LED surpases General

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "LED and Electrolumenescent" forum now has more posts than "General Flashlight … Discussion" forum. I guess we like our LED's
smile.gif

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess pumping tons of battery sucking power through a metal wire and heating it (almost to the melting point) in a vacuum to give off light and replacing it often, is not as much fun. If I were marooned on some other planet I would much rather have hundreds of hours of not so bright light than a couple hours of bright light
smile.gif
Or how about the movie Castaway, when he finds a flashlight on the dead pilots body only to have it die the first night. I thought when he first found it, it was one of those LED pilot lights. Would have made a good advertisement for some company. Sales would have shot threw the roof. Also LEDs are more for the adventuresome type...I haven`t heard of anybody being arrested for flashing their incandescent light ...yet. Sorry Craig, you have to admit, now that the crises is past, it seems...well...funny...I was telling my wife about what happened to you but realized I couldn`t keep a straight face...she never believed me. Good thing too...she won`t let me associate with hardened criminal types such as yourself
smile.gif

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by KenB on 01-02-2001 at 09:00 PM</font>

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenB:
...I haven`t heard of anybody being arrested for flashing their incandescent light ...yet. Sorry Craig, you have to admit, now that the crises is past, it seems...well...funny...I was telling my wife about what happened to you but realized I couldn`t keep a straight face...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't blame you a bit. If it weren't so traumatic, I'd be laughing until pee came out. :/

But my status as a scofflaw was short-lived, so I am once more a fully legal gun-toting, regularly voting, LED flashlight carrying member of society.
smile.gif

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

------------------

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've noticed how this "LED" forum is beating the regular ("old fashioned"?) Flashlight forum...

I was thinking of trying to drum up support, but I'll move with the times.

Other than my PhotonII's, I don't see the need for any other LED lights apart from one in my emergency kit. This must be waterproof, as bright as possible at need, and last as long as possible without having to change the batteries. These batteries should be Lithium of type to withstand the cold.

Any ideas?

Alastair

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thumbs up for LightWave 2000 , fits the
pocket , looong life on 3 AA cells , also
the only LED light I have not broken or
tried to modify after a full year of daily
( OK , nightly ) use .

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, how much do you want to spend? I would cast my vote on the white trek 7. Take my chance on E-Bay-..shoot for ...maybe...$45.00. But with the Lightwave you can use lithium batts you want to. So that's something to consider heavily. Lithiums are brighter than standard to owing to their 1.7 volt output. And of course thier cold weather performance is much better (so I have heard). Hmm...the more I think about it, maybe the Lightwave is a more sensible choice for a "use once in a while emergency light" but bet you find yourself using it, or whatever you pick a lot more than once and while. What`s the weather like in England ...it is cold here and I`m in Florida!

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by KenB on 01-03-2001 at 06:31 PM</font>

Brock

Flashaholic
A lot of people ask me what to get, I usually say a Photon first, then Lightwave. It does depend on what you like in a light, tight beam or wide beam, waterproof, size? The Lightwave fits the bill as a good LED light to replace a "standard" flashlight. It is also durable and not too expensive. As mentioned by Ken if you put lithium's in it you have a great emergency flashlight that should run over a day.

Oh ya, I am glad to see this forum ahead in the numbers
smile.gif
I have been watching us creap up on them for a while.

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led.htm

Doug

Enlightened
Looking at the beam comparisons on ledmuseum, the Expediton 7 Led, and the LightWave 2000's beems seem similar (which the Expedition being wider), but which one THROWS farther? I just got an Expedition .... seems reasonably bright (not as bright as a P.O.S. maglite 3D, but much better beam quality, of cource).

