Headlamp for someone with a ponytail

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a worker who nearly refuses to wear a headlamp, claiming it conflicts with her pony tail.

I believe she is making excuses. If you cannot do the job, will need to find someone else who can.

So, what headlamp style is best for someone who has a pony tail?

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Last I checked, ponytails are not permanent, and are often undone to bathe, etc. ;) However if fashion is that critical to this person, would a baseball cap be acceptable attire in this job? There are caps that come with built-in lighting, and also there are small lights which can be clipped to a hat brim.

EDIT: I don't personally find a small light clipped to a hat all that useful because there's no option to adjust the angle down without pushing the hat down over your eyes. Nonetheless, some folks prefer that arrangement to wearing an actual headlamp. I'd say it depends on the nature of the job and how critical the lighting is to the task at hand... Is it for walking an unlit path, or performing surgery, or something in between?

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
I have a ponytail, never bothered me. If it bothers her, ask her to wear a visor and use a clamp on light.

I have a hardhat somewhere with a Magpul MOE Polymer Rail Section mounted on the side that at one point in time served as a headlight, maybe that'll give some ideas

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Headlamp For Someone With A Ponytail

Got a worker who nearly refuses to wear a headlamp, claiming it conflicts with her pony tail.

I believe she is making excuses. If you cannot do the job, will need to find someone else who can.

So, what headlamp style is best for someone who has a pony tail?

What job is it that requires that you wear a headlamp? I love my headlamp, but I certainly don't use the jockstrap on my head. My Nitecore HC90 is attached to the back strap on a baseball cap. I wear the cap normally, with the brim forward, until I need light. Then I spin it around 180 degrees and I have my headlamp. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, if you are looking at terminating her, you probably ought to make sure that the wearing of the headlamp is a valid job related requirement. Some employers near me have done that and found out that they should have made "reasonable accommodations".

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
Re: Headlamp For Someone With A Ponytail

My long hair has never really messed with a headlamp...
But, in your situation, I'd try to accommodate first. Legally, unless wearing a headlamp itself is a critical job function, firing the employee could cause a mess of legal trouble. A floodlight clipped to a strap (like a backpack strap or similar mount) could work. Otherwise, ask her to come up with a solution. If you still can't come to a satisfactory compromise, the refusal to wear a headlamp both persists and is affecting a critical part of the job, and you have a paper trail of the aforementioned things, you have your bases covered legally for reasonable termination (at least to my understanding, but if you need actual legal advice, I'm not the one to ask).

StillRunning

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like she should adjust the placement of her ponytail? Headlamps make lifes tasks in the dark so much easier.