD35 series rival. Got the new MH20 and it basically made the P12 obsolete so Idk whats going on at NC...

GeraldLCPD

Newly Enlightened
Ive had both the original P12 and the 2015. Besides the voltage meter under the side switch I am not impressed by either vs the competition. The turbo to high drop is still way to much for me and the light gets to hot to quick. Do not be surprised if NC drops a 2016 version that is thermally regulated and has a more practical 500 or so lumen high mode to drop down to. Fenix has its excellent XP-L TAC, even Jetbeam just put out an XP-L WL-S2 which is outstanding BTW. The P12 needs to take a big step up to remain competitive against its main PD35 series rival. Got the new MH20 and it basically made the P12 obsolete so Idk whats going on at NC...

Thanks CelticCross74 for your advice. you see, this is my first light review, also my first post. btw, the P12 is also my first tactical light. so once again i apologise if there are many mistakes on my review. Thanks once again

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey your review is just fine and pretty accurate. My single biggest gripe with the P12 and some other Nitecores is that the tactical ring is cheap plastic. Other than that and my gripe about the jump between turbo and high P12 is a good light with more features than the competition. In terms of output the new TAC35 is putting out over 1000 lumens. If you get the chance get any PD35 doesnt matter if its the original "850 lumen" model, the 2014 edition etc. You should notice that the Fenix aluminum just feels thicker than the NC..

GeraldLCPD

Newly Enlightened
CelticCross74, Thanks once again for your advice
Anyway, I saw a new Fenix flashlight, TK16. Features include dual tactical switch located in the tail. Looks like it is going to be my next collection of tactical flashlight. it wasn't too expensive though. in Indonesia, it was priced IDR 1.184.000 or $100 in the U.S (Fenix website). TK16 also has 1000 lumens output too. I'm gonna see how Fenix build quality differs from NC

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow man! You are in Indonesia! Missed that part lol! You should love the TK16 heck I want one! Very stout design the TK16 is. Dual layer aluminum body must feel very stout indeed. $100 I guess is not that terrible. Here in the US it is $80. 1000 lumens that is correct! When Fenix says 1000 lumens they mean it! The TK16 should blow away your P12 easily. The tactical ring on the TK16 is metal instead of plastic, the TK16 with its dual layer body design will feel ten times as durable and tough as your P12, having both switches in the tail is excellent for true one handed use. You should notice a pretty stark difference overall. My advice is to attain a quality 3400mah 18650 cell for the light as that mah rating is what Fenix got their ANSI ratings with. One last word of advice, no light comes from the factory with the electrical contact points of the body parts clean. I always take apart my lights(head, tube, tailcap)and wipe down the surfaces of each body part that connects/comes in contact with the conductive part on the next piece with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip before I even put a cell in a new light and turn it on for the first time. Cleaning the contact points on a couple of my lights has solved a lot of problems I have had with malfunctioning lights. Just my two cents.

Outstanding choice for your next light!