Solid State Gun

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The technology has no known equivalent, and can provide an electronically variable burst rate of fire, from conventionally slow to previously unobtainable rates, in excess of one million rounds per minute."

Metal Storm

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I don't know much about this stuff, but this reminds me of the electronic controls used for firing pyrotechnics displays. Only without perforating anything.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, watch the videos. One of them even has a CGI of it being used for that very purpose. I dont know guns either, but i saw a report on TV about these, and i had to look at the website. The clip showing it launch 40mm grenades at 3000 rpm is most impressive.

LukeK

Enlightened
That's pretty incredible stuff. I agree -- the 3,000 - 1,000,000(!) Rounds per minute videos are absolutely amazing. However, I was just watching the video for the Odwyer hand gun. Seems since everything is electronic then this gun would be rather useless were an EMP to go off. Obviously that's hardly a normal circumstance, but an interesting weakness nonetheless and something to think about as everything seems to be heading in the direction of electronics these days.

Sharp

Enlightened
There are some ways to shield electronics from EMPs. I guess that if those guns were to be used in real life with risks of EMP exposure they would be shielded.

Richard

Avix

Newly Enlightened
these guys pop up every year or so, no military in the world has shown any interest after takeing a quick initial look. they do have a good Media Machine though, and it is kinda cool, but can you imagine the logistics of trying to resupply any of those things? or reloading them under fire?

(and where do you need to use 1,000,000 rounds in 60 seconds? what a waste of logistical support)

Claymore/Mines/MG's are a much better choice I think.

paulr

Flashaholic
Cool stuff. Their FAQ discusses the 1M round/minute thing. Obviously you can't fire it for a full minute--you'd vaporize the gun even if you had that many bullets. The purpose is shooting fast moving targets. For example, you're driving a military vehicle and someone shoots an antitank missile at you. The missile is launched at Mach 2 from 500 yards, so it's going to hit you in 1/8th of a second from when your radar picks it up and activates your defense system. At one million rounds/minute your defense system's automatic fire control can shoot 500 bullets in 1/30th of a second, making a cloud of metal that stops the missile before it can hit you. There's no need to keep shooting for a full minute and it would be useless to do so.