Every cloud has a silver lining (broken pocket clip)

D6859

Enlightened
I was trying to bend the pocket clip of my TN12 to get it attach easier to my pocket when...

tn12_mistake.jpg

... oops! I tried to file and bend the broken part so that I still could use it but it is too short. I then remembered the pocket clip that came with Predator and it fits TN12 aswell.

tn12_lining.jpg

It doesn't attach to pocket as well as the original, but now I got the black pocket clip that I've wanted! I don't use the pocket clip in Predator because it's a little bit too long and touches the head when tightening it and makes awful noise. Nice that I could recycle the clip into another flashlight!

light-modder

Enlightened
^Hehe. That's cool that you were able to use another clip. And the fact that you didn't want it on the other light just makes it that much better. I all but broke a clip tonight at work. It was supper loose anyway. Caught on something, not sure what, bent it straight out. As I bent it back it broke. Not completely but it won't take much.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never really like the pocket clip on the TN12. Mine is the 2016 edition and has a black clip, but even the black looks painted on because it starts peeling off at the edges just a couple of days into carrying the TN12. But the main reason why I dislike the clip is because it felt loose, ok not very loose but definitely not as tight as the one on the Fenix PD35 TAC.

D6859

Enlightened
I never really like the pocket clip on the TN12. Mine is the 2016 edition and has a black clip, but even the black looks painted on because it starts peeling off at the edges just a couple of days into carrying the TN12. But the main reason why I dislike the clip is because it felt loose, ok not very loose but definitely not as tight as the one on the Fenix PD35 TAC.

The Predator clip is a little loose too. There's 1+ mm gap that let's the body of the flashlight move up and down through the surrounding clip. But it seems to work quite well attaching the flashlight into my pocket securely. It doesn't seem as secure for belt carry as the original, but that's what I've got the holster for.

D6859

Enlightened

How do you find the 2016 edition otherwise? I'm trying to hold back and not order the NW version yet.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you find the 2016 edition otherwise? I'm trying to hold back and not order the NW version yet.
I am not too sure. Never owned a pre 2016 edition for comparison but so far the tint for the neutral white seems pleasant. I had bought a Fenix PD35 TAC prior to the TN12 2016 and they seemed to share the same brightness and throw on the highest output despite the Fenix being an XP-L cool white, and the Thrunite an XM-L neutral white. I had expected the Fenix to throw slightly better since XP-L has a slightly smaller die size and should in theory throw better but was surprised the TN12 threw its beam as well as the PD35 TAC. Other than the first few days of use, the TN12 has been sitting in the drawer because I EDC the Fenix more as I preferred the availability of an extra set of tactical UI on the Fenix.

D6859

Enlightened
I am not too sure. Never owned a pre 2016 edition for comparison but so far the tint for the neutral white seems pleasant. I had bought a Fenix PD35 TAC prior to the TN12 2016 and they seemed to share the same brightness and throw on the highest output despite the Fenix being an XP-L cool white, and the Thrunite an XM-L neutral white. I had expected the Fenix to throw slightly better since XP-L has a slightly smaller die size and should in theory throw better but was surprised the TN12 threw its beam as well as the PD35 TAC. Other than the first few days of use, the TN12 has been sitting in the drawer because I EDC the Fenix more as I preferred the availability of an extra set of tactical UI on the Fenix.

So no reason for me not to order it... except my wallet. I'm trying to sell one of my lights to my friend so I could afford to buy the new TN12 :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
So no reason for me not to order it... except my wallet. I'm trying to sell one of my lights to my friend so I could afford to buy the new TN12 :)
If Thrunite TN12 is what you like and wanted, I see no reasons not to. It is a decent flashlight although I can't be too sure about its reliability since I am still quite new to it. I did however came across some negative feedback in YouTube claiming that their TN12 (prior to the 2016 model) failing over a drop or two and that is quite disconcerting. I hope Thrunite had beefed up on the 2016 model and I hope the issues have been ironed out.

