Nitecore MT20A or Nitecore EA21

sybaris

Newly Enlightened
Hi Forum

Need some help. I am looking at an EDC light for someone and I figured a AA is best for them as everywhere sells batteries and they are cheap, replaceable etc.
I also want something of this size and shape. (Won't start up a discussion about this but the length and width is suitable for needs).
Have narrowed down the search to Nitecore MT20A or Nitecore EA21. I did look at the Fenix LD22 but the Nitecore seems to offer more.

What are the pros and cons between these 2 nitecores?

Thanks

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main difference would be the UI. If you want a tail switch for momentary/on+off and side switches for mode changing, get the MT20A. If you want everything to be controlled by side switches, get the EA21.

pitweiler

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked at the Fenix LD22 2015 edition? I use a Fenix LD12 for EDC. For me, the 2xAA length lights are too long. If it was me, I'd pick the MT20A. I like a tail switch, but don't like side switches too much. I don't mind it on the LD12, but I'd rather have a multi-function tail switch or a double switch tail cap like the Nitecore P20. I like my P20, however I'd be lying if I said it was 100% reliable. Another story for another thread. My LD12 has been a tank.

sybaris

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I looked at the LD22 but Nitecores have more to offer. I have the old LD20 so I know the size, was my first light.

NitecoreStore

Enlightened
Yes, it is a bit hard to choose between these two lights. Both the MT20A and EA21 have the same brightness, use 2xAA battery, have very similar size, weight, and price. However, MT20A does have a few improvements over EA21, which may or may not be critical to you. MT20A has longer running times across brightness levels. MT20A has a tail cap switch but EA21 doesn't. Both lights have two side switches. EA21 has one switch as a power switch and another as a mode switch while MT20A has two side switches that adjust brightness up and down. In my personal opinion, MT20A is an easier to use and more functional light, so I would pick MT20A over EA21. However, they are both quality lights, you can't go wrong with either one.

What does everyone else think?

ginaz

Enlightened
i've been looking at these two myself, as well as the new e20. i'm leaning ea21 because i feel the mt is just a bit too long. i'm also concerned about the beam. my friend has the srt-3 and the red light is almost useless in addition to making some artifacts in the main beam