Led lenser h7.2 compatible with nimh batteries?

bighest

Newly Enlightened
Hi all! I received a led lenser h7.2 today as a gift, can anyone tell me if it is compatible with rechargeable nimh batteries? I have many AAA rechargeable batteries and would like to use it with this headlamp.

insanefred

Enlightened
I say, if it can't handle rechargeable nimh batteries, than it isn't worth keeping. Yes, unless the manual specifically says you cannot use rechargeable, you should be able to.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The manual usually says that you can't with led lenser. This is because the light uses resistors calculated to the internal resistance of the alkaline batteries.

Knijpkat

Newly Enlightened
Hi all! I received a led lenser h7.2 today as a gift, can anyone tell me if it is compatible with rechargeable nimh batteries? I have many AAA rechargeable batteries and would like to use it with this headlamp.

I have the Led Lenser H7.2 and can confirm it works with NiMH batteries. Am using Varta NiMH AAA's and they seem to be working. Just bought the light used yesterday (without manual) so didn't even think about it if they could or could not work.

Haven't used the light for long, so don't know what happens if the voltage drops.

Greetings

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't used the light for long, so don't know what happens if the voltage drops.

That isn't the issue with NiMH. It is to do with the lower internal resistance which will mean that the led will be driven harder than intended. Long term, it is hard to tell if it will reduce the life of the led.

swan

Banned
As Mr Floppy said, the nimh cells will deliver a lot more current and drive the light harder over a longer time than alky cells, driving the temp higher than it was designed for.

To facilitate the focus system on lensers, the led is mounted to a thin pedestal, not much wider than the led itself, so the reflector can move in and out. The problem with this is heat will not transfer away from the base of the led quick enough, which could shorten the life of the led. Thermal transfer is one of the most critical areas to a reliable quality led light.
But in saying that, a lot have people use them with out problems.

Knijpkat

Newly Enlightened
Ah, o.k. now I understand. So staying away from the highest output levels could be a solution?

It's not the driver but the led that is at risk?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possibly but in saying that, I have the h7 and have been using NiMH for a while now. That was with the old xpe led. I think the h7.2 is an xpg2. Frankly, I don't think it will have a problem but you just don't know