A2 vs Arc4

clapon

Newly Enlightened
I'd like some input. I'm considering one of the above as my next "toy" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.
What I'm looking for is a light with variable output. Specifically for walking the dog in the woods at night.

A low output with good runtime for illuminating the trail up close, and the ability to have decent throw when needed.
I now carry 2 lights to fulfill these needs but thought one of these could handle both well.

I am unsure of the runtimes of the A2 and ARC4 in low output modes, and while the A2 should have similar throw to the E2E which I have, How is the throw on the ARC4 on the higher settings?

Any comments?

Geode

Enlightened
I can't comment on the Arc4, but can about the A2. I have only used my A2 for about 5 minutes, but the instruction manual has some specs.

The LED function on the A2 is not regulated and the manual that came with the light states that "usable light runtime using low-output beam is approximately 20 hours". The graph that accompanies this statement shows the LED output starting at about 3.5 lumens and reaching half of that brightness at about the 18 hour mark. Looks like the light will get really dim around the 40 hour mark.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The three lumens that are supposed to emanate from my Arc AAA is about the minimum amount that I find useful on a wooded trail at night. I like the wider, even, light from my mini m*g/BadBoy for the woods when compared to my Scorpion. One usually doesn't need throw for trail hiking. I do take both because when on the beach at night the throw of the Scorp is good for spotting where the trail heads are.

Seems like an A2 or TT-2 might make an ideal light for wooded walks at night.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
clapon, the A2 is brighter and less expensive, but as you say, it is also bigger.

I took my Arc4+ out in the desert and had no problem at putting a spot on the side of a building, etc at over 100 feet. That was at full power. If you dial down to the about the 3 lumen point (say setting #14), the Arc4 will run off a single 123 cell for over a hundred hours. And it is regulated at all levels. You also have the temperature sensor onboard to protect your LED investment. The Arc4 is also more waterproof and has a more robust switch (electronic power switching versus mechanical).

Peter

Size15's

Flashaholic
One advantage of the A2 is that you can have a different colour low beam LED output. Take your pick of red, blue or green.

Perhaps there will be people with A2's at the SHOT Show and an Arc4 may be there too so they can be compared side-by-side?

Al

clapon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for the input,

I currently use my ARC AAA (white or turquoise) as the primary walking light (it's suprising how little light one needs in very dark conditions), and carry either an E2E or my E1E with PR-T head for throw.
I need the throw to keep an eye on my dog when she ventures off after nightlife. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Like anything else each has it's pros and cons. I prefer the size and form factor of the ARC4 but have not experienced its throw.

The A2 is appealing since I am familiar with the throw, and the runtime sounds decent.

Ah, what to do? Maybe get both! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Thanks Again.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
The Arc4 will not out-throw the A2. I think you need to consider your criteria for making these choice. It's really unfair to compare these two lights, since they are in to completely different categories.

clapon

Newly Enlightened
That is true, but these are the two multi-output lights which would be my first consideration.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two of the Arc4's levels are also user selectable. You have more granularity in the control of your primary and secondary settings where as in the A2, you get two levels--high and low. Considering both have at least dual outputs, you need to consider that the Arc4 is probably more versatile and easier to carry than the A2. The A2 has more throw, no doubt about that. But the Arc4 will probably be used a lot more as a workhorse (EDC) and you will get more for your $$ with the Arc4. For everyday use, the high beam on the Arc4 is sufficient enough for me to not require another light to carry like an incandescent. I found that since having the Arc4, all my other lights except the long throwing incandescents, are starting to gather dust. I guess you need to decide whether you're going to primarily utilize the long throw incandescent or whether a medium throw is sufficient. As Peter noted above, you can light things up over 100 ft with the Arc4.

CM

JohnJ80

Enlightened
I have ordered an Arc4 and I have both a white A2 and a red A2.

