CooYoo Quantum Titanium, few pics and test

Budda

Enlightened
The flashlights are closed in a paper box. The technical info of the lights are written on the box, even the version of the lights is indicated. The lights I got are both titanium, one sandblasted the other flamed.

Inside each box there's the light, a metal chain link, a splitring, spare orings and the manual

These quantums look beautiful and tiny. On the body there is written the Logo and the model, in a discrete way.

The flamed version is my favourite one, but keep in mind that each flamed piece is different from another: there are no 2 identical flamed quantum.

Have I told you that the quantum are very small? They are 41mm long and the maximum diameter is 12.8 mm. The titanium makes them very light: according to CooYoo they are 8.9 grams heavy, I measured 9 grams, 14 with the battery.
Here are some pics with the noble cousin Veleno Design Quantum D2 and Armytek Partner A1 HiCRI limited edition

The light has 2 modes: 8 lumen (6h) and 130 lumen (30 minutes) with 910 Cd.
The two lights are very well made, I can't see any machining flaw (both outside and inside). The threads work smoothly.
Flamed and sandblasted finishing looks very good, there are just some small spots of difference in the flamed version. They are very small and I can't capture them with my camera.

The quantums are divided in 3 parts, tailcap (with oring), body (with oring) and head.
[/url]
When you receive the light you have to untwist the tailcap and remove the little plastic spacer that allows lockout of the flashlight. The threads are not anodized, so the led will light even if the tailcap is not fully tightened.

Inside the head there's also the driver.

Inside the body there is the circuit that allows charging of the included10180 li-ion battery.
To charge the battery you need to unscrew the head and inser the cable inside the micro usb socket. On the + pole size of the body there is a led for the charging status. The led is bright and is red when charging, green when charged.

The two 10180 I got with the lights were both at 4.1 volt. When I charged the batteries I tried to restart the charge by removing and reinserting the cable in to the socket, and I got green led light to tell that the cells were full.

The little part sticking out from the body is the + pole that exit after the circuit.
When the head of the light isn't completely screwed on, it will be in contact with a thin plate on the head. This will give you the 6 lumen low level.
When you fully thighten the head, it will press down the plate, giving you the 130 lumen level.

Unlike any twisty flashlight I had, this one has a strong tactile and auditory feedback: you can feel and hear a clear "clack" when you switch between the modes.

The quantums have an optic that produces a clean and regular beam pattern, good for short distances. Keep in mind that this is a tiny EDC flashlight.

The titanium lights can tailstand even with some paracord or other kinds of cord inserted. They also have 3 attaching points.

With my luxmeter I measured 380 Cd (maybe a bit more, since my luxmeter does not have peak function).

Here is the runtime test, done at room temperature. I stopped and resumed the test 4 times, both to let the light cool down (this in the first part of the test) and to measure the voltage of the cell (this in the second part).
Starting with 4.2 volt at the beginning, the battery measured 3.75 v at 15', 3.16v at 22'30" and 3.0v at 24'00".

I interrupted the test at the 24th minute when light was still running but the output was much lower than the initial one.
The regulation is good: after the first half you still have 70% of the initial output.
Towards the end, the lights decreases more quickly.

I did another test with the low level, it looks good.

The test was interrupted due to lack of time.
At 2 hours the battery measured 3.68v. After 2.5 hours the ligth was still running, with about 60% of the initial output, so I expect the 6 hours runtime is not too far from reality.

I tested with an original IMAX B6 my 2 10180 of my cooyoo at 0.2A discharge from 4.2 to 3.0 Volt. I had 65 mA for each.

Thanks for reading.
The lights have been provided by Gearbest

Last edited:

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
Great review on this budget light. Have seen it for sale at Gearbest and was wondering if it is worth getting for the price. Might have to grab one myself now. Cheers bro.

akhyar

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. Any real world beamshots you can share?
One question. Is the text labels on the body engraved or silkscreen?

Budda

Enlightened
Maybe tonight for the beamshot.
I'm sorry but I don't know what silkscreen looks like on a flashlight. This for sure is not engraved, the titanium hasn't been "eaten" by laser or other stuff.

akhyar

Enlightened
Maybe tonight for the beamshot.
I'm sorry but I don't know what silkscreen looks like on a flashlight. This for sure is not engraved, the titanium hasn't been "eaten" by laser or other stuff.

Thanks for your reply. I just used the word "silkscreen" as I don't know the correct term for this process on metal body, as normally "silkscreen" is used for logo printing on t-shirt.
Since the texts are not engraved, might be easier to rub off the texts frm the body for those prefering sleeker or stealthier looks.

