cold temp....will it hurt my LSL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I posted this question in an old thread and got no response and I thought I would try a new one.
My new LSL has the small clear bubble in the lens that was explained by another member to be a result of the very tight tolerance in the head.It is said to be the lens having come in contact with the optic.It is not really a problem and has no effect on beam quality nor brightness.I never even noticed it until I read of others who did notice it.
I recently did a little experiment where I put the light in the freezer for a few minutes to see if it would clear the lens as I know cold shrinks metal a small bit.
It did work and after a few minutes the bubble dissappeared.When the light returned to normal room temp.the bubble was back however much smaller and a different shape.
I am curious if I keep cycling this light between cold temps if it may completely remove the bubble.Does anyone think this may damage my light?
I know this is a minor thing as I can not really even notice the bubble unless I look at the lens at a certain angle.
By the way this is my first Arc product and I am very happy with this light.The output and quality are amazing and I am already planning my next purchase.
Many of my co-workers are also impressed and planning on future purchases.It makes for a great small back up light for patrol work and takes up very little room on my duty belt.
Anyway thanks for any input on this as I know very little on the physical effects of temperature on metal.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is normal for parts to move a bit as the temp changes. We have not seen any cases where this has caused the LS to stop working or suffer any ill effects.

For cold weather use, the 123 cell should work quite well but Alkalines AAs might balk at the lower temps.

Peter

Robocop

Seems like I saw a pic. of an Arc somewhere that was frozen in a cup of water and still working.These are really an amazing product.It does not get very cold here and I am not worried about weather effecting my Arc.
I was basically wondering if the temp.cycling could have any effect on removing the bubble.After removal from cold the bubble was gone for about 10 minutes.It returned shortly but was smaller.
I actually do not notice it as I like the idea of having a product with such tight tolerances.
I must say that this light will get much use on duty and I am very confident in the abilities of Arc and their products.The only problem I have is that now I want one of every light Mr.Gransee makes...it is a weird desire now that I actually got to use one.I guess I am not alone in this as it seems to be a side effect of Arc ownership

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i used my Arc LSL nightly for the past week, where temperatures have remained between -30ºF to -60ºF without any problems what-so-ever.. it's 8 degrees right now, and it feels warm. *lol* the Governor of Maine actually declared a Civil Emergency from the cold weather.

Arc LSL 1 ][ Cold Weather 0

Robocop

BT1324 try your own little experiment and put it in your freezer for about 5 minutes.It will disseappear when you take it out but it returns when it goes back to room temp.
It made my bubble a little smaller but even so I really cant notice it anymore.I may try this a few more times to see if it keeps getting smaller.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robocop : the ARCs ship with a clear protective film on the lens. Are you sure this isnt the cause of the bubble? have you tried smoothing it out by hand?

Skyline

Enlightened
kakster: It's not the film. A number of us have experienced this. In my case, I solved it by simply backing off the battery pack some. Putting the light in the freezer just makes everything shrink a little.

Robocop: Have you tried backing off the battery pack?

Robocop

I did try backing off the battery pack some.It did not change it much at all.I even took the head all the way off and it was still there.The close tolerances of these lights is amazing.It only takes about 2 minutes in a colder temp to remove the bubble.I just timed it..that is kind of a neat thing but it keeps returning.It really does not bother me anymore.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

It would be very interesting to see if your light would start up if it had an hour or two when it was really at sub (-40), and not just coming from a warm environment to a cold one. I am working on a homebuilt with "real" ratings to (-55), and there are very few electronics that are "rated" for this temp.

Thanks HarryN

Status
Not open for further replies.