Repurporsing old Fenix E01

KnifeStyle

Newly Enlightened
Back when the Fenix E01 came out as the keychain light equivalent of sliced bread, I bought a black one and it was so nice to look at I couldn't bear to carry it on my keys. It hung around in my gear for a year before I finally got the nerve to put it on my keys during my freshman year of college back in 2009. Today, that poor light is now nearly pure silver with a mirror finish as the anodizing has worn off. At least every few months, the head comes loose and I end up with the head and battery in a pants pocket. The batteries never seem to last whenever I carry it, even when I use lithium cells. But it's trying, so I kept it around even as they released an array of nicer options in the years since.

Today, I once again changed the dead battery...and low and behold it still has a nice beam. While I'm sick of it as a keychain light because the head keeps twisting to and fro, either draining the battery or losing it entirely, I'd like to give it an active retirement. Where would be a good, sensible place for a dead-simple AAA tube light that isn't in my daily rotation of on-body gear? I'm debating leaving it clipped to the top loop of my backpacking tent where it can maybe see use if my headlamp ever goes dead, or possibly lashing it to something with a larnyard like those pens at the bank. I'd love for it to just break out of warranty so I can move on, but it looks like this little guy just has to be stubborn.

Illum

Flashaholic
I would put a lithium battery in it and toss it in a toolbox. when you have no other options, it is a fairly nice solution. One of my E01s that have retired from my keys lived out the rest of its life taped to a screw driver. It seems to like the job going round and round. The duct tape isn't going to budge anytime soon

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you remove the head and drill out the other side, It would make an interesting looking straw?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I tossed mine in a larger PSK bag aka possibilite pouch. Also put an extra lithium AAA primary inside a little plastic baggie. Who knows maybe one day it will help save the day..... or maybe not but it could be an excuse to work on building a Personal Survival Kit if yea don't already have one.

1DaveN

Enlightened
Both of my laptop bags have E01s in them, with a lithium primary and a spare. They don't get a lot of use, but they come in handy in hotels, at conferences, etc. Maybe stick it in whatever bag you carry most often?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
possibility(sp?) pouch.

I kept saying this over and over to my buddy and his sister on my last trip to Zion. They had no idea wth I was talking about. When I get stuck on something like that I get S_T_U_C_K. So for the next 3 days I was constantly referring to my "possibility purse". I. was. dying. laughing. I mean like, I didn't get 2 sentences out the whole trip that didn't include "possibility purse". "Wake up! Grab your possibility purses lets go!"

:crackup: