Looking for a powerfull flooder. M43, TN36UT, MM15MB, MX30L4XC

iso400

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

I already have a Thrunite TN32, TN12, Nitecore SRT7 and a CR6 and are now looking for a powerful flooder.

I'm considering the M43, TN36UT, MM15MB and MX30L4XC.

I guess all of them becomes hot, but It seems like the M43 is especially problematic while it being the smallest, so I'm sort of counting it out.

Is it like a really big practical difference between 7300, 6800 and 4800 lumens? Is lumens a linear scale?

I guess the MM15MB and TN36UT wins over the others in term of efficiency? 2 or 3 xph70 LEDs vs 12 XP-G2 S2 / Nichia 219B LEDs? Having 12 LEDs on one flashlight is really cool though ;)

In terms of looks and UI I must say that the MM15MB and MX30L4XC wins. But yeah, so many choices ough..

RCLumens

Enlightened
Hi Iso400 - You should consider the Olight SR96 - I own one and It's a GREAT light! Does quite well and regulates to compensate for heat. It's a larger
light so I wouldn't be surprised if it handles the heat better. I don;t use it as often as I'd like so I'm contemplating selling it if interested. Feel free to PM me, or ask any specific questions here.

Cheers,
RC

drummer132132

Enlightened
Personally I think the UI of the MX30L4XC gives you the most flexibility/control than the other lights. I own both the TN36VN and the MM15vn though not stock they have the exact ui of the stock lights and I'd take the UI of the MX30L4XC over the others in a heartbeat.

Forgot to mention with the MX30L4XC there is the kit version for a diffused beam.

markr6

Flashaholic
Forgot to mention with the MX30L4XC there is the kit version for a diffused beam.

I bought the kit version. I am curious to see the diffuser, and quite surprised they even offer one given the already floody nature of this light.

• Center lux: 10,200 lux
  • Center spot angle: 24°
  • Spill light angle: 77°
  • Beam distance: 220 yards / 202 meters

I can't imagine needing to diffuse this one!! But I'll find out soon.

drummer132132

Enlightened
I bought the kit version. I am curious to see the diffuser, and quite surprised they even offer one given the already floody nature of this light.

• Center lux: 10,200 lux
  • Center spot angle: 24°
  • Spill light angle: 77°
  • Beam distance: 220 yards / 202 meters

I can't imagine needing to diffuse this one!! But I'll find out soon.

Yeah it will be interesting how the diffuser will work but I'm guessing with most of there M series being that they offer a kit version, whether it makes sense or not, they'll keep in line with offering the diffuser regardless.

Btw, I completely agree with you that eagletac doesn't try to keep up in the lumen race with other companies. I think they find a great balance of output to heat ratio. Heck the timed step down is perfect for my MX25L3C Nichia when on turbo. I took my Flir one and watched the temp climb initially when on turbo and when it stepped down I could see the temp level out and even decline a degree or two. Imo that's really good. Even better when fan cooled too.

iso400

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. The SR96 looks nice, but its looks a bit too big to take out for regular nightwalks.

And I would have bought the TM16 in a instant if I didn't already have the TN32. Yeah I know the TM16 is better allrounder, but they are similar in size and Im looking for something smaller, and I already have 3 other flashlight with XM-L2 LEDs. But the TM16 looks really great and its tempting to buy it anyway just for the price but I already have too many lights and I also want the EC4s. :)

So the mature side of me wants the MX30L4XC with Nichia for the best "quality" light, but the rebel side want to go all lumens out and buy the TN36 UT.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for the suggestions. The SR96 looks nice, but its looks a bit too big to take out for regular nightwalks.

And I would have bought the TM16 in a instant if I didn't already have the TN32. Yeah I know the TM16 is better allrounder, but they are similar in size and Im looking for something smaller, and I already have 3 other flashlight with XM-L2 LEDs. But the TM16 looks really great and its tempting to buy it anyway just for the price but I already have too many lights and I also want the EC4s. :)

So the mature side of me wants the MX30L4XC with Nichia for the best "quality" light, but the rebel side want to go all lumens out and buy the TN36 UT.

TM16 would be way too throwy if you're looking for a flooder. TN36UT, craziness!! I've heard that throws light on your feet when holding it at your waist!

ven

Flashaholic
Imo the mm15vn dome on still holds its own with 2x mtg2 goodness,great 5000k of flood.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast

Emphasis added. The TN36 UT should do the trick for flood powerhouse in a not biggest size. I am waiting to see what Vinh can do in the boost department. My guess is that he will be able to boost it to 11,000 lumens. I will have to wait and find out.

Smallest powerhouse flooder: Noctigon M43 XP-L. I am absolutely thrilled with mine, modified by Vinh for enhanced heat management.

iso400

Newly Enlightened
I ended up buying a TM16 which I got yesterday. Had it out for a night hike together with my TN32.

Let me just say that I'm really impressed with the TM16! Love the form factor,ergonomics and the UI. I'm using the TM16 with NCR18650GAs and the TN32 with regular 3400mAhs which was not fully charged so perhaps not a totally fair comparison but the TM16 does nearly as good (at least 90-95%) throw job as the TN32 and has lots of flood in addition so it's much better for all-around use, the drawback is the beam artifacts but it doesn't bother me too much. It is also more compact than the TN32.

Latest posts