Fishermen Roll Call ! ! !

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any cpf'ers fish?? I fish as much as I can here in North Texas. Mostly for Hybrid Striped Bass, Crappie and White Bass.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I grew up on the waterfront in Md. and still fish everytime I go to my folks. Stripers, bluefish, perch, pickerel. Not seriously into the gear though just use what works, mostly older rods and reels and stuff. Last time we were down there over the summer I was fishing with one of my brother-in-laws and my sister and my wife and I must have caught 40 perch, everybody else caught zilch. They were getting pretty peeved at me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I just kept reelin' 'em in and laughing! I just told em "Hey I've been fishing here longer than any of you and the fish and I worked out a deal a long time ago!"

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Negeltu

Enlightened
I go fishing as much as I can. I grew up in Virginia catching largemouth, perch, crappie, bluegill, chain pickerel...walleye..etc.. I moved to Oregon a few years ago and find that fishing for warm water fish like bass and other sunfish...is very difficult in my area. There are very few places in my area that have them... I fish for rainbow trout sometime now...but they are too boney for me to eat... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I sort of got lucky in that there is a park 5 mins down the road from me that has a little pocket off of the clackamas river...it has largemouth, bluegill and bullhead cats... They are not in the river just in that side pocket. A guy used to have a gravel pit there and he stocked his ponds with sunfish, but the flood happened in the mid 90's and washed them out into those side pockets. There is a nother little pond left that still has crappie in it, but it is very difficult to fish due to the debris in the water. I saw the biggest largemouth I'd ever seen in those sidepockets... Bigger than the 10lber I caught back in VA. This one was much bigger than that. He had to be a record here in Oregon, but he wouldn't take anything that I had. Maybe that's why he's so big. Avoided getting caught all these years.

Wylie

Enlightened
Ah yep even at night! I don't get out as often as I did at one time but I am a very avid angler. Shark, sturgeon, crappie, gills, suns, bass fresh and salt, catfish, trout are some of the gilled persuasions I have pursued in the past and more are on the hit list. I may have gone off the deep end (not!) or I may be headed the right direction with the fishing and my interest in full timing it. Monday I should be sending a fishing rod I built to Tech TV and they might just show it on television.
Don't forget to take a kid fishing every once in while and especially if you get the fish patterned, your likely to have more fun then them just watching.
Not to long ago I took a four-year-old fishing and the trout fought this girl like she was on to big game. Trout eggs on a treble hook with a number 5 split shot in a spring during the span and we were jack slinging them straight into the cooler. Not much sport but great fun watching her. The next day her mother, her and myself got 18 nice rainbows in a half an hour the same way. Okay I'll admit to having a little fun myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
tkl -

Are you eating the hybrides? If so, how do you prepare them? I've been baking them. I've got a few fancy recipes which are basically the way restaurants serve trout. My favorite isn't fancy and it's cheap. A squirt of lemon or lime and spread a little relish on. Then I pore a mixture of Jiffy Corn Mix, milk, egg, onions and bell peppers on top. I broil for 1 minute then bake at 375. Time, of course depends on the size of the filets. It comes out nicely breaded.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
we used to go fishing in fla in my uncles boat we went for dolphin the fish not mammel.and when we was closer to shore or nears mangroves went for red snapper.but sometimes we caught puffer fish on accident they was a odd fish

Wylie

Enlightened
Check this out ice breaker!
Do a backwards dieing fillet, that means start at the back bone and leave the belly connected. I never have to deal with the gut when I fillet fish this way. All you need is salt and pepper for this one. Take one of the racks you see in the camping areas of department stores that hold the fish from both sides. Lay your fish in fillets open and skin down for the first application of heat, set them on a BBQ that threatens to bring the fire trucks because of the smoke rising from it, the morte smoke the better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gifThe smoke is from your choice of wooks soaked about an hour to half an hour and towel dried then tossed onto the coals, something like at every insection of the coals corners once gray and burning good. Apple and alder would be of preference for fish like salmon or trout but hickory and mequite are also very nice. Don't dry them out too much on the BBQ and this would depend upon how hot the BBQ is so just feel the fish with your finger and when it feels right let it cool for a couple mintutes and enjoy.

