SF Stratum thoughts?

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on my readings on the previous threads here, the 3-level output was not that popular, and most likely one of the reasons(?) why SF discontinued this model rather too quickly.

I edc a pair of P1R and E2D/E1D, which have enough lumens and 'tactically'-ready when needed. As a purely 'daily chores' light, I am looking this on an angle of a 2-level light - 5lmn and 50lmn, noting a good runtime @ 50lmn (15hrs). And will treat the 160lmn as just an added bonus when needed.

Nevertheless, what are your thoughts?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Owned one and sold it shortly after a few months. While it is a nice looking light, the beam is kind of weird. It has a tiny hot spot but with a huge spill. The hot spot is not very bright and can't really throw far. Not surprising, looking at how the reflector was designed. The beam is slightly yellowish, not really in the range of neutral white tint but close. I wonder what SF was thinking when they came up with that reflector design. Accessing the 3 outputs isn't that difficult. All I need do is tap through it quickly to get to where I want before locking the clicky switch down. Overall it isn't a bad or lousy light. Still gets the job done. But at the price that SF is charging, I expected more.

After more than a decade of being an SF fanboy and having bought about 70-ish SF products, I finally came to the conclusion that SF has been taking steps backwards in their R&D and quality assurance as of late, or maybe after Paul Kim's stepping down as the chief engineer. The Stratum was built shortly after Paul Kim had stepped down and it is one of the first to be released without the classic knurling synonymous with SF products.

I am assuming you are getting a resale piece since it is no longer in production? But my advice is to spend the money on other lights. I used to avoid Chinese made but recently decided to try one brand out after obstinately refusing to touch that brand for many years, Fenix.

I can't believe I actually bought a Fenix flashlight! I went for the PD35 TAC (Tactical Edition) and honestly it is way above the Stratum in terms of the UI, number of output selections, and also highest output. There is no doubt the Stratum has a thicker body and is definitely more robust, but then Fenix is no slouch either. They are well known for making reliable flashlights. I know that, but I avoided them purely because I always hated the name (sounds like some mythical creature), and because it is made in China. I finally got that mental block away and I can only tell you that I just love the Fenix PD35 TAC so much it is in my rear pocket everyday for when I needed the power. It outshines my P2X Fury as well.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your thoughts on this, it will help in my decision. My regard for the other brands are high, Olight and Acebeam has surpassed my expectations so far. OTOH, I have a few SFs, and they are my fav (P1R, E2D, E1D, G2X), and I look fwd to spice it up with the Stratum. :sssh: /and hoping it won't spoil the party? :whistle:

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like the same reflector as the KX4 head on the LED G2, 6P, C2 etc models that used a SSC P4 LED. Very shallow so super wide spill, but small and dim hotspot.
I still like my KX4-HA though.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like the same reflector as the KX4 head on the LED G2, 6P, C2 etc models that used a SSC P4 LED. Very shallow so super wide spill, but small and dim hotspot.
I still like my KX4-HA though.

Nevertheless, I hope it's a good floody light...

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I owned one for a while. Build quality was excellent. The spill was kind of mule-like, perfectly even in brightness throughout except for the small hot spot. The tail cap threads were buttery smooth.
However, I remember the 50 lumen setting setting running for 5 hours, not 15. You may want to verify that before buying if that's an important detail.
For slightly better specs, I now use an E2L-A. 120 lumens for 6+ hours.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I owned one for a while. Build quality was excellent. The spill was kind of mule-like, perfectly even in brightness throughout except for the small hot spot. The tail cap threads were buttery smooth.
However, I remember the 50 lumen setting setting running for 5 hours, not 15. You may want to verify that before buying if that's an important detail.
For slightly better specs, I now use an E2L-A. 120 lumens for 6+ hours.

Thanks! I'm ok with the 5hrs @ 50lmn... but of course the longer the better. BTW, how's the E2L-A with a 16650?

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I had one I bought when they first came out, and picked up another one used a couple years after. I gifted the used one to a friend, but still love/use the other one nearly daily around the house. I do agree that the small hotspot is a little odd, but it works well up close. One of these days I will try it out with some diffuser film on the lens. I like that it starts on low, and if you need more light you can cycle to the next level.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one I bought when they first came out, and picked up another one used a couple years after. I gifted the used one to a friend, but still love/use the other one nearly daily around the house. I do agree that the small hotspot is a little odd, but it works well up close. One of these days I will try it out with some diffuser film on the lens. I like that it starts on low, and if you need more light you can cycle to the next level.

Good to know you like yours!