A2 Green or Blue? (pick one only and why?)

Manila

Newly Enlightened
given a choice of only "green" or "blue" led A2, which one would get your vote?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't think that blue or bright green are very useful (I've have all the colours and have switched back to red)

Out of green or blue I'd get blue... it's cool!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ygbsm

Enlightened
Although I prefer white, between green and blue, I'd get green for better map reading. Red is awful and could be dangerous -- hazards/warnings marked in red are hard to see in red light. Likewise, water is often marked in blue.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a blue, the light pattern from the LEDs was terribly ringy. I don't how the green is but I would not get a blue.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd been considering getting a blue for a long time. The reason is because blue is the easiest way to be seen. For example, crossing the street with the kids, turn on the blue light, and you'll be noticed. In the city, the only blue light on the road belongs to LEOs, and it's easy to notice.

Joe

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I would go for the blue. Easy to notice, and has a "cool" factor to it. I'm not a big fan of green, I usually per white, red, or blue, although green can be perceived as very bright.

-Mike

JohnJ80

Enlightened
I have red and white.

If I had to pick between the two, I would go for the green. I don't need to look for blood trails and the green has some use for its night vision capabilities (although this is a point of contention between some).

J

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Green, Blue is more harsh on the eyeballs and has the least perceived brightness. It also tends to partially fluoresce some objects when not intended.

murphquake

Newly Enlightened
white (mine just came finally! and i'm lovin it like a sausage egg and cheese mcgriddle!) and beamfilters if you need colors... I don't, I'm an EMT and it's my new exam light replacing my 6P (replaced my cheapo disposable penlight with a SL Stylus, white, leaving the plastic cover on for now... both carry nice in a Tactical Tailor Knife/Single Pistol Mag Pouch ( http://www.tacticaltailor.com/ though keep an eye on http://www.emdomusa.com/ as it's my new gear company and nothing would be right without the shameless plug... should have an under construction page up soon with our logo =-D ) but mine's stretched out from the 6P and penlight, so the pocket clips are coming in handy (though when the company gets started i'll just have my own custom made ;-) HTH!
-bill

symes

Enlightened
Red of course, I have one for night sailing and I can do the charting with it then go up and spotlight the dayboards with ease.

I think green for night vision is really only intended for use with night vision equipment isn't it?

Only catch with red is that if you are map reading, then you almost entirely lose the ability to pick out contour relief lines... marine charts of course don't have that problem, as ours are blue!!

Other option of course, shame on me is to get a white one and a little E1 size filter... I have a red one of these for my L1 and that works real well....plus you have the option of the A2 at low level white....

Tough world isn't it....

Simon

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get the white, it's not bright enough to distrub your night vision.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the question was <font color="green"> GREEN </font> or <font color="blue"> BLUE </font> were the choices. Not <font color="red"> red </font> or <font color="white"> white </font> .

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Beretta1526 said:
I think the question was <font color="green"> GREEN </font> or <font color="blue"> BLUE </font> were the choices. Not <font color="red"> red </font> or <font color="white"> white </font> .

[/ QUOTE ]I know. Maybe I should have clarified. I would pass on the green or blue and get the white.

AlecGold

Enlightened
Mmmh, I wonder, why specific blue or green?
If you're afraid of the light getting mixed up with gun flashes you should choose blue, when following bloodstains also get blue, in other cases I would pick green.

For myself, I chose red: it doesn't destroy your night sight/night vision and it is bright enough to walk trough a dark forest. When in need of reading a map I have planned my route before and therefore now any dangers. Beside that, on maps in the Netherlands the contour and warning signs are brown-red and light up grey under the A2-red light. So for me red works. And for warning cars (I often walk beside countryroads) a single flash of red gets most cardrivers cautious enought and they drive often by with no more then 10-15 miles. If they don't slow down, jump in the ditch beside the road or you might end up in it anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

What is the reason for choosing between green or blue?

haley1

Enlightened
I'm not sure why you want only green or blue unless you have the other colors. As for some of the comments given. I use night vision gear on duty and using green illumination isn't really that affective as it is too bright. Infrared is the thing to use in this case. I can't really say anything about blue as the only time I've followed a blood trail is in the snow when any color would have worked. As for red washing out certain colors on maps, it's true but if you prepare properly it's not an issue and it does help you keep your night vision. I've used it for over 20 years with good results, I tried both blue and green when I heard they were better. They weren't. Anyway to quite babbling Red to preserve night vision, white for true colors, the others are just cool. Like the rest of us you'll get both anyway, so splurge.

Manila

Newly Enlightened
you guys are right, have the Red already.

the wifee has the white one

may leave the red one in the car for purposes of map reading or some sort of night reading and deciding on blue or green since the wifee already has the white one