What happens to old light stock?

markr6

Flashaholic
I always wondered what happened to older model lights after a manufacturer updates them, especially after several updates.

The Fenix PD32UE is a good example. The PD35 came out, sort of replacing the PD32UE. Then the PD35 was updated several times. Just out of curiosity, I would check prices on Amazon now and then. Ironically, the PD32UE seemed to get more expensive, maybe $59, then $65, then closer to $75 or so. This was from several sellers on Amazon. Then pretty much overnight, they disappeared. None of the usual "Only 8 left" message either.

I would think they would have hit $50 or so (close to the original sale price from some vendors) to clear them out. :thinking:

D6859

Enlightened
I was wondering the same thing when I was ordering my Predator Pro v2.5 Warm. I could have gotten it from a company for 69 euros but they sold them out when I didn't have money to place the order. When I got money the light cost me 105 euros from another company. It seems the warm version is so rare that it still costs considerably much more than the CW version.

markr6

Flashaholic
I thought about the good old supply and demand, but I don't know about that in these situations where the model is very outdated. Maybe some companies donate them? Employees get them real cheap?

insanefred

Enlightened
My guess is that some companies have outlet stores (that are not available on-line), or sell them off at decent discounts to professionals. The ones you see that have a inflated price is probably for people who are collectors maybe.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
Some models seem to linger on. I know one online store that still has the Fenix PD32 (315 lumen version), Fenix LD25 (NW 180 lumen), Fenix E21 (135 lumen) and other discontinued models on their clearance page and they appear to really have them in stock.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like old stock and look for stuff at Amazon as they have lots of sellers who either still have some or bought it from the manufacturer. Many times the product upgrade doesn't suit my purpose as well as the pre-upgrade version.