Do you know of a coincell focusable headlamp please?

petrochemicals

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I joined ages ago to see the pictures on the threads, very informative too!

This post is really on behalf of my mother who wants a coincell head torch for readin books with

I have had a look for a focusable coincell, but I cannot find one, does anyone else know of one please.

Failing that do you have any ideas for a headtorch for reading books with, because i'm thinking snowblindness may be a problem, so frosting the glass and reversing the optics permanently is the only other option.

Thanks, pete

insanefred

Enlightened
Hello, I joined ages ago to see the pictures on the threads, very informative too!

This post is really on behalf of my mother who wants a coincell head torch for readin books with

I have had a look for a focusable coincell, but I cannot find one, does anyone else know of one please.

Failing that do you have any ideas for a headtorch for reading books with, because i'm thinking snowblindness may be a problem, so frosting the glass and reversing the optics permanently is the only other option.

Thanks, pete

Are you looking for a coincell light for it's size? Or are you thinking you'll find something dim enough to read books at night without blinding your self? And not so focused that the light because harsh and again becomes blinding?

Have you looked into the Fenix HL05, it isn't focusable but it goes down to .2 lumens. That should be dim enough with being too blinding.

petrochemicals

Newly Enlightened
The coincell is because of the size, and the focusable thing is because of the blinding light, and so as to not have a brightpoint on the page. I have looked and looked, but can't find one but I wondered if anyone on here knew of one.

If I modyfy something like the ring cybalight coincell, it would be good for reading but not anything else then.

petrochemicals

Newly Enlightened
Get this third post out of the way too,

I've looked t the fenix o5, that's not bad, it's the best I've seen so far for close quarter stuff, and theonly one designed for it. is it angleable like this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZEO1FNI/
Thing with this one is it is focused so even though it's only dim, they have squeezed out a very bright beam in the middle.

insanefred

Enlightened
Get this third post out of the way too,

I've looked t the fenix o5, that's not bad, it's the best I've seen so far for close quarter stuff, and theonly one designed for it. is it angleable like this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZEO1FNI/
Thing with this one is it is focused so even though it's only dim, they have squeezed out a very bright beam in the middle.

Look at the thirteenth photo here. http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=1184&tid=27&cid=2#

I assume that is what you mean by angle. Also, look at the Zebralight H32Fw (the w at the end means it is a warmer tint, I find it a little easier on the eyes for reading), that is super small and doesn't have much of hot spot goes down to 0.01 lumens and yet it is super useful. It is, however, a bit more expensive.

Not to confuse you, I ordered the Zebrakight H600fc mk3, I find the frosty lens excellent for all purpose use and especially at reading maps at night.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
A "mule" is a flashlight or headlamp that does not have a reflector or optic to focus the beam. This means there is absolutely no hot spot with a mule. For close work, including reading, a mule is an appropriate choice in a headlamp. Zebralight and Spark both make headlamps that are mules.

Check out these Zebralight models:

• Zebralight H502w L2 (1xAA)
  • Zebralight H502d L2 (1xAA)
  • Zebralight H502c (1xAA)
  • Zebralight H302w (1xCR123A)
  • Zebralight H602w (1x18650).

I am less familiar with the Spark line up, but its web site lists several mules. You can spot them by the black area where the reflector usually sits. I found these models:

• Spark SD52-NW (2xAA, 1x14500, or 2xIFR14500)
  • Spark SD73-NW (3xAAA)
  • Spark SG3 (1x(R)CR123A)
  • Spark SG5 (1xAA or 1x14500)

Disclaimer: I have never owned or tested any of these headlamps.

Last edited:

petrochemicals

Newly Enlightened
Ahh Insanefred the fenix one does tilt. Yes that was what I meant, I did search for it but couldn't see it tilting. Amazinghow poorley explained some products are considering they are trying to sell them to people. That does look the business for my mom, I thank you.

Thanks for the info Keeping it light. I did see this one which I now know is called a mule. Looks ok too, but no info on the tilting. I do not know how a headlamp without optics would fare with her.

http://silva.se/products/outdoor/siju-cube-grey

The others she isn't really goung to like asthey are too big unfortunatley.

insanefred

Enlightened
Ahh Insanefred the fenix one does tilt. Yes that was what I meant, I did search for it but couldn't see it tilting. Amazinghow poorley explained some products are considering they are trying to sell them to people. That does look the business for my mom, I thank you.