Doug

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Doug, I`m going to go back to the grave yard and see if I can drag up some old pic`s.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

If one is looking for a rugged survival light and does not need to light up the world, I think the Ininity fits the bill perfectly. Small, uses one AA battery which is easy to change, very rugged, and runs for 40+ hours on one battery (Lithium even better). I have switched from Photons to Infinity for my small carry around light.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

well if you need light mainly for close-up work and are considering infinity over photons, then you should consider the pocketbright, also made by lightwave; it's waterproof, and it's regulated so it puts out useful light several times (3x to 4x) longer than photon. the (larger than photon) lithium batteries are easy to change with a (very short) twist of the gasketed hatch...my favorite though is the 'pen' streamlite that uses 3 aaaa batteries (if only THEY came in lithium!) -- VERY rugged, o-ringed, very bright - available with green led too - which I have on order - should last a long time on a set of batteries, I'm hoping...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Looking at the new Streamlight BatonLite due out shortly, I got to thinking. I am sorry if someone else has preceeded me and I am either sticking both feet in or boring…

3 N cells would fit in a 2AA mini maglite with only a little finagling. This would give us 4.5VDC in a known extremely sturdy package. N cells are 12mm across by 29.5mm long. 3 N would be 88.5mm long. AA batteries are 14.5mm across by 50mm long. 2 AA would be 100mm long. We would need a conductive spacer between 9mm and 11.5mm or so long (preferably placed in the rear end where the spacer would be at the same voltage as the case of the flashlight and would not short out anything.) and we might find that the N cells would need to be wrapped up to 1.2mm thick.

Up to 7 standard 5mm LEDs could be built into a head replacing the reflector and the bulb. (yes there is room. Close, but room enough) I would have to leave out probably the center LED to make room for the limiting resistors. At full power this could generate between 12 and 90 or so candle power (12,000 to 90,000 millicandellas) depending on the LEDs chosen, but without any beam adjustability. ( I would probably include 1 or 2 wide angle LEDs to limit beam blindness…) 6 times the nominal LED draw of 20mA gives a total draw of 120mA. Panasonic N cells are rated at 400mAh so that would supply semi-full brightness to the 7 LEDs from the 3 N cells for about 2 hours. Dimming over several additional hours. The total run time would be about 6 to 8 hours as compared to the Streamlight BatonLite's advertised time of 12 hours with 42,000 millicandellas.

There would not be room for much of a step-up type regulator with 7 LEDs, but with 7 LEDs even the 3 volts from 2 AA alk batteries would still be enough for me to read by or not trip over something. It would have somewhere from ½ to 5 candle power (500 to 5,000 millicandellas.) (This would be approximately doubled for 2 of the AA lithium cells!) I have a longevity test still running from Feb. 8, 2000 with a single white LED on a pair of AA alkalines. It is DIM but still enough to read regular print and to walk semi-carefully in pitch darkness. At the very least it means that I should never have to light a match in total darkness. The 6 or 7 LEDs would give a more useable light for around a month or 2 continuously on a single pair of AAs. Would it be a "waste of LEDs"? I am going to leave that up to the individual reader.

My show stopper is the fact of the mini Maglite twist-on head. The LED assembly would have to twist in the head. Or replace the pegged piece that says DO NOT REMOVE. This is the only part keeping me from doing it. (I know, all this way to a dead end.) Has anyone else overcome this problem?

I additionally wish Maglite or somebody made a 3 AA or AAA version, or that they sold an extender for the tail to add another cell. This would give about 5 to 6 times the battery life of the N cells cutting battery costs by a factor of 9 to 20, and only add 2 inches in length. I thought I saw something like that for the D lights years ago but cannot find it now.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

oh (in a very small voice)

Well, was not trying to re-invent wheel, just happened. Are they still available? No price page at the site you gave for that product.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I thought maglite made a single AAA light called the Solitare. I wonder if an LED would fit in there? Of course, with a set-up circuit of some sort.

Brock

Flashaholic
Yes, they make a single AAA light. I have one that has a 4800 white Nichia and a A23 (12v) battery. Then a small spaceer, (56 ohm resistor) in line. It is ok, but you only get about 1 hour of light, and it is linear, so you see it droping off as the battery goes. I origionaly had 3 resistor spacers and 1 blank spacer and would replace them as the battery went. It worked but was a pain to change all the time.

Brock

Doug

Enlightened
Odd... they only show 3 LED model... good prices though... $29...

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
I hate to tell you but you just built the FlashLED made by Ledtronics, you can find it at http://www.ledtronics.com/safetyled/index.html

It sounds like an excellent idea though, it was actually one of my first LED lights. I just stretched out the spring and it worked fine, I just have a single white 2000 MCD led in there, it works.
smile.gif

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led.htm
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Latest posts