Battery question (dumb) and request for a suggestion

REV666

Newly Enlightened
OK guys, I'm not a flashlight guy per se. I've had 3 in my adult life, the P12, PD35 and a AAA Maratac (in copper, of course)

Anyway, the CR123 batteries that came with the PD35 finally died and I tossed in my 18650 I was using in the POS Nitecore and to me, the light seems dimmer now. Should I stick with CR123's, find me a rechargeable version perhaps, or is this all in my head and I should shut up? The 18650s are 2400 and 2500mah and the CRs were Energizer Lithiums for reference.

Second thing, I liked the finger ring on the P12 but even tho the PD35 is almost the same thing, it wont fit on there. Is there another flashlight close to 1k lumen (or better) that can be easily carried I should look into, (even better if under $100)

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Rev.
Good lights ☺

The two CR123 add up to 6 volts versus 4.2 volts for the single cell
18650.( CR123=3 Volt each)
Less voltage but better run times, not great difference as them 18650 are lower capacity to what is available now.
You'll lose a little brightness on the 18650, but being rechargeable you can use light more without worrying about buying primaries soon, they are good for back up or when it gets to be below minute 25 Celsius.
Or, if you just want the higher output.
The CR123 max out at 1500 mah, the single cell you have is slightly better fit long run times but slightly less high output.
It's not being driven as hard on a single cell.

REV666

Newly Enlightened
Hi Rev.
Good lights ☺

The two CR123 add up to 6 volts versus 4.2 volts for the single cell
18650.( CR123=3 Volt each)
Less voltage but better run times, not great difference as them 18650 are lower capacity to what is available now.
You'll lose a little brightness on the 18650, but being rechargeable you can use light more without worrying about buying primaries soon, they are good for back up or when it gets to be below minute 25 Celsius.
Or, if you just want the higher output.
The CR123 max out at 1500 mah, the single cell you have is slightly better fit long run times but slightly less high output.
It's not being driven as hard on a single cell.

so would the 18650 also reduce heat in the head on full tilt?

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the round about way of not being pushed as hard, yes.
It'll get hot, just will take a little longer then it would being driven at 6v.

uofaengr

Enlightened
POS Nitecore? I'm guessing you're not a fan lol.

Spend about $9-$10 and get you a new NCR18650GA 3500mAh. The runtimes alone will be worth it. Personally I'd rather have 950 guilt free lumens than 1050 rapidly disposable lumens.

ven

Flashaholic
Daft Q have you checked the V or charged the 18650 cell,if its fresh from the box(so to speak) they come at 3.7v(give/take) which is around 40% charge. This will not sustain higher modes therefore will look dim(only a thought here....thats all:)).

Difference between say 900lm or 1000lm is really difficult to tell without a light meter, for me 18650 all day every day over 123 cells. The savings alone should be very noticeable . if the light is used regular...........

As above,the 3500mah cells are great value and offer great run times. Panasonic 3400 are cheap as chips these days,another option for fuel!

:)

1DaveN

Enlightened
When you say the CR123s "finally died," how long did they last? I'm still running my PD35 on the original CR123s after about eight months - I don't use it enough to care about the economics of rechargeables versus primaries. That's especially true in the house, where "economy" mode is rated for 150 hours. Even low is 38 hours, and to me that's plenty of light for indoors, walking down a trail, etc.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy wow man!
Eight months on the original primaries, around here??

Congrats.☺
I recharge a 18650 close to every day, not because I need too, just cause.
So from one excessive to another, grats.
Still, one poke, dude,... Your Vette is running on fumes.
A gallon here an there won't weigh it down much honestly.

ven

Flashaholic
Holy wow man!

Congrats.☺
I recharge a 18650 close to every day, not because I need too, just cause.
So from one excessive to another, grats.
Still, one poke, dude,... Your Vette is running on fumes.
A gallon here an there won't weigh it down much honestly.

Holy cow,you recharge one almost every day..........i charge about 8-12 a day:nana: not all flashlight cells though,maybe 2 of them unless i take out the beasts!!! :laughing: I can have 3 or 4 chargers rocking with my house lights dimming and flickering :laughing:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol busted, I was thinking after, that you guys with the big multi cell'd lights would be chiming in.

Well, somedays I charge more then one cell.
dce22932616c133b0f4f1d7d49db0b35.jpg

Just not all light based either. ☺

Last edited:

1DaveN

Enlightened
Holy wow man!

I've used it mostly in the house, and while I don't always like to use them, I do have conventional electric lights as well :)

In a sure sign of insanity (that might not be recognized as such on CPF), the lamp next to my bed broke a couple of weeks ago. Rather than go all the way downstairs for pliers, I've been using a CL25R in its place. That one continues to impress me with how long it lasts on the low mAh included battery, which I alternate with a 3400.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
All hope is restored to the light guild now 1DaveN!
Kudos, CL25R!
I was just ribbing you friend about primaries.