Looking for a thrower

chriscorv58

Newly Enlightened
I've been on a flashlight binge, Nitecore TM26, P12, Thrunite tis, TNa4aa, and an Olight S1 Baton. I do enjoy all of the lights listed above but what I would like to purchase next is an extremely long range light.
Please post opinions as I have been loving the advice I've been given so far.
Thanks, Chris [emoji1]

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight M3XS-UT, twin cell, pencil beam thrower.
Has spill, but that is not primary use IMO.
1200 lumens, 250K CD, range is kilometer or so, better used under that distance.

You'll get many, that's just one ☺

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throw = Nitecore TM36. Or similar. Small emitter and large diameter reflector and large depth reflector.

More power and reasonable throw = Acebeam K60.

Larger emitter is what the K60 has, so that yields more power, but then less throw results.

Both of the above lights are on my radar, but I have not purchased them yet.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
all depends on how much you value your factory warranties. You could opt for a Vinh customized light with 2x factory throw or better light with no factory warranty or just find the best deal you can on an Olight M3X-UT which throws 260,000 candela which is frigging insane for a factory light. What is your budget? If there is no dollar limit go to Vinhs section of the forum and take your pick. Is there a size limit? For example a Fenix TK61 is HUGE the already mentioned Olight comes with an extension tube for 2x18650 capability and an excellent open bottom sheath to carry it.

Its very easy to get overwhelmed with what is available in throwers today. Stop and think of how easy a thrower that catches your interest would be to carry with you on foot. The Olight M3X-UT is going to give you the easiest to carry and live with ergonomics AND 260,000 candela. The beam out of this stock Olight has no artifacts, tint is close to halogen yellow, beam diameter is very wide and the spill is bright enough to prevent tunnel vision on all mode levels.

The huge mega throwers (TK61 size and up) are good for two things-showing off and serious search and rescue. The rest of the time these beasts will sit on a shelf. In my suburban area here alongside the Potomac River the M3X-UT has been overkill. The lights throw beam is so powerful and concentrated and just throws so damn far lighting up ppls houses accidentally during the night is far to easy. I tested out the Olight along the rivers edge and the light actually lit up the Maryland side of the river as well as every buoy and boat in the way. The ppl on the boats really didnt appreciate the light up. Went further north into Old Town Alexandria trying for cross river beam shots and got hassled by the Alexandria PD who suspected I was casing peoples houses for robbery with my light and camera.

Be careful with what you choose. My Olight SR52 cranks 102,000 candela and even that is pretty much as far as my eye can see. Its 3x18650 and heavy though. Also consider doing your own thrower build with a host light there are plenty of custom drop in and parts makers for D cell Mags. My #1 light that lives in my car is a 20+ year old Black 4 D cell Mag that was originally a weak incandescent. It sat in my closet until I discovered CPF years ago and discovered Malkoff lights. Did my research and using that old big black Mag dropped in the $80 XML2 700+ OTF lumen Malkoff hand made drop in, bought some aluminum reflectors from Deal Extreme from smooth Mag reflectors through light orange peel medium and heavy to experiment. Also bought a batch of thick optical quality glass lenses that have a higher than average quality AR on both sides. Finally I bought 4 11000mah Powerex NiMH D cells and a big Maha charger to charge them.

Including the original $19.99 I bought the light for in 1995 Ive got $200 in the light. I went from smooth reflector to light orange peel which eliminated beam artifacts. No it doesnt crank 260,000k no it doesnt do 1000 lumens. What it does do is crank what is to my eyes compared to my dozens of other lights 800 OTF lumens and roughly close to 90,000 candela and it will maintain that out put for more than an hour before it drops to 60-70% which will run for hours. A feat none of my other lights can do. It also makes a hell of a baton with the fat Powerex NiMHs in it. The beam diameter out of the light is the widest out of my nearly 40 high out put LED collection.