The hybreads can be excellent but just like any fish that swims it's eating habits and water quality determine the quality of the fish. Man I got to tell you I have had so hybreads that were salmon color on the inside and once smoked on the BBQ kicked all over any smoked salmon I have ever had.
Give the BBQ a try and let me know what you think. I'll bet you get hooked just like I am.
Oops you were talking about hybrid bass not the Lightening or Golden trout. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Try a tempura batter fry with a little of your favorite seasonings in the batter. Tempura Rocks!

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love to fish. Several times each Fall/Winter we get a bunch of guys together and charter a boat for a weekend of deep sea fishing (usually in the Dry Tortugas area). No sight of land for two days, no tourists /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, and lots of fresh ocean air. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Even if fishing is poor (it usually isn't) I still have a great time every time we go. Of course, I really enjoy it more when we make a haul like this... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

f9eacf1c.jpg

f9eacf27.jpg

Peter

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been known to fish once in awhile, I moved to Tenn for the fishing I have prepared hybrid striped bass by filleting them using butter and lemon juice as a baste and broiling them for about 7 minutes, rainbow trout same method. I am almost exclusively a catch and release.

Avix

Newly Enlightened
my wife taught me how to fish, I taught her how to shoot. it worked out. during the summer we keep the gear in the car, pick her up after work and head for the lake.

ygbsm

Enlightened
Grew up flyfishing a long time ago on Silver Creek near Hailey Idaho. It is a spring fed creek where the trout (rainbows and browns) have had years of expeience avoiding crazy two-legged creatures trying to "think like fish." Sometimes, I was sure I could hear those fish laugh.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I fish as much as time permits. Bass, perch, sunfish, crappie, bullhead, and anything else that will bite is fair game. I think I'm going to have to try some night fishing this year too.

-Mike

Negeltu

Enlightened
I always gut my fish first...then fillet. I can't resist checking out the organs for flukes and the intestines for big fish tapeworms. I fillet all my fish so I can put the fillets on a light box and check the flesh out for embedded flukes. Those little suckers curl up inside there and fester. If there are only a few...I'll cut them out and freeze the flesh in solid block of ice at very very low temps. I've had bass and bluegill last 2 years in solid blocks of ice...tastes just like the first day to me. I once found a 3 foot tapeworm in a largemouth. Yucka! Alot of fish carry parasites like that. You can protect yourself by freezing around 0deg. farenheit...and making sure you cook your fish very well.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
Negeltu said:
I always gut my fish first...then fillet. I can't resist checking out the organs for flukes and the intestines for big fish tapeworms. I fillet all my fish so I can put the fillets on a light box and check the flesh out for embedded flukes. Those little suckers curl up inside there and fester. If there are only a few...I'll cut them out and freeze the flesh in solid block of ice at very very low temps. I've had bass and bluegill last 2 years in solid blocks of ice...tastes just like the first day to me. I once found a 3 foot tapeworm in a largemouth. Yucka! Alot of fish carry parasites like that. You can protect yourself by freezing around 0deg. farenheit...and making sure you cook your fish very well.

[/ QUOTE ]im paranoid to eat fesh water fish!i live downstream of atl thru the chatahoche river. they say its poloted are lake down here .im like 50 miles from atl

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
tkl -

Are you eating the hybrides? If so, how do you prepare them?

[/ QUOTE ] I just filet and fry them. I usually roll them in a mix of one bag seasoned Lousiana fish fry and one bag plain. Just about anything else you can think of to roll them in will work.

A trick a guide taught me was to cut one of their gills so they'll bleed out. When you filet them there will be NO red stripe down the middle of the meat. The fillet will be very white. Tast alot better that way.

Negeltu

Enlightened
Alot of mercury in quite a few different species of Marine fish raggie. Parasites occur more frequently in ocean fish than freshwater fish too. There are many rivers and lakes in the US that are contaminated with mercury pcb/dioxins...etc... It is a tragedy that our waters have gotten this bad. There are still good clean places to fish though. My cousin is a marine biologist and she says that it's basically much more safe to eat freshwater fish than ocean fish nowadays.

Don't worry raggie...Just check the regs for your area and make sure where you fish there are no advisories for the water. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Negeltu said:

[/ QUOTE ] I don't know if I can eat any fish after reading this!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Negeltu

Enlightened
Yeah cutting the gills will help insure that the blood doesn't make the flesh taste badly. Works great with trout too. Doesn't work on Largemouth though. They just clot up.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif