Arc LSH-S optic problem...please advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently acquired an Arc LSH-S and I LOVE it! When I first received it, I noticed what appeared to be some "farkle" right next to the emittor. I know this to be somewhat normal and a "non-issue" for the most part, so I wasn't really concerned. After a couple days of use, I began to notice that the amount of farkle seemed to be "growing"! Upon closer inspection under a lighted magnifying glass, I noticed what appear to be small cracks at the very base of the optic. At first, they were only on one side of the optic; but now, they're around the entire base of the optic, and they appear to be getting longer. They aren't affecting the output up to this point, but if they get much bigger they may. I haven't dropped the light, and I handle it at all times with "kid gloves", so this is somewhat perplexing! Has anybody else ever had this or a similar problem? Can I change out the optic without much trouble? Any help/input would be GREATLY appreciated! I didn't buy the light brand new...it was acquired in a swap, so I'm not sure if warranty applies. If I can get the optic swapped out, I'll be perfectly content! Thanx for any input in advance!

PJD

diddy808

Newly Enlightened
If you got the light from Arc, I belive you have a 30 exchange policy throught the company. Arc has excellent customer service, so I would belive that you would not have any problems with exchanging your light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the warranty does apply if we made and assembled the entire unit. And, that is a 10 year warranty.

I haven't heard of farkle growing in size but it is entirely feasible. You could open it up if you wanted, but those piece are fairly small in size. The lens magnifies things.

Peter

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter...I don't think it is farkle. I thought that's what it was when I first noticed it, but after looking at it under a magnifying glass, it appears to be small "hairline cracks" at the base of the optic that seem to be getting slightly larger. I may be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me. I'll gladly pay you to replace the optic. I'll e-mail you about it...Thanx for looking!

PJD

dtlent

Newly Enlightened
Can a ARC LSH-P regular optics be replaced with the Fraen Lens easily or does it require a different head or modification?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Spacemarine said:
Does one lose the warranty if the LSH is disassambled? (I mean the opics taken out of the head in order to clean / inspect it)

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think so and rightfully so.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
...no, I'm not seeing the wirebonds; those are in the emittor itself. This is in the NX05, at the base where it covers the emittor...

PJD

Spacemarine

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:

[/ QUOTE ]

But if Peter says a few posts above

"Yes, the warranty does apply if we made and assembled the entire unit. And, that is a 10 year warranty. (...) You could open it up if you wanted, (...)"

This sounds to me linke you could open it without loosing the warranty.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, let me qualify that... If someone opens the light up, they pay for any damage. We only will repair damage that Arc caused at the factory.

We can tell if the unit was opened up.

Peter

Experiment_626

Newly Enlightened
I'd let it go for now. If it develops into a problem in the future (next 10 years that is) Peter will make it right.

I wish other companies had Arc's customer service attitude!

Peter: Any more LS seconds anytime in the near future? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Spacemarine said:
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:

[/ QUOTE ]

But if Peter says a few posts above

"Yes, the warranty does apply if we made and assembled the entire unit. And, that is a 10 year warranty. (...) You could open it up if you wanted, (...)"

This sounds to me linke you could open it without loosing the warranty.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, think about what you're saying here. Why would anyone (even Peter) continue to warrant something that someone cracked-open? Short of unscrewing the tailcap to install a new cell, any other dissassembling of the unit should void the warranty. Can Arc/will Arc fix it? Sure.... however you pay for repairs.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that as long as what I'm seeing doesn't affect the output, I'm not gonna worry about it. If it does in the future, I'll send it back to Peter for repairs. I don't know if this particular LSH has been opened, since I acquired it in a swap. If it has been, I can't tell...overall, it's in excellent shape!

PJD

Status
Not open for further replies.