For what you describe, I would go for the A2 - I too have a dog (or had one until he died at 17 years old, still not over that) and the A2 would be the better choice since you probably need the high intensity spot. Especially useful if he tangles with another dog or other wild animal. The A2 spot will make them turn and run.

The A2 is a full out tactical brightness with huge throw.

But, I think you need both as a true flashaholic! ;-)

J

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm..
on the one hand, you say it's dark enough to walk with only an Arc AAA.. that gives me the impression that the Arc4's most powerful setting would have adequate throw..
however, if you think your dog wanders far enough away from you that you'll need something more, you'd have to get the Surefire A2 to be on the safe side..

also, like was stated in this thread already, the A2 is available with white, green, blue, or red LED's to go with its xenon lamp..
the Arc4, as far as i know, is only available with the white luxeon..

but with the A2 i imagine you'll be replacing batteries more often than in the Arc4, and also replacing the *expensive* lamp assemblies..

like i said b4, if you want true versatility, then the Arc4 would be great with its large choice of light levels you can "set" it on.. but the A2 will out-throw the Arc4..

so, after typing this all out.. my suggestion:
buy both.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I am waiting for my Arc4 to be delivered, but I can tell you that the A2 is a really good light for walking your dog. I use my A2 w/Blue LED for walking my dog. The blue LED light is great for general walkling and keeping an eye on the dog. Then I cycle up to the spot beam when I need to see distant things or more detail. I have tried many of my other lights and none are better for me. The LSH-P works well for lighting the area around me, but throw is poor in the light polluted suburb. The L4 is good for the areas a little further away, but overkill for the sidewalk and areas right near you. The 6v and 9v SF models like the E2e, Z3, and M3 excell as spot lights but are overkill again at close range. Before I got the A2, I used the LSH-P and tucked the E2e in my pocket for more reach and power. I felt I needed it because there are alot of dogs in my area and not all of them are friendly. I have used the E2e to ward off the meanies before they got close enough to me and my dog. The A2 serves the same role in one package.

bhds

Enlightened
I bought an A2 recently and use it almost exclusively for walking my dog. I work nights and usually take him on walks late at night/early morning in wooded park nearby. I dont have an arc4 but do have aaa, aa, and lsh-p. The 3 leds of the A2(white) are perfect for lighting the trail out to 10 ft and also for "poopie inspections" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Rough estimate would be equiv to light from 3 arc aaa's. Not obtrusively bright but plenty for the job. I rarely use the incand beam but when you need it its there. In fact if it wasnt such a good light for that purpose I probably would have returned it or sold it (surefires inconsistent runtime quotes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif) Somebody was selling a few of them last week in b/s/t.

bhds

Geode

Enlightened
Just another thought about the A2 - Arc4 decision. The A2 appears to be moving up in price on E-Bay, which might be a good predictor of the market. Looks like one will transact in the high $140s.

There are a couple of the white LED (my preference) here on the B\S\T for $134 shipped, and that seems like a fair price.

The pricing on the Arc4 is probably more static, but availability might be an issue at some point.

I gotta say - get both and sell one if you find it doesn't work for you. It is the only way I can think of to make tough decisions.

clapon

Newly Enlightened
Well I just grabbed a white A2 from the B/S/T forums.

This doesn't mean the ARC4 isn't in my future, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif ,but I think I'll give the A2 a shot.

Gone Jeepin' and bhds:

What kind of real world battery life are you seeing in use.
Assuming a 1 hr. walk daily using primarily the low output.
Are you replacing batteries weekly, monthly?

Thanks again.

bhds

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
clapon said:

What kind of real world battery life are you seeing in use.
Assuming a 1 hr. walk daily using primarily the low output.
Are you replacing batteries weekly, monthly?

Its been just about a month since I got mine. I use the leds everytime I walk the dog which is about 4 times a week. maybe 1-2 minutes each night. The incand. I use rarely but when I do it sure is nice having it available. Still on the first set of batts. The A2 is by no means perfect but having a useable low level and eye searing light in one package is nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif