What Flashlights Take The 10440?

theeverydaycarry

Newly Enlightened
I currently use a Streamlight Microstream and a 10440 now, but I was wondering if anyone runs any other AAA lights on the 10440?

uofaengr

Enlightened
I run a 10440 in my copper Prometheus Beta. I don't run it on max for prolonged periods, but if there's a little light that can handle the heat better, I'd think it'd be this one.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Fenix E05ss modded to direct drive, running 10440. Great little light. It's my sub-compact EDC wall of light blaster.

I've a few other AAA/10440 lights, but most of them seem crap (at least the ones I've tried so far.)

Few makers seem to want to take advantage of the zap that 10440 brings to the table.

SL Microstream 10440 is still a favorite on my ankle holster.

onthebeam

Enlightened
I run one of my ITP A3 EOS on a Soshine 10440 with no issues. However, I'm careful not to run on high for too long. Once it's really warm, time to go to medium which is very bright on its own.

Also run my Liteflux LF2 on 10440. That two stage light is a rare bird these days. The firefly mode was a bit dim for me and with the 10440 just right for Late night checking on kids and feeding midnight snack to the cat. On high it's probably only 60 lumens and doesn't warm up too much.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many AAA's that will handle it. SOMETIMES, Depending on the driver, there isn't much benefit. But it makes a huge difference in some. Also beware sometimes a light that has a different led may have a different driver too, even in a body of a light that is well known for handling 10440's. So in other words, double check you specific light prior to use or be aware you may melt some stuff. Keep the run times short.

Lights I know and some I have tried them out on: Keep in mind, it depends on the individual lights set up too.

TANK007
Olight
maratac
EagleTac D25AAA
Surefire Titan (I read where some folks tried them, doubtful it is necessary)
TrustFire SS (Nichia modded)
Peak Eiger
I hear the Thrunite will work them too. Never owned one to try.
TNC NanoLux
TNC MicroLux (Flamethrower!)

I have wanted to but never tired it in a Beta, or Fenix LD02. Fenix says it is a No Go, but you know how that goes.

I am sure others can chime in with more. I know there are many more now than just a few years ago.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, didn't Maratac say that 10440 voids the warranty?

http://www.countycomm.com/aaa.html
A Note From The Legal Department: We do not recommend the use of 10440 Rechargable batterys with this flashlight. It is designed to use a off the shelf alkaline, lithium, NiMH or Nicad AA batteries. We do not recommend use of higher voltage batteries.

I know we can get away with it in short bursts, but the maker explicitly forbids it. :(

scintillator

Enlightened
Hi
I have been happy with Eagletac D25AAA nicha 219 version.Efest IMR 350mah,with a solder ball
on + side to make it a button top.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I run 10440s in my Preon. It puts out about 300 lumens. I carry it when I need something small and light. Here is a link to some tests. LINK It is pretty amazing actually.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run a 10440 in my copper Prometheus Beta. I don't run it on max for prolonged periods, but if there's a little light that can handle the heat better, I'd think it'd be this one.

Seem to lose Moonlight. I happened to try it yesterday by chance and came across this thread today.

uofaengr

Enlightened
Seem to lose Moonlight. I happened to try it yesterday by chance and came across this thread today.
Yep. I never really considered the low 1 lumen mode a moonlight anyway. Frankly a bit more useful than ML to me. The modes appear roughly 15-85-200+.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I didn't know that préon p1 could take 10440.

I bought my Preon(2)s back when FourSevens was 4Sevens and they didn't call them P1 and P2, so I don't know if they have changed the internals on them or not. Mine takes a 10440 with no problem at all. I don't think FourSevens recommends it though. Now or then.:naughty:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. I never really considered the low 1 lumen mode a moonlight anyway. Frankly a bit more useful than ML to me. The modes appear roughly 15-85-200+.
Yeah, agreed. I'll give it another try. I just ran it through the modes twice and took it out.

Naam Penn

Newly Enlightened
I have a DQG that is rated for 10440 but it did not work with an ultrafire 10440.

Flashy808

Enlightened
I'm with more_vamps a Fenix E05ssvn with the brightest option (or what more_vamps said) is a great little pocket rocket :).

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a DQG that is rated for 10440 but it did not work with an ultrafire 10440.
Step 1 when you have a new light that miraculously doesn't work with a lion and should: Try a button top. If you cant/wont source button tops, you can flux the battery positive and add a glob of solder to make the contact. Many 10440 lights hate flat tops, most 10440 batts are flat tops. Why? Beats me. :(

I'm with more_vamps a Fenix E05ssvn with the brightest option (or what more_vamps said) is a great little pocket rocket :).
:thumbsup:Sexy light, sexy mod. My GF even respects it, she says "it rocks." It was one of the few lights that made her almost break her lifelong commitment to Maglite. That's saying something, she's extremely stubborn.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
10440 in a light that is not rated for more than 1.5 volts is something that people commonly report getting away with. The lack of a protection circuit in the light is considered unsafe to use with higher voltage batteries, by the manufacturers.

Some people Chooe IMR batteries which contain their own discharge protection circuit, to protect the battery. This does not protect the LED itself.

Im not sure, but Im getting a hunch that people that run 10440, use low CRI, high Kelvin LEDs, because they care more about brightness than tint.

The lights that are manufacturer rated for 10440 single that I have read about, no personal experience, are Peak Eiger, EagleTac D25aaa, and Vinh single mode conversions, as well as his DriverVN. EagleTac does offer N219, as does Peak.

So if the question is which lights do people get away with using a 10440 despite the light not being rated for the voltage, well, pretty much any AAA. But if the question is which lights are RATED for the voltage of the 10440.. then there are just 3 or 4 I have heard of..

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a copper Maratac modded by Vinh with an XP-G2 N. The whole body gets warm on a 10440. But you can have your tint and eat it too.

uofaengr

Enlightened
10440 in a light that is not rated for more than 1.5 volts is something that people commonly report getting away with. The lack of a protection circuit in the light is considered unsafe to use with higher voltage batteries, by the manufacturers.

Some people Chooe IMR batteries which contain their own discharge protection circuit, to protect the battery. This does not protect the LED itself.

Im not sure, but Im getting a hunch that people that run 10440, use low CRI, high Kelvin LEDs, because they care more about brightness than tint.

The lights that are manufacturer rated for 10440 single that I have read about, no personal experience, are Peak Eiger, EagleTac D25aaa, and Vinh single mode conversions, as well as his DriverVN. EagleTac does offer N219, as does Peak.

So if the question is which lights do people get away with using a 10440 despite the light not being rated for the voltage, well, pretty much any AAA. But if the question is which lights are RATED for the voltage of the 10440.. then there are just 3 or 4 I have heard of..
No high Kelvins here. I like 10440 with my Nichia 219 because it makes the little Beta more versatile to me with a latest estimation of approximately 240 hi CRI lumens on high. I doubt the light has been ran on high with 10440 for more than 20 seconds at a time since I've had it. If the emitter burns out in my lifetime then so be it, but I try to be smart about it. If I care that much about the light by then, I'm sure I can find someone to repair it. Life's too short for cheap knives and inadequate lumens lol. [emoji3]