Trim McLux PR on Pila 150S

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to practice threading at 20 tpi. I cut a piece of aluminum from a rod and went to it. I got it right on the first try. The McLux PR "on a diet" went right on it perfectly. The piece of aluminum was too short to do much with, but it was just long enough to accomodate a Pila 150S using a simple twist on/off design. It came out OK. It's overall length is actually shorter than the L4 body and clickie without the head.

f9ec32fc.jpg

f9ec32ff.jpg

I suppose I should have taken a shot next to an E1e body as well, but I didn't think about it.

The good thing about this is that the head had a BadBoy700 in it and with the Pila150S behind it, it runs in regulation.

I'll edit when I get time to do a runtime on it.

As far as a beam shot goes, it looks like any other PR with a 1W or 3W luxeon at ~700mA.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guilt free lumens plus a BB700 with either the lux 3 or the 5 watt sounds good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

I have a question, if you pass by here again. I've noticed that you've built a couple of lights to be driven by a Pila and a BadBoy.

I can see how a "K" Vf luxeon would run in this combo, but why is the Q3J working? Is the voltage drop really that much? The last time I DD'd a Q3J on a Pila, it self destructed after three hours. I just did it cause I figured that it didn't run in regulation with the DownBoy, so the BB must be the ticket.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Chop,

I don't know what the voltage drop is on a Pila. I do know that the BB's have their own internal drop although I don't think it's a lot. You might just be at the edge. I have now heard of a couple cases where people have taken the BB611 with Lux III and put them on E2e's! In both cases, after hearing this, I let them know that 2x123 would kill the LED and possibly the circuit? The thing is these heads were then put back on 1x123 and have continued to work to the best of my knowledge. There may be some current limiting activity within the BB itself butI am not the one to answer on this. I think the IC will shut down arounf 1.5 to 1.8 amps? As I vaguely recall from some bench testing using the bench supply, you typically needed to bring the Vin about .2 to .3 volts above Vf before you started seeing a run away current draw indicative of DD.

You might just be at the edge? I would prefer a L or M VF bin LED (III) I think for use with BB and Copia. Sorry i can't be more definitive on this. Perhaps othere have more experience or knowledge and they can pipe up.