Olight M2X-UT Javelot shunt resistor modding

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
apXJfoz.jpg

vG0sgCc.jpg

those are them, right? :)

this flashlight runs too cool, have to overclock :)

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are definitely SMD resistors. They are resisting only .05 Ohm, so barely anything at all.
Hopefully a more experienced modder will chime in, but maybe a driver replacement will do the trick, instead of modifying the current one.

netprince

Enlightened
I modded mine by stacking resistors. It pulls about 5a now. I'm very pleased.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless I'm misunderstanding your information, stacking resistors equals more resistance.
If you meant stacking AMC7135 current regulator chips, that does increase output, as each chip allows more current to flow through the driver.

thedodgedud01

Newly Enlightened
Unless I'm misunderstanding your information, stacking resistors equals more resistance.
If you meant stacking AMC7135 current regulator chips, that does increase output, as each chip allows more current to flow through the driver.

Stacking those style resistors means running them in parallel. When you run 2 resistors in parallel, (2x 5ohm resistors for example, you get 2.5 ohms) the resistance drops, as it has more paths for the current to go.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I can understand that.
I am a low-voltage contractor, and understand (to a point!) DC circuit design. In a parallel circuit, if you have multiple resistors, the total resistance is always less than any one of the resistors. The formula is:

*edit
1 / (1/ Res Val #1) + (1/ Res Val #2) + (etc.)

So unless I'm really messing this up, if you stack more resistors, you are reducing the total resistance on the circuit (as you mentioned above). My point is, if you are starting with only 5 ohms resistance, how much real gain could you see? Why not just jumper the resistor contacts to have (close to) zero resistance? I believe I'm missing something here.

Last edited:

petrochemicals

Newly Enlightened
A little resistance goes along way, if you half the resistance in a circuit ie running them in parallel, voltage the same, you double the current in a circuit. I do not know what the resistance is of that circuit, but the fact they are using 0.5 resistors, suggests that there is not much required. I'm guessing that the shunt is on the regulator current control circuit, so at the moment it is probably running through one or both, when on high or low, so to inrease it you may have to introduce a lower resistance circuit for the modes to toggle on.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are actualy searcing for the driver's Sens resistor. The driver control chip measures voltage across this resistor and based on that regulates output.
Usually these resistors are connected to one leg of the chip and on the - power (outer driver ring).
It appears that the ones in the picture are them.
As others have noted these are 2 in parallel, so the sum is less.

what you gonna do is:
-check these are really the sens resistors
-define how much more light you want (say +30%)
-use an online "parallel resistor calculator" to find the current combined value (it is 0.025 I guess)
-your new value must be, say 30%, lower than the current. this would be 0.0175
-now you either replace them all with a new one, or stack another one on them after you calculate the sum value of the three

one thing you got to take note of is the resistor size/type. wikipedia will tell you this based on the original resistors' length.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obviously, the formatting on the formula got wonky in my previous post, don't know if I can fix it from my phone.

Both K & P's clarification makes more sense to me now in how it relates to the mod.
Fascinating stuff, but well over my comfort level