Budda

Enlightened
Yes, looks like somthing added on top of the metal (i can feel the bumps with my fingernails). It might be possible to remove it, but I think that this "engraving" is both small and very low profile.

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info and pics,excellent and appreciated !! I cant wait for my two,one the ti brushed and the stainless.

These really do look a better build than the DQG spy which i find their QC hit/miss and not the best threads.

Cant wait to have them on my keys, imo these really look like a must buy and can see them doing very well. In fact they must be,as my ti order has been put back waiting for more stock!!! The ss version i expect over the next week.........

I will add different flavours in time if i am happy with my initial lights,copper and blued ti look fav for my next 2.

wuyeah

Enlightened
Stumble on this thread suggested by another member. How long do you have it for? It would be great if we can have a review after a month of use. I love the look and if it is great, I looking to add one in my current collection :D

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you find the head somewhat loose when turned off (the o-ring is very thin)? I am getting a thicker o-ring for more traction when the head is dialed off. These are great lights for the price. Well thought out.

Oh, and watch out for dust when you charge the light since the threads are exposed; wipe the surface or better yet, place on a lint-free cloth or a rubber pad or something like it.

Money well spent.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Nice review. I thought I'd post a few of my own observations.

I ordered one of each metal, just received my stainless model and have been playing with it. First impressions are positive. I'll compare it to my Maratac AAA light since I EDC that light and am considering putting this on my keychain to replace the DQG Fairy brass 10180 light that I also EDC. I also EDC an Oveready Peak Eiger 10250 but it's more similar to the Fairy since they're both mules and more spill than throw.

Beam profile is actually almost identical to my Maratac Rev. 3 AAA light (I have both copper and stainless) which is interesting as it looks like the CooYoo has a TIR and the Maratac has a smooth reflector. It has decent throw for such a small light and is definitely more a thrower than floody type of light. I'm shining it right now on the far wall of our basement which is 40 feet away and it lights up the whole wall no problem. They're also very close in terms of brightness on high mode. The difference is the Maratac has a cool white beam with a noticeable greenish tinge; the CooYoo is more neutral white and definitely not warm. Presumably this is due to different emitters.

There are two modes, a lower and a high mode; the interesting thing is that twisting it to high you feel a noticeable detente which I assume is deliberate. Reminds me of the detentes you see on some knives. Threads feel slightly gritty but not too bad, somewhat better I'd say than my typical titanium light. I'll try putting some Krytox on the O-ring and threads.

Overall I like it. As I'm more of a throw than spill type of guy I'm going to replace the DQG Fairy on my keychain although this light is about twice as long and a lot heavier. It's still a very small light though so that's not a problem. If they did a QTC version it would be awesome. A glow ring in the head would be a nice addition too. But I'm fine with it the way it is.

I just tried plugging in the micro USB port. It's snug and not loose like some. I'd say we have a little winner here that offers good value for the price, especially the less expensive non-titanium versions.

I'd be interested in other's impressions too as they receive their lights.

A little update, after playing with it for a while I notice the threads have gotten noticeably smoother. I also charged up the battery using the micro USB port.

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overall I like it. As I'm more of a throw than spill type of guy I'm going to replace the DQG Fairy on my keychain although this light is about twice as long and a lot heavier. It's still a very small light though so that's not a problem.

Out of curiosity, why are you replacing the DQG Fairy? Just to give the new shiny thing some pocket time (hey, I do that all the time), or is there some advantage or features you like that offset the greater size? I'm intensely interested in the answer, because a DQG Fairy has been living in my pocket and I love it, it's tiny and does what it's supposed to do, but I"m always looking for a newer shinier thing :)

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good, RGRAY!
Thanks, guys.
But I think I might have a problem.
When I opened the top, the flat doughnut cover piece feel off so I thought I was suppose to remove them like the bottom pieece and threw them away.
I contacted Kathy from Gearbest and I'm waiting for a response.
I asked her if they're needed and can I buy some.
I'll let you know what she says.
The lights wok fine, no problems.

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Nice. Any pics of one in palm of hand or with keys/keyring for size reference? Thinking of getting one for keyring duty :)

Last edited:

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gearbest got back to me.

"Hi Rick,

This small thin doughnut piece is mainly for protecting, heat protection, short circuit protection...Without it, the light can work normally don't have much influence.

We checked with supplier, sorry to say, there isn't the single part available to sell. Hope you kind understand dear.

Without the small thin piece, still hope you like your time with the CooYoo : )

Have a nice day dear!

Best Regards
Kathy
GearBest"

WOW! :sigh: