Stevie Ray Vaughan

27th Aug 1990, Stevie Ray Vaughan was killed when the helicopter he was flying in, hit a man-made ski slope while trying to navigate through dense fog. Vaughan had played a show at Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, Wisconsin with Robert Cray & His Memphis Horns, and Eric Clapton. Vaughan was informed by a member of Clapton's crew that three seats were open on a helicopter returning to Chicago with Clapton's crew, it turned out there was only one seat left; Vaughan requested it from his brother, who obliged. Three members of Eric Clapton's entourage were also killed.

Full story here: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/stevie_ray_vaughan

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
a great loss to the world of music! I love his stuff!

It might have been a year or two after then, but I was skiing at Alpine Valley, and on the way home encountered some really dense fog. It was bad enough creeping along in a car... I can't imagine getting into that stuff in a helicopter in hilly terrain.

scout24

Flashaholic
Saw him twice here in the northeast as a kid, phenomenal guitarist. A huge loss for music fans. Can't believe it's been that long...

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
I got snuck in to a venue when I was 16. Wish I really paid attention. As I got older, I bought all his stuff. If I could go back to that night knowing what I know now, I'd have a better story to tell that's for sure.

RIP SRV.

kkay

Newly Enlightened
I have always loved Stevie Ray Vaughan. I wanted to name my son Stevie Ray, in honor of him. My ex husband wasn't going for it though.
dunno.gif
Stevie's music is as good today, as it was back then. Stevie Ray was the BEST as far as I am concerned.
music_guitar.gif

I have always loved Stevie Ray Vaughan. I wanted to name my son Stevie Ray, in honor of him. My ex husband wasn't going for it though.
dunno.gif
Stevie's music is as good today, as it was back then. Stevie Ray was the BEST as far as I am concerned.
music_guitar.gif

Yeah, I'm with the X on that one. No man wants his son named after some unrelated dude. :wtf:

~ Chance

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still remember the first time I watched a video of him. I believe it was Mary had a little lamb. I hold him in the same regard as I do Page and Hendrix.. except sorry Stevie but Page is always my top spot :thumbsup:

kkay

Newly Enlightened
Page and Hendrix were both great, no doubt about it. But I prefer the blues & rock mix that SRV played.

It wasn't long after the death of SRV. My husband's middle name was Ray. We went through a whole list of names, before making the final choice. (My husband didn't want his son to have the same name as he did, because he was a junior, named after his dad.)