Pocket throwers are the most realistic for EDC and there are many now to choose from. Good luck....check out Vinhs end of the forum then scroll through Selfbuilts review page for stock light research. Good luck

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Olight M3XS-UT recommended above is an awesome light, but I recently got an Olight SR52-UT as well and I actually like it better. Its got the same reflector assembly as the M3XS-UT but uses and XP-L HI emitter instead of a fully dedomed unit. The result is about 100m less throw (so 900m instead of a km), but much better tint. And, just a personal preference, but I prefer the 3x18650 parallel arrangement instead of the 2x18650 series setup. Its just feels better in my hand. Plus its got onboard charging as well. Oh, and its 20% cheaper!

I posted a fairly comprehensive review of the SR52-UT on another forum if you want to read it. Any questions, I'll be happy to help if I can.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a home made snoot on my M3XS-UT Javelot.

I like pencil beams where needed, its actually got spill, just not bright.
Just to give an idea to op.

39e23f8d0e7b6f51d61f9bba647b9cd8.jpg

c509bdec4f95198396b4b633f1f0d3b6.jpg

chriscorv58

Newly Enlightened
Seems like the Olight M3XS UT will be my next light unless I pony up and buy something custom. Thanks!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
as for the SR52 UT I cannot wait to have the cash for one! The SR52 is one of the greatest high output LED lights I have ever bought. Flashlions review of the SR52 UT is amazing. Sure the M3X UT may throw further but the SR52 UT seems to have a much more useful and even spill beam on top of having what looks like the whiter tint of the traditionally domed XP-L V5 which is awesome!

I dig the Sr52's 3x18650 set up as well and have zero issues carrying my stock SR52 in its belt sheath. Ive bought a dozen or so lights this year and the "fund" is pretty darn dry. I WILL get the SR52 UT which uses what is actually called an XP-L HD emitter (thin silicone wafer over the emitter) NOT a true XP-L HI de dome which has nothing over the emitter. Olight seems to have pulled off what many thought could not be done by protecting the emitter without a dome, keeping true XP-L tint while doubling throw at the same time. SR52 UT beam appears to be artifact free to boot. Run time and regulation seem to be out standing all with the micro USB built in charging capability. I travel with the SR52 a good bit alongside my custom Malkoff Mag. If I need to see further than my Malkoff can throw the SR gets it done and I can plug it right into my cars USB port to charge again.

I travel from pitch dark countryside to light polluted suburbs in the same night a good bit and use my array of lights quite a bit. All that being said the M3X-UT, while not as stout as the SR or as long running on higher out put, is a benchmark light in terms of out put, throw, beam quality and mostly compactness and portability. I will only spend so much on any light hence I do not have any Tiny Monster lights. Would love a TN32 but its HUGE to big for my needs that my SR and a couple other lights can fulfill.

The below 80,000 candela pocket throwers are pretty hot right now and I love it. Although the TK32 would need a deep pocket its still the most compact 40,000k Ive got. Now Ive got the ET T25C2 with the drop in XP-L HI module which quite honestly appears to out throw the TK32 and slides easily into the pocket. Got the G25C2 MkII XP-L HI that is just a factory freak that got loose. I swear it cranks at least 1200 lumens OTF and is kicking 55k+. Run both ET's off 2x3600mah 18650. Run time with both is great. Output for both is top of class. My G25C2 XP-L has that true white XP-L domed white tint yet is a true de dome. Ive even used a magnifying glass to make sure it wasnt an XP-L HD. True de dome, a bit of the dome remains in tiny bits around the emitter and was de domed by ET. Have no idea why the tints between the two ET's is SO different. The T25C2 XP-L HI module is also a true de dome XP-L but its tint is very very neutral and upon closer inspection appears to be a Cree de dome in fact it does not look like there was ever a dome over the emitter at all. Still very content for all range and out put needs. Ive got the full on turbo head ET MX25L2 SST-90 as well. It may only be a 160k light but throws the biggest throw beam Ive ever seen out of any hand held light. The SST-90 through either standard or turbo head delivers lumens down range with the force of a freight train there appears to be next to no lumen drop over its entire range amazing and VERY expensive.

