Arc4 Pocketclip

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
There have been quite a few posts concerning the pocketclips. This is an attempt to aid those who are wondering what to expect and how to adjust it. Please note, I'm speaking from what I've found to be present in my RC-2 and production Arc4. Your results may vary.

Expect the pocketclip to come in a seperate ZipLock (TM) bag with 2-screws. This bag will be contained in the bag which holds your Arc4 and instruction sheet. The 1st thing I suggest is to handle your light for a couple days without the pocketclip. See how that feels. When you're ready to install the pocketclip, dry fit it first. Hold it in position, line up the screws-holes and hold it flush to the mounting area. I expect you'll see about 1/4" space where the contact area would normally touch the cell tube. If you like it loose like that, find a small-head phillips screwdriver and go at it. I suggest putting the 1st screw in half way, that the other one. Take turns tightning up each screw, in turn. Don't overtighten. If you prefer a tighter fit, very carefully, get some softshell plyers or cover the U-bend of the clip with a towel or something. Take you plyers and very carefully squeeze at the point where the U-bend is on the clip. It's that bend which is closest to the bezel end up past where it would be mounted. Take it slow and squeeze softly and try the dry-fit test again. Repeat as needed, until the desired tension is achieved. Once completed, mount the pocketclip as instructed above.

A couple folks reported breaking the pocketclip. I expect that to be caused by either squeezing way too hard at the U-bend or possibly closing the bend too small then needeing to pry it opened again, causing the break. I've done 2-pocketclips so far and both have been fine.

carmel

Newly Enlightened
this_is-nascar,

I'm on record as having desired a lanyard ring instead of a clip for the Arc4, but I do love my Arc4. I still think it's true to say, however, that the particular clip on the Arc4 does not meet the standard of the rest of the flashlight: they're supposed to grip pretty well, I would think, and apparently they don't, and they probably shouldn't break when one tries to adjust one that does not do so. And one should probably not need detailed insructions about how to screw them on so things don't get screwed up. They're also kind of ugly.

Let's applaud the flashlight, but be realisitc about the clip. . . . Now that I've mastered the "click" routine in the Brightness Menu, I'm a very happy camper with my Arc4.

carmel

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks for your input. I guess I should have named the thread differently, as this was intended to help those who have already asked about attaching the clip and adjusting it. It really wasn't meant to debate the usefullness of the clip or suggest other alternatives.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will wait for the Arc4.1+,
Meanwhile, this popcorn is rather tastey! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I would be suprised if the next lights to ship had the clip gap problem addressed already as Peter is very quick when it comes to solving these things, not to mention beating his own anounced deadlines, look how quickly the cell reading problem was solved with the upgrade! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am looking forward to a good clip on the Arc 4. Thanks for the instructions TIN!

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
is the gap thing a "problem" though?

i personally prefer a tight connection, but maybe it was designed to have a gap?
i can't say that i've heard of clips with gaps before, but i suppose it's possible.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'd say it was not a design issue. There are folks who want it to be lose like that. I've always found it easier to tighten the clip rather then untighten it, so shipping it with a gap like that is fine with me.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
is the gap thing a "problem" though?

i personally prefer a tight connection, but maybe it was designed to have a gap?
i can't say that i've heard of clips with gaps before, but i suppose it's possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the posts concerning the gap, say that there is a 3/16" to 1/4" gap between the clip and the body at the point that is supposed to grab onto material IMHO it makes the feature useless without a user adjustment that is difficult to do on a tempered clip without fatiguing the metal at the bend or snapping the clip ( which has happened and although Ray's instructions are good it's still a little risky), I would think that it wasn't the intention to have such a large gap, as the pre-production Arc4 photos show the clip in contact or near contact with the body, since the light is shipped without the clip installed it would be an easy issue to have missed, they are likely binned seperately.

Maybe I should restate it as a QC concern and not neccessarily a "problem" Maybe the fabricator of the production clips didn't bend them far enough or maybe they moved or expanded in the tempering process? Only Peter can tell us what has happened or if it was intentional. I still can't wait to get mine, been playing with the flight simulator in anticipation!

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it does. The clip makes sense if you like to carry it on your belt, but its still not super-secure. Its not bad though, a little bit of tweaking with a pair of pliers should fix it easily enough.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:The clip makes sense if you like to carry it on your belt, but its still not super-secure.

[/ QUOTE ]
----------
I carry my "favorite ARC LS EDC" on my keyring with a Berkeley mini-clip. I can't afford to carry this new torch on my belt with a clip that's "not super-secure"...It would be nice to have an option...

Yes I realize that the belt pouch is available, I own 3 of those - I just don't carry my torches on my belt.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
MichiganMan: Mine came with a gap(about 1/4") between the clip and the body. Ive had to use pliers to bend it closer, but theres still not enough tension to make it feel secure. OTOH, if the clip was as tight as the SF E2e one, it would scuff the body every time you unscrewed it to change the battery.

Sigman: i carry my EDC clipped to my pocket too (rear pocket), and the clip definately not tight enough for me to risk carrying my new pressscioussss this way.

paulr

Flashaholic
For belt carry I'd rather use a McGizmo-type cell phone clip button, screwed into one of the Arc4's existing clip holes somehow.

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
I'm all for a McLux-ish titanium clip, which is pretty much rust proof and retains shape well.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:

MichiganMan: Mine came with a gap(about 1/4") between the clip and the body. Ive had to use pliers to bend it closer, but theres still not enough tension to make it feel secure. OTOH, if the clip was as tight as the SF E2e one, it would scuff the body every time you unscrewed it to change the battery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems that even if the clip contacted the battery compartment in use, it would be a simple matter of holding it away with your thumb while you unscrew or screw the compartment on/off to keep from scratching it up. I just don't see having to "tweak" a component of a $180 light with pliers as being a feesible option for the average consumer, especially a tempered part that could be weakened or break in the process. I know Peter would be good for the replacement of a broken one, I just don't think it's a good thing to have people doing as a general practice on a high-end consumer product.

Status
Not open for further replies.