Idea: How to deal with vicious criminals in prison

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give them some of what Blinded is smoking and maybe they'll mellow out and detail their cells. Cough!

Put em to work and wear them out so they're too pooped to punch.

If they're vicious and violent they probably cannot be rehabilitated, so keep em isolated and give them no chance for parole.

Yeah, run some scientific experiments to determine the effect of psychoactive chemicals on the criminal mind.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea - some of those crazies may even volunteer. The first experiment should be to test for eye damage when shining bright lights into their eyes.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i beter not share my views on this but if i was in charge it would suck to be a criminal

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
there are certainly cases where i'd like to adminster some "lessons" to the guilty party myself!

really, things need to change, but not in the way they are changing.
as it is, sometimes the guilty party has more rights than the victems! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

is the 3 strike law still in effect? that was a good one.

roguesw

Enlightened
i say bring on the old gladiator arena,
heck, it might replace football as the ultimate contact sport
just my 2cents

Negeltu

Enlightened
Re: Idea: How to deal with vicious criminals in pr

Maybe, but there are a few people in prison that don't belong there. Our justice system is nowhere near perfect. Lots of mistakes. How would you separate the truly guilty ones from the innocent? We are not gods who deal perfect justice.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Negeltu said:
Maybe, but there are a few people in prison that don't belong there. Our justice system is nowhere near perfect. Lots of mistakes. How would you separate the truly guilty ones from the innocent? We are not gods who deal perfect justice.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't, but you can get real close. That is the system we have, and yes there will be a few out of the several hundreds of thousands that are prison now. It is the best system there is, and the deterent should be in the penalties (which for the most part are a joke now). I feel like if you can't keep from commiting a felony for the 3rd time perhaps it's time for life in prison. Hard labor, because if you haven't learned by then, you just aren't going to.

And yes prisoners have rights, but after a 3rd unsecessful appeal they should get the same rights they gave their victims.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Negeltu mentions the primary reason I oppose the death penalty. I'd rather that we didn't, hypocritically, kill people who kill people to show that killing is wrong. A man from my area was just released from prison after serving 18 years for a crime he did not commit. Our system of so-called justice is quite flawed.

I'm not for torturing either, I believe we are just having a little fun & fantasy on this topic.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think there is hypocrisy in insisting that someone pay for a life taken with their own. I think it should be expected and would serve as a decent deterent to taking life in the first place. When there are no real conscequences worth fearing, there are no impedences to commiting the crime. Criminals don't fear much these days in fact incarceration may be more comfortable than their upbringing.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

We shall agree to disagree on this hot topic. We cannot help why we feel certain things are right or wrong. There are different ways of considering morality and in some cases there are no absolutes - only gray areas.

To me, it's hypocritical to preach that killing is wrong, only to turn around and use that immoral act as state a sanctioned punishment.

Life without parole at least gives those who are wrongly convicted the chance to be exonerated.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Crucifixion, nail some sense into them. Plus, if we're imposing the death sentence, no need to do this behind close doors, this needs to be done in public. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Public execution should be mandatory. That is why Wisconsin abandoned the death penalty in the mid 1800's. Watching someone die became too repulsive for too many people to continue accepting as moral justice.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jayflash, to me it is not a lesson, but a toll. I sincerely doubt the criminal can be taught anything, but if you exact a price for their behavior you make criminal actions a non-negotiable deal, not a lesson.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

One may justify the death penalty, but for me alone, I feel it's wrong to, even possibly, execute an innocent person. I believe that retribution is the main reason some favor death. Many who favor death claim to be Christians and also oppose a woman's right to terminate a small clump of cells before they become viable. Just for me alone - I feel those attitudes are wrong and hypocritical.