• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Designing the Perfect Flashlight

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Never again? Booooo. Looks like a big seller. The one on the right. Mmmmm

I have been watching your preferences for a long time and do have some ideas for the ideal RecDNA flashlight, so even if you miss out you may not be missing out. :naughty:

Last edited:

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Moddoolar Triple Wasp Cooling Head and Glow System

I have been watching your preferences for a long time and do have some ideas for the ideal RecDNA flashlight, so even if you miss out you may not be missing out. :naughty:

Oh no...I need to do a lot of overtime whenever you get 'some ideas.'

Last edited by a moderator:

recDNA

Flashaholic

I'm honored - thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

archimedes

Flashaholic

I wish I could get an ideal archimedes flashlight ... :party:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Custom Triple Copper Surefire E1e & E2e (XGP2/219)

I wish I could get an ideal archimedes flashlight ... :party:

Perfection is trying to fill a 10 liter cube with irregular shapes. If you want 10 liters of shapes, you need a 12 liter cube. I don't know anyone with a harder wish list than Rec. Work to hit his 12 and even if I miss by 2, we still have a full 10.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Re: Custom Triple Copper Surefire E1e & E2e (XGP2/219)

The trouble is I probably can't afford my ideal light! I just can't get over anyone remembering my drivel!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The trouble is I probably can't afford my ideal light!
There are 3 layers to wanting it all:

1. additional total features require additional time/effort
  2. some features are mutually exclusive, like small and powerful
  3. if a particular feature was easy, it would already be everywhere and wouldn't be on your list

You are probably already fulfilling most features with multiple other lights. So the cost question is, would it be worth selling them, to get a new light that made them all obsolete?

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Custom Triple Copper Surefire E1e & E2e (XGP2/219)

The trouble is I probably can't afford my ideal light! I just can't get over anyone remembering my drivel!

rec - I remember your drive. It may have been the longest running search for the perfect AAA or CR123 light. When the LF2XT wouldn't do it for you I was left completely stumped. :) You were a tough customer and I was actually surprised and very happy when you took the the HDS lights the way you did.

I am really curious what Dan has up his sleeve on this one.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Even I forgot about the AAA thread. I suspect I will always be searching for the perfect CR123A. I do have a preference for pocketable flashlights with neutral beam. HDS remind me of Swiss automatic watches. Beautiful works of engineering yet there are less expensive options that do more. (I wear a Gear 2 watch) There are actually a lot of things in a flashlight I like but they all have a nice pocket clip. HDS rotaries do not.

I also am anxious to see the new Oveready of course. Dan's products are a generation ahead while still retaining the look of a classic. The Wasp head is brilliant. I mean how do you think of a look like that that is also functional. Nothing else remotely similar.

Last edited:

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off could we please get a summarized list of Mr. DNA's list of wants?

Secondly my less picky .02 is a Spy styled body with HDS rotary electronics.

Optional clip, maybe optional "bezels" that switches between traditional reflector, diffused reflector, aspheric, & TIR as potential thread on/off options.

CR123 or 18350 cells.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Optional clip, maybe optional "bezels" that switches between traditional reflector, diffused reflector, aspheric, & TIR as potential thread on/off options.
How do Elzetta's existing optic options strike you?:

could we please get a summarized list of Mr. DNA's list of wants?

I've not made or seen a single coherent list. But here are some of his more popular threads:

But his appeal for me is less about what a particular request is then how far it goes. Its not just 'have a clip', its have a bezel down clip. And its not just 'have a bezel down clip', its have a deep carry bezel down clip, etc.

Last edited:

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta's optic options are extremely intriguing to me but I can't justify yet another light ecosystem at this point.

Then again maybe I need to downsize & optimize my collection/array.

That and IIRC the "throw" optic is more of a punchy flood than a SF type TIR. That would need to be addressed.

Have some reading to do...

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to go OT here, but we all have our own personal idea of the "best" flashlight. I have been able to find mine in the V10R Ti and the HDS Rotary. They tick all my happy buttons. If I could have just one more - an AAA light with electronic switch and an infinite rotary UI the same size as the LF2XT - I would be complete. :)

It may never actually happen but dreaming of that perfect flashlight is half the fun.

In the meantime I have found lights that have gotten me 95% of the way there. I wish only the same for recDNA and am still curious what Dan has in mind.

nbp

Flashaholic
I don't even know what my perfect flashlight would be if I could design one. :thinking:

Host by McGizmo, indestructibility and electronic switch of HDS, and the UI of Armytek Prime? That would be pretty sweet.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't nail it down... it can't be done?
I'm not even sure I want it?
Where I'll look:
Oveready
HDS
McGizmo

If I had to choose just one..... tough choice.

I love Oveready Surefire mods with triple drop ins (and basically everything else they do too).
I love CR123 sized McGizmo's. The Haiku, Sundrop and Mule are amazing.
But....
Just one, I'd have to say a HDS clicky and no jewels or bells and whistles or any level of tinkering can make this light more useful or desirable.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
There is no one coherent thread because I am often incoherent but I suspect I got some attention with my old flashlight designers are failing us thread. Since then many including Oveready have given us TOO many ways to spend TOO much money. LOL

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no one coherent thread because I am often incoherent but I suspect I got some attention with my old flashlight designers are failing us thread. Since then many including Oveready have given us TOO many ways to spend TOO much money. LOL

Too many ways to spend too much money is right ha ha.
On that note I think I should have added Malkoff to my little list above.