Last edited:

D6859

Enlightened
If Thrunite TN12 is what you like and wanted, I see no reasons not to. It is a decent flashlight although I can't be too sure about its reliability since I am still quite new to it. I did however came across some negative feedback in YouTube claiming that their TN12 (prior to the 2016 model) failing over a drop or two and that is quite disconcerting. I hope Thrunite had beefed up on the 2016 model and I hope the issues have been ironed out.

I've also read some threads where ppl complain dropping the light only once and breaking it. I have dropped mine countless times during the 1.5 years I've carried it. I must have been either lucky or the flashlight is from a better batch as it has taken the beating. I think that the problem with these LED lights is that you never know... With an incandescent you cold be almost sure to break it if you dropped it :D

I almost ordered the NW version of 2014 model this summer, but I think the improvements in 2016 model are what I have been waiting for (though the initial reason for not ordering was that I didn't have money :D )

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the mode spacing like on your 2014 version? I am afraid I did not do much research about pass models and have no idea what the mode spacing is like. On the current version which I have, I just disliked the huge difference between low and medium. First we have the firefly mode which is good for situation where maybe you don't want to disturb someone who is sleeping. Next will be low which is ok if you don't need too much light, but I find that low is sometimes a little too dim for hiking a trail, so instinctively I bump it up to medium but the output jumps so much it is too bright. Would have preferred a lower medium output and this seems to be the issue I faced with my Thrunite Neutron 1A. Is this predominant with all of Thrunite's mode spacing? The Fenix PD35 TAC is very evenly spaced out although it lacks a firefly mode.

D6859

Enlightened
Comparison of mode spacings:
2016:
Turbo (1050lm/95min), High (370lm/4.2hrs), Medium (145lm/11.8hrs), Low (11lm/5.5days), Firefly (0.4lm/74days).
2014:
Turbo (1050lm/90min), High (800lm/1.5hrs), Medium (280lm/5hrs), Low (20lm/74hrs), Firefly (0.3lm/1585hrs).

The problem with 2014 is that the difference between turbo and high is notable only with fresh battery. The turbo mode decreases down to high mode level really fast so it useless. That leaves you with 4 actual useful modes. Think about the jump from 20 to 280 lm that I have! It seems your mode spacing is much better with 5 useful modes. I only wish they had left the 20 lm mode untouched. I think it would satisfy your needs too. On the other hand, I'm afraid it's impossible to space the modes suitable for everyone when you have range from 0.3 lm to 1050 lm to cover with only 5 modes.

This thread has gone a bit offtopic, but:
Would you be able to post some picture comparing the tint of your TN12 and PD35 TAC? I would appreciate a lot! I'm especially interested how TN12 looks in the nature.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm afraid it's impossible to space the modes suitable for everyone when you have range from 0.3 lm to 1050 lm to cover with only 5 modes.

This is the elephant in the room. It has been a problem for some time, especially since flashlights began to routinely output 1000 lumens. As outputs continue to rise, things will only get worse.

The Zebralight UI typically provides 11 output levels (plus blinky modes). You can only use them in certain combinations, however, so not everyone has been satisfied. Nevertheless, ZL gives you more choices than most other brands.

The Nitecore P36 uses an innovative mode dial that makes it easy to select from 10 different output levels ranging between 2 and 2000 lumens. The Fenix TK35UE, a similar MT-G2 flashlight, offers only 4 output levels, covering a range between 25 and 1800 lumens. Needless to say, the P36 gives you more options.

Nitecore has added a second mode button on some of its recent models. One button increases brightness; the other decreases it. This simple change makes it easier for designers to include more output levels. The Nitecore MT20A, for instance, use 5 levels to span a range from 1 to 360 lumens. In previous eras, you would rarely see so many levels used to cover a range of only 360 lumens.

D6859

Enlightened
Nitecore has added a second mode button on some of its recent models. One button increases brightness; the other decreases it. This simple change makes it easier for designers to include more output levels. The Nitecore MT20A, for instance, use 5 levels to span a range from 1 to 360 lumens. In previous eras, you would rarely see so many levels used to cover a range of only 360 lumens.

Oh, that's interesting! Having 3 buttons seems to give you many options: instant turbo / red, location beacon, lockout...