Not impressed with either the new TM16 or the new TK75. Both companies seem to be afraid of U3, U4 and XP-L emitters in their big lights. Sure the latest XML2 U2's are the best and most efficient U2's Cree have made to date but Im not impressed. Even at 4000 lumens its not very noticeable over the 2900 lumen TK75. Thought throw would step up to no less than 155k in the TM16 and TK75 4xemitter set up. Fenix absolutely has first rate, very stout internal electronics down very well. My 2015 TK35's ability to crank 1000 lumens for a full 30 minutes before timed step down via well designed beefy electronics says quite well for Fenix. Nitecore is capable of better electronics but just dont seem to have the capability to mass manufacture it yet. The EC4 review on this forum shows the light cranking 1000 lumens for over an hour dropping only when the cells gave out. Ill believe it when I see it for myself but new gen (2015-) Nitecores have been a big step up.

Whats next for throwers? The XHP-50 and XHP-70 break new ground in efficiency and both run cool with great out put. Battery technology needs to catch up with todays new lights. Sal at Orbtronic told me Panasonics goal for 2015 was a 4000mah 18650 with a wide amp range and 13+ watt hours. The new Samsung 3500mah 18650s have lower internal resistance than regular IMR cells and will steadily feed up to 8 or 10 amps before the mosfet protection circuits trip. With their lower IR these 3500mah Samsungs should hold their charge better than the 3600mah cells that came right before them and unless you are running some insane 10000 lumen Vinh monster etc. should be near perfect for todays stock throwers. Ive ordered half a dozen of these cells so will post results.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also consider the Maxtoch lights. I really dig the M24 Sniper. Great throw for a stock budget rig. You can order it dedomed from Mtn Electronics and it will throw for days.

JimTokle

Newly Enlightened
Haven't really seen anyone talk about it, but I have the Armytek Barracuda Pro XP-L HI limited edition, and it's ridiculous. Beautiful light that's built like a tank. Slightly less range than the M3XS-UT, but its output is fully regulated and I believe it will stay at max output for longer. It also comes with an alternate body that lets you use one battery in exchange for less runtime.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Just saying, FWIW, the TM16 is a flooder with a decent throw, not the other way around.

I'm not sure why folks expect to get both in one unit. ???

I look at that one as the exact opposite - thrower with good spill.

Big spot, but it's barely lighting up the top of the small tree in front which is only about 10 feet away. I would want a floody light to get much more than that.

TM16.jpg

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I look at that one as the exact opposite - thrower with good spill.

Big spot, but it's barely lighting up the top of the small tree in front which is only about 10 feet away. I would want a floody light to get much more than that.

At 10' using a TM16? ???

In my writing, I'm using the TM16 more along the lines of Search & Rescue at two or three hundred feet using all 4000lm. For shorter distances like your above example of ten feet, I would expect using a smaller light like a MH20 or an EC4. What am I missing? ???

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
At 10' using a TM16? ???

I'm thinking more along the lines of search & rescue at two or three hundred feet. For shorter distances like your above example of ten feet, I would expect the need for a smaller light. What am I missing? ???

No, I think that was something like 300'. I'm talking about the ornamental tree in the bottom-left of the photo. That's maybe 10'. I wasn't aiming at that obviously, but some of the light just nicked that; HARDLY a flooder.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I think that was something like 300'. I'm talking about the ornamental tree in the bottom-left of the photo. That's maybe 10'. I wasn't aiming at that obviously, but some of the light just nicked that; HARDLY a flooder.

Wow! Did I get lucky with the TM16 I was sent. It definitely has a different beam pattern. I'm not knocking your beam pattern as I'm happy with what I have.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Wow! Did I get lucky with the TM16 I was sent. It definitely has a different beam pattern. I'm not knocking your beam pattern as I'm happy with what I have.

Must be. I would call it a thrower just like Nitecore does, especially with the 700m rating. Of course, not a laser beam like M3X-UT or the like.

Like selfbuilts review of the K40M, that is much floodier than my TM16, and the K60 looks similar. His photos are spot on with my observations.