Nitecore EC11 vs Sunwayman M11R Tan

wuyeah

Enlightened
Hello guys,

Sorry, I am looking for another small light for purchase and narrow down to these two. I browse for these two comparison but find no luck. For general light purposes, which is a better light for long period of time?

M11R is been out for longer period of time. It is still 230-265 lumen.
EC11 is has a different UI, it is also advertised as 900 lumen O_O!!

The EC11 seems slightly fatter. I am not sure if Nitecore's 900 claim is real or exaggeration. Sometimes super bright mode doesn't last, then it will be far from practical.

Does anyone own both lights would provide some valuable feedback on your preferences?

Thanks!

akhyar

Enlightened
I do own an M11R in tan since they were launched back in 2012 but I don't own an EC11 as I do find it a bit fat for an EDC that can easily slips into my jeans pocket. If I'm not mistaken, the 900 lumens on the EC11 is when fed with 18350 battery. With 16340 battery, the max lumens drop to half.
One thing I don't like about the M11R is the magnetic UI to change the mode. It can be operated with a single hand, but to access the strobe function, you will definitely need to use 2 hands.
By the way, I've placed an order for Olight S1 Baton that can churn out 500 lumens from 16340 battery but is shorther than the M11R, which I'm planning to use as my EDC light replacing the M11R.
You might want to check the S1 if it fits your requirement.

wuyeah

Enlightened
I do own an M11R in tan since they were launched back in 2012 but I don't own an EC11 as I do find it a bit fat for an EDC that can easily slips into my jeans pocket. If I'm not mistaken, the 900 lumens on the EC11 is when fed with 18350 battery. With 16340 battery, the max lumens drop to half.
One thing I don't like about the M11R is the magnetic UI to change the mode. It can be operated with a single hand, but to access the strobe function, you will definitely need to use 2 hands.
By the way, I've placed an order for Olight S1 Baton that can churn out 500 lumens from 16340 battery but is shorther than the M11R, which I'm planning to use as my EDC light replacing the M11R.
You might want to check the S1 if it fits your requirement.
So besides M11R not skinny, do you have any complain today? It is not bright enough 3 years after, you were wishing you didn't picked the Tan color, not throw enough, color tint, you should of gone Ti....etc.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EC11's output is near or slightly above 900 lumens. A few forum members here have tested it as well as compared it with other lights in the 900-1000 lumen range and it's right up there with them. It has excellent brightness and a good UI. You may also want to look at the MT10c as well it's basically the same light but has a forward clicky and up/down UI buttons. I have one and love it. Using 18350 cells you'll get the 900 or so lumens but using rcr123 batteries it's probably 450-550 lumen range.

akhyar

Enlightened
So besides M11R not skinny, do you have any complain today? It is not bright enough 3 years after, you were wishing you didn't picked the Tan color, not throw enough, color tint, you should of gone Ti....etc.

Major complain is on the magnetic UI, which need to get used too. The brightness, throw, are not so critical even 3 years later.
I do love the tan colour though, as I had the chance to compare all 3 colours before I made the purchase.
The updated titanium version was only launched in 2013/14, so if I have the chance, I would love the M11R Ti Dream, but that light cost a fortune.

Dubois

Enlightened
I'm confused that a 18350 cell gives twice the output of a RCR123. Surely the only difference will be in runtime, unless the 18350 is an IMR (and if the RCR123 is also an IMR, again only runtime will be affected).

What am I missing?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight S1?

I have a tan M11R XM-L U2, as well as a V11R XM-L U2 and V11R XM-L2 U2. I also had a tan V10R XM-L, which stopped working on primaries and went back in exchange for the newer V11R at the time (5/13.)

The disappointment (somewhat minor) in my M11R was/is in thinking before I bought it, that I'd get double the output using a li-ion 16340 ICR/IMR cell inside. I don't. I get more, but I don't get that much more and it's certainly not a screamer, like the V10R/V11R are/were.

This being said, SelfBuilt has measured the M11R w/li-ion it at a bit more than the 190LM/220LM that SWM claims, so it's not all bad, but the M11R running on a li-ion is no V11R running on li-ion, so just be aware.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...3A-1xAA-14500)-Review-RUNTIMES-VIDEO-BEAMSHOT

M11R-FL1-Summary2-1.gif

I loved my V10R in tan and I hate tan crap these days--guns, scopes, knives et al., but the metallic-y tan finish is awesome, which kind of bummed me out when I found out that my new, but free, V11R only came in black. I ended up getting the M11R just for the finish.

True story.

Chris

Latest posts