High CRI High colour temperature

clemence

Newly Enlightened
Today I just read Cree's XHP70 data sheet and saw that they have bin for 7000K @ 90CRI.
I've never seen such LED before. How its look like? We're getting used to perceive high CRI LED with reddish colour temp.
I saw Yuji LED advertised that they have it (high temp, high CRI). I'm wondering how high temp-high CRI LED spectrum curve would look like.
Some data from XHP data sheet:

XHP70A-00-0000-0D0UK20DT Bin:K2 Flux:1200 CCT:7000K
XHP70A-00-0000-0D0UK20E2 Bin:K2 Flux:1200 CCT:5700K
XHP70A-00-0000-0D0UK20E5 Bin:K2 Flux:1200 CCT:4000K

Based on above data, Does it mean a warm LED spectrum curve with normal cool blue "spike"?

I'm a fan of 4000-5000K temp for flashlights applications. For home lighting I prefer warmer temp to make it a more relax place. To have a near sun CCT with high CRI would be great.

Last edited:

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
High CRI at 7000 K color temperature would look like midday sunlight (6500 K), but a bit bluer.

However, the human experience of too warm vs. too cool depends upon the illuminance: Kruithof curve. There is a reason why most people prefer warm color temperatures for indoor lighting.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
High CRI at 7000 K color temperature would look like midday sunlight (6500 K), but a bit bluer.

However, the human experience of too warm vs. too cool depends upon the illuminance: Kruithof curve. There is a reason why most people prefer warm color temperatures for indoor lighting.

Don't disagree, here. Just wanted to point out that 5600K is more often used to describe midday sunlight than 6500K. Earlier or later than midday will generally give you lower measurements than that.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting, I am all for high CRI emitters in all CCT ranges. :) Ever since experiencing hi CRI emitters it is hard to go back to lower CRI, even though I have to sacrifice potential output. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a hi CRI Nichia 219C.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

That was an interesting read, I was unfamiliar with those experiments.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't disagree, here. Just wanted to point out that 5600K is more often used to describe midday sunlight than 6500K. Earlier or later than midday will generally give you lower measurements than that.
That's about right. The actaul surface temperature of the sun is 5778K, A decent fraction of the blue energy is scattered by the atmosphere resulting in average daylight as seen on earth having a slightly lower apparent color temperature.

I have no idea why 6500K became a thing for artifical illumination. 5000K looks alright at very high irradiance levels (i.e. many many fluorescence tubes overhead), but in my opinion for indoor applications light sources in the 3500-4500K range look by far the best for indoor lighting.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting, I am all for high CRI emitters in all CCT ranges. :) Ever since experiencing hi CRI emitters it is hard to go back to lower CRI, even though I have to sacrifice potential output. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a hi CRI Nichia 219C.

Somebody in the BLF-Forum mentioned that Nichia has stopped the production of those before they even started.

markr6

Flashaholic
Somebody in the BLF-Forum mentioned that Nichia has stopped the production of those before they even started.

Bummer if that's true. I had many doubts.

BTW, isn't it time to rename that forum? Lots of non-bugeting going on over there :laughing:

clemence

Newly Enlightened
Thx guys. So now, it's clear that a Hi CRI is not anything with warm colour. A light with 5000K or even 7000K can also have Hi CRI too. It's the completeness of all spectrum, not merely the dominant colour.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thx guys. So now, it's clear that a Hi CRI is not anything with warm colour. A light with 5000K or even 7000K can also have Hi CRI too. It's the completeness of all spectrum, not merely the dominant colour.

Yeah it's possible, just not common. Many people here "correctly" associate it with warmer/neutral temps since that's what's available....actually I should even use that word lightly since it's not widespread. Exception...not the rule.

For the record, I think 5000K 90+ CRI is all anyone needs :)

clemence

Newly Enlightened
Yeah it's possible, just not common. Many people here "correctly" associate it with warmer/neutral temps since that's what's available....actually I should even use that word lightly since it's not widespread. Exception...not the rule.

For the record, I think 5000K 90+ CRI is all anyone needs :)

5000K 90+ CRI, never use/seen any LED like that. I definitely want it too

markr6

Flashaholic
5000K 90+ CRI, never use/seen any LED like that. I definitely want it too

Nichia 219B. Make sure it's the 5000K flavor though. Had this in my Noctigon M43...well, I should say 12 separate LEDs!! Amazing! Still some left at intl-outdoor.com!