Thanks for the info Keeping it light. I did see this one which I now know is called a mule. Looks ok too, but no info on the tilting. I do not know how a headlamp without optics would fare with her.

http://silva.se/products/outdoor/siju-cube-grey

The others she isn't really goung to like asthey are too big unfortunatley.

All the zebralights and spark headlamps can tilt, I can assure you.

The only concern I have for the Silva Cube is that it is 16 lumens, that can be a lot for reading at night.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not know how a headlamp without optics would fare with her.

The problem with a mule won't be reading. A mule is better than a focused beam for that. Reading with a hot spot means turning your head right and left to keep the hot spot on the part you are reading. With a mule, the entire viewing area is evenly illuminated.

The trouble with a mule is that it has a very limited range. Because the beam is completely unfocused, it has no throw at all.

Here is a video made by CPF member Stefano that demonstrates what the beam of a mule looks like compared to a focused beam. Both of the headlamps in the video are Zebralights. The video shows their high modes, but both have low modes that are plenty low enough for reading. The video really shows off the wide angle you get with a mule. It's very nice for close work.

Stefano also took these comparison shots. These highlight how poorly the mule throws. Note, again, how wide the mule's beam is.

View my animated gif (H600w - H600Fw - H602w)

nD15ev.gif

Indoors or in camp, a mule is usually a good choice. On the trail, however, it does not have enough throw. The mule still has the advantage of a wide angle of view. That eliminates the tunnel-vision you get when walking in complete darkness with a beam that is narrowly focused. Those who choose to hike with a mule typically carry a hand-held thrower flashlight to augment it. This YouTube video demonstrates how that is done. This YouTube video is by virtuovice, but Stefano uses a similar setup for his night hikes.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only concern I have for the Silva Cube is that it is 16 lumens, that can be a lot for reading at night.

Agreed. With 16 lumens shining on it, the reflection from a white page only 15 inches away can be blinding.

I wonder, is the Silva Siju Cube a mule? I see a power button in the middle, with two LEDs, one on each side. The LEDs appear to be 5mm jobs without any focusing optic. It is just possible, however, that what appears to be a 5mm LED might be a 5mm optical lens! I can't tell for certain.

Late addition: Here is a YouTube review that seems to confirm that the Siju Cube is a mule. It also indicates the the Siju Cube has a low mode, but the number of lumens it outputs on low is not given.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a second YouTube review of the Siju Cube. It states that low mode cuts output to 50%. It never says 8 lumens, but, presumably, that's what we are talking about.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

petrochemicals

Newly Enlightened
So the silva does tilt. Thinking about the mule thing. All leds have the optics built in to the led caseing, so depending on the variaty the throw can be narrow or wide.The videos do not much to enlighten us in that regard. I have an led with a long housing, the long led has a very bright point that throws a small hotspot. The optics of the lense with a double sided convex only seem to be an evening factor to smooth the light and do little to alter the beam spread.
I have seen the Fenix iand I saw that it got laughed at, you should call it a mom's light. It looks about the best so far. No clues as to the throw, but it looks like a gentle light. The aa's lamps are out due to size.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen the Fenix... It looks about the best so far. No clues as to the throw, but it looks like a gentle light. The AA lamps are out, due to size.

If occasional reading will be the primary or exclusive use for this headlamp, the Fenix HL05 may be a good choice. It would be nice to be able to try one out, but I guess that's not how Internet shopping works.

I use headlamps in a more general way. I need both low and medium output. Only rarely do I need a bright turbo mode. I also need longer runtimes than "coin" batteries provide. The cost of replacing coin batteries adds up too fast. As it happens, I own rechargers for both NiMH and Li-ion batteries.

For these reasons, I would select either an AA model or an 18650 model. The new Zebralight H600Fd Mk III is a prime candidate for me. For the uses you require, the Fenix HL05 may be a better choice.

Good luck with your search. Please let us know what you end up with, and give us a report about how well it works.