Eagletac MX30L4XC Nichia 219B x 12

markr6

Flashaholic
It's here! I'm not much a reviewer so I'll just give it a quick test and leave my feedback.

MX30b.jpg

Ready to go with some NCR18650GA!
MX30a.jpg

I'll start with the only complaint I can see so far. The main (black) button is more recessed than my MX25L3C Nichia and requires more effort to click. This isn't a huge problem, but it would have been perfect with an easier switch. I didn't intend to catch the switches in this photo, but you can see the difference if you look closely. The MX30 black switch is to the right of the white switch.

MX30e.jpg

I'll definitely be doing a comparison between these two tonight!

The UI is pretty straight forward. I never minded the twisty head on the MX25, but with the MX30 you have the white and black switch.

White: 1 click = low, another click = medium, etc. So if you want the 4th highest mode you click 4 times. No memory, so I can understand if some people don't like this.
Black: 1 click = turbo, another click = off. Press and hold for momentary. While in any lower mode, press and hold for momentary turbo, release to return to previous lower mode.

There is a tail switch that I will never use. VERY awkward on a popcan light IMO. Practically impossible to use one-handed unless you have huge grippy hands and a 6" thumb :)

The usual high quality from Eagletac; you may or may not agree. But I'm sold on Eagletacs lately!

Last edited:

LessDark

Enlightened
Sweet! I'll be looking forward to some beamshots:twothumbs

Nice pair of lights with Nichia holiness you got there, now you only need a M30lC2C with 3xNichia and your family is complete :grin2:

markr6

Flashaholic
Really disappointed in this switch. Very difficult to operate. Sometimes when I click it to turn off, it flickers or goes into strobe since it's so hard to push down - thinks I'm double clicking. :(

BUMMER!!!

LessDark

Enlightened
Ah that's sad to hear, I was hoping eagletac had figured it out now with a proper switch UI, something like fenix.

How does the light compare to the M43 you had?

markr6

Flashaholic
Ah that's sad to hear, I was hoping eagletac had figured it out now with a proper switch UI, something like fenix.

How does the light compare to the M43 you had?

I didn't run this long in hopes I can still return it. I only ran it for 2 minutes and it was hot, but obviously less heat than the M43.

M43 had a better 5000K temp. This 4500K is nice, but I prefer 5000K since it's whiter but still without any real tint. Just white.

The Eagletac definitely feels better in the hand. MUCH BETTER! It covers my hand right to the end of my palm so it's much more comfortable to hold.

At first I didn't think the switch would be an issue, but it's pretty bad. Hopefully it's just a fluke and ET didn't change anything permanently. Like I said, my MX25L3C switch is very easy to operate.

Just a huge disappointment :(

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a SX25L3 with MT-G2 and also a MX25L3 with MT-G2 in the past. The switch on the SX25L3 was too small for my liking and hard to find. When the MX25L3 came out they increased the size of the switch and it stuck out far enough to make it easy to find and use. It looks like the switch on your newer light is smaller like the SX25L3 was. The two switch operation looks pretty easy to use and I personally would rather not have memory. Instant access to low and high from off is a great thing.

markr6

Flashaholic
The switch seems to be the exact same size and same material of my MX25. Just near-flush with the body a lot harder to press. I hate how the simplest things seem to change on you when you don't expect it!

fnsooner

Enlightened
Decisions, decisions. I have been saving up for this light or the M43 Nichia. I already own the M43 with the xp-g dedome and if it weren't for an issue I have with it, I would have already bought the Nichia version.

I bet the switch problem is just bad luck.

I wish the diffuser came with the base model.

Thanks for the impressions.

markr6

Flashaholic
I bet the switch problem is just bad luck.

It would be nice if that were true and I can get a replacement or just a return. I'm not sure what to do since I didn't hear back from the vendor. That is making me nervous since I want to stick with them, and only them for future purchases. I'll wait and see.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch seems to be the exact same size and same material of my MX25. Just near-flush with the body a lot harder to press. I hate how the simplest things seem to change on you when you don't expect it!

