Dedome Maglite 2015 new LED light ML50L

konifans

Enlightened
I just got a Maglite new light - 2 C-cell ML50L. Official specification claimed that it has 490 lumens.
I cannot imagine how can a 2-cell alkaline flashlight do such high output. It is in fact very bright.

When compare with a 2C Maglite incan the size is smaller:
DSC_1556.jpg

No more knurling on the head:
DSC_1549.jpg

DSC_1586.jpg

The LED looks like a XM-L2?
DSC_1620.jpg

The color tint looks like this:
DSC_1626.jpg

I don't like the color tint so I get the LED dedomed for a warmer tint.
DSC_1979ps.jpg

Then this is what I finally got:
Left: Maglite 2AA LED Pro (224lm), Centre: ML50L dedomed, Right: 6V Xenon incandescent bulb
DSC_1964.jpg

This is a before-and-after dedome comparison of the color tint:
From left to right: Maglite 2AA LED (224lm), ML50L 2C, Olight S10, Olight S10 NW
ps3.jpg

Apart from the color tint change, the light throw much longer distance.

I use 2 AA Eneloop batteries in this light (the tail cap spring needs to be cut shorter) for a runtime of about 1 hour and 15 minutes on hight output, plus a few hours low (ECO) output. For a LED flashlight using 2 alkaline or NiMh batteries the light output is amazing.
DSC_1974.jpg

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. I almost picked one of those up the other day. To tinker with. I noticed it was smaller. The price is fair. I am sure the general public will snap these up. I too was impressed with the output for two C cells.
Does the body feel as thick as the incan version? I was wondering if they made it feel "cheaper"? If that makes sense.

You should do the spring mod too! :) Solder a wire from the top to bottom contact points. Really get all that juice out of those AA's! Ha!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like an XML2 to me. Are there NiMH C cells? Ive got the new 3rd Gen XML2 D cell Mags they are outstanding. There are plenty of AA adapters available (should be) to at least allow you to run 4 AA's.

thospress

Newly Enlightened
Cool. I almost picked one of those up the other day. To tinker with. I noticed it was smaller. The price is fair. I am sure the general public will snap these up. I too was impressed with the output for two C cells.
Does the body feel as thick as the incan version? I was wondering if they made it feel "cheaper"? If that makes sense.

It does feel noticeably lighter and less substantial than its incan predecessor but it's actually a very nice and useful light, and not "cheap" feeling. The 3 brightness levels are easily accessed and offer ideal choices.

Latest posts