Unauthorized credit card use

bmsmith

Enlightened
Just found a charge on my card that wasn't from me.
The last couple of months I've bought from a lot of places, so my info could have been taken from anywhere, but the real kicker is whoever it was had the right name, address, and CVV number from the back of the credit card. Some online places ask for this number, and I'm betting it was somehow stolen from someone's database.
Some of my purchases were from dealers in this forum. Many other purchases were not. Some purchases were from B&M stores. I'm ruling out B&M stores because they don't ask for my address or the CVV number. I don't remember which online stores ask for the CVV number at checkout.

Anyway, be careful out there and always check your credit card balances online. I found this problem just two days after it happened. Hopefully there won't be problems, although the CVV probably muddies the waters because it is thought to only be known by the person holding the card in their hand.

Some people.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

- Brian

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gotten in the habit of clearing the box that says "keep my information" because I received charges shortly after the news put up a story about amazon or someone big being hacked and someone getting credit card numbers. My Citibank card has a place where I can log on to their site and generate a "virtual" card number which is only good for one use. So each time I make a purchase I do that so if someone does get the number its not any good to them.

bmsmith

Enlightened
Eugene,
I've begun doing that too for the past year or so. I'd rather have to type in all my info when ordering than have the site be hacked and my info stolen. Of course I still have some internet sites that have my info from before I changed my policy, but now it doesn't matter because that CC info was for the card I just cancelled.

The virtual card idea is a good one I think, but I don't think my CC company has such a thing yet. I'll check.

Latest posts