So it just needs to protrude more?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be nice if that were true and I can get a replacement or just a return. I'm not sure what to do since I didn't hear back from the vendor. That is making me nervous since I want to stick with them, and only them for future purchases. I'll wait and see.

To be fair, it's Friday and the vendor may be in a different time zone than you.

markr6

Flashaholic
So it just needs to protrude more?

That alone would probably solve the problem or at least help. But could be that it's just to firm to begin with. I feel like I have to use the tip of my thumb to "get into" the switch. Other switches I can simply press with the pad of my thumb. I keep wondering if I'm being picky as usual, but I don't think so. It was obvious right out of the box.

To be fair, it's Friday and the vendor may be in a different time zone than you.

Same time zone, but you're right...Friday and they could be out of the office. I'm impatient!

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
That alone would probably solve the problem or at least help. But could be that it's just to firm to begin with. I feel like I have to use the tip of my thumb to "get into" the switch. Other switches I can simply press with the pad of my thumb. I keep wondering if I'm being picky as usual, but I don't think so. It was obvious right out of the box.

Same time zone, but you're right...Friday and they could be out of the office. I'm impatient!
Gotcha, a stiff button would make things hard. So it's similar to the MX but is much stiffer?

Chaitanya

Banned
No mode memory is a real bummer, at first when I read that Eagletac had done away with their stupid head twisty design I was really happy(after having had a terrible experience with Sx25l3) I thought it was a step in right direction. But then when going through user manual noticed that the engineers at Eagletac were dumb and had omitted mode memory which was a shame an 2 steps backwards again. Still its a good thing for my wallet, wont be impulsively purchasing the NW versions of SX30L3.

saypat

Enlightened
sorry to hear my 'dream light' has an issue. At least I did not buy immediately.

markr6

Flashaholic
sorry to hear my 'dream light' has an issue. At least I did not buy immediately.

After using this some more, I decided I wouldn't call it an issue. And I doubt waiting to buy has anything to do with it since they probably won't change anything.

Looking at the Eagletac site, I noticed many of the lights have protruding switches. But many new ones also have the flush switches. As an example:

MX_switches.jpg

Big difference!! My MX25L3C Nichia is like the top photo. A new model, GX30L2, has a protruding switch. But another new model with a flush switch is the GX30A. So I can't really say it's a change with new models only.

After using my MX30L4XC over the weekend, I think I now have a proper impression of the light. I decided to keep it, since it's EXACTLY what I was looking for: Close enough to my M43, a little longer for a more comfortable hold, and much less heat.

saypat

Enlightened
Wow, big difference! Thanks for the pictures of those switches. It's just that I would hate to spend that kind of money on a light and not be happy with everything about it. That's just me. Would love to see some reviews/beamshots. In time I will. Love the new UI as opposed to twisty. And the length is nice.

great pics,, thanks again.

markr6

Flashaholic
Yes, $200 so you want to love it. I can't say I'm 100% on the switch, but I'll live with it. BTW, the photos above are from Eagletacs website, but they are accurate from what I've seen.

Since I'm not going to return it, I'll actually start using it now. Maybe some beamshots tonight or tomorrow.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, $200 so you want to love it. I can't say I'm 100% on the switch, but I'll live with it. BTW, the photos above are from Eagletacs website, but they are accurate from what I've seen.

Since I'm not going to return it, I'll actually start using it now. Maybe some beamshots tonight or tomorrow.

I am glad to hear you can live with it, as it really looks like an excellent light. That much neutral white hi CRI output is very appealing. Those photos you found are good examples of the possible differences between models.

markr6

Flashaholic
I am glad to hear you can live with it, as it really looks like an excellent light. That much neutral white hi CRI output is very appealing. Those photos you found are good examples of the possible differences between models.

The high CRI is very apparent when you blast it on high in a room! I'm so used to NW lights, which are fine around 70 or 80CRI. But certain things just stand out like the real color of the carpet, clothes, whatever.

Not the most practical light, but damn it's just so impressive. Partners well with my MX25L3C Nichia! Honestly, I could see myself selling this in the future, but I'll just have to keep it and see how much use it gets for now.