Mini Flashlight

wuyeah

Enlightened
Hello guys, I am wondering if anyone have tried this CooYoo Flashlight? They claim the brightness is 130 lumen and it is a USB charged light. The light comes in SS, 3 Ti version, 2 copper version. The price is not very cheap for Ti version, so I kind of hold my trigger for it. Design sure is appealing to eyes. I like the blue Ti a lot.

If Cooyoo light no one has a clue about it, is there anything similar on the market to select that quality is good? Thanks.

1439244635356-P-2931503.jpg

1439234631782-P-2931434.jpg

201508131129356755.jpg

SKU274216-4).jpg

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
There a re a few threads recently started regarding these. Members are just beginning to receive lights they have ordered.
i have a copper on order myself, to add to my tiny light collection. Peak Eiger 10180, Quantum DD, and DQG spy.

wuyeah

Enlightened
I really love this stealth advertising.

I have no connection with these guys. I am asking if anyone has experience with them.
If it is a good light, what is the harm allow members to know?

Last edited:

wuyeah

Enlightened
There a re a few threads recently started regarding these. Members are just beginning to receive lights they have ordered.
i have a copper on order myself, to add to my tiny light collection. Peak Eiger 10180, Quantum DD, and DQG spy.

Is the copper one you order from the same brand? or similar USB charged feature?

wuyeah

Enlightened
Ok, a bit surprised, the review is very very positive. Don't know why, I kinda feel it might be a looking good but not so great light. I was trying to tell myself not to buy the Ti for the price, now I am....

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Nice review. I thought I'd post a few of my own observations.

I ordered one of each metal, just received my stainless model and have been playing with it. First impressions are positive. I'll compare it to my Maratac AAA light since I EDC that one and am considering putting this on my keychain to replace the DQG Fairy brass 10180 light that I also EDC. I also EDC an Oveready Peak Eiger 10250 but it's more similar to the Fairy since they're both mules and more spill than throw.

Beam profile is almost identical to my Maratac Rev. 3 AAA lights (copper & stainless), which is interesting as the CooYoo has a TIR and the Maratac has a smooth reflector. It has decent throw for such a small light. It's definitely more a thrower than floody type of light. I'm shining it right now on the far wall of our basement which is 40 feet away and it lights up the whole wall no problem. They're also very close in terms of brightness on high mode. The difference is the Maratac has a cool white beam with a noticeable greenish tinge; the CooYoo is more neutral white and definitely not warm.

There are two modes, a lower and a high mode; the interesting thing is that twisting it to high you feel a noticeable detente which I assume is deliberate. Threads feel slightly gritty but not bad, somewhat better I'd say than my typical titanium light. I'll try putting some Krytox on the O ring and threads.

Overall I like it. As I'm more of a throw than spill type of guy I'm going to replace the Fairy although this light is about twice as long and a lot heavier. It's still a very small light though so that's not a problem. If they did a QTC version it would be awesome.

I just tried plugging in the micro USB port. It's snug and not loose like some. I'd say we have a little winner here that offers good value for the price.

I'd be interested in other's impressions as they receive their lights.

Last edited:

wuyeah

Enlightened
Nice review. I thought I'd post a few of my own observations.

I ordered one of each metal, just received my stainless model and have been playing with it. First impressions are positive. I'll compare it to my Maratac AAA light since I EDC that one and am considering putting this on my keychain to replace the DQG Fairy brass 10180 light that I also EDC. I also EDC an Oveready Peak Eiger 10250 but it's more similar to the Fairy since they're both mules and more spill than throw.

Beam profile is almost identical to my Maratac Rev. 3 AAA lights (copper & stainless), which is interesting as the CooYoo has a TIR and the Maratac has a smooth reflector. It has decent throw for such a small light. It's definitely more a thrower than floody type of light. I'm shining it right now on the far wall of our basement which is 40 feet away and it lights up the whole wall no problem. They're also very close in terms of brightness on high mode. The difference is the Maratac has a cool white beam with a noticeable greenish tinge; the CooYoo is more neutral white and definitely not warm.

There are two modes, a lower and a high mode; the interesting thing is that twisting it to high you feel a noticeable detente which I assume is deliberate. Threads feel slightly gritty but not bad, somewhat better I'd say than my typical titanium light. I'll try putting some Krytox on the O ring and threads.

Overall I like it. As I'm more of a throw than spill type of guy I'm going to replace the Fairy although this light is about twice as long and a lot heavier. It's still a very small light though so that's not a problem.
So far, the only thing I don't like about this light the most is the CooYoo name...LOL
I also noticed, Ti, Copper, SS version has different design. Oh man, they know how to make money from us...

Last edited:

wuyeah

Enlightened
OM...I can't resist. I just bought the Blue Ti version. Now I think copper can be good after when it is old and have some patina. It will have another character...

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Thanks mag. I got a Cu on the way too. Too cheap to resist and seems like it has some unique features.

You're welcome.

I think you're gonna like it. I think it's a pretty capable little guy and easily fits on a keychain. When my copper or blue titanium one arrives I might switch out the SS model for one of those.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
OM...I can't resist. I just bought the Blue Ti version. Now I think copper can be good after when it is old and have some patina. It will have another character...

The blue titanium is beautiful. I might use that one despite my predilection for copper lights.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
So far, the only thing I don't like about this light the most is the CooYoo name...LOL
I also noticed, Ti, Copper, SS version has different design. Oh man, they know how to make money from us...

I'm guessing that "ku yu" means something in Mandarin, which they decided to spell CooYoo for the international market. Any Mandarin speakers here?

wuyeah

Enlightened
I'm guessing that "ku yu" means something in Mandarin, which they decided to spell CooYoo for the international market. Any Mandarin speakers here?
I am. Still don't get it....prob is designer's nick name....

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... I thought they named it after some million year old prehistoric fish that was dug up in the Australian outback. :p

wuyeah

Enlightened
Chinese Translate for the name CooYoo by sound as "Ku-you", means Cool Pal or Cool Friend.

I really wish this light is worth the money cuz I have just purchased two Copper version to fit them on my Filson bags.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Chinese Translate for the name CooYoo by sound as "Ku-you", means Cool Pal or Cool Friend.

I really wish this light is worth the money cuz I have just purchased two Copper version to fit them on my Filson bags.

So far I'm really pleased with it as a keychain replacement for my DQG Fairy. I also have the DQG Spy which is titanium and the DQG Hobi, but as those are also mules I like the CooYoo better. If it didn't have the charging feature the Fairy would have an advantage there. But I think it's pretty cetain they looked at the DQG lights and decided to put one on it, with a slightly different arrangement so they wouldn't get into any legal hassles. Add in the different metal versions, copper, brass, stainless, and the titanium and blue titanium ones for a premium price model, and I think it's clear they're aggressively going after a share of the same market. If they did a Damascus, mokume gane, or Stellite version I'd be in heaven. :)

Last edited: