Long-lasting quality P60 module, 30 lumens

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wanted to look around before I pulled the trigger on Malkoff M61NLLLL, which is what I really want, but I also wanted to look at alternatives.

Since lumens are so low (30?), not sure a heat sink is even needed.

I would like the flexibility to run it on 1x18650 (3.7V) also. If 12V is not an option, I can think I can live with 9V (3x123) in a surefire 9P setup, which is actually a more practical size than 4x123. You can EDC a 9P but I had issues EDC-ing "12P".

The goal here is a runtime of 50-60 hours off 3x123.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you said "quality," so that discounts those Solarforce dropins. They overblow the lumens, wouldn't be surprised if some of them really were 30 lumens.

One module they have isn't so bad... a voltage compatibility module. The driver on the ones I have take up to 18v and cut off at 3v. Safe for single cell, but will overdischarge if you have more than one battery in series. Gotta know what you're doing and match the module with the host body as well as battery configuration. All of the Solarforce modules I've tried have bad PWM and overstated lumens. I don't consider them quality.

I got a couple of really nice Vinh Moonlight P60. Fairly neutral tint. 3 mode, starting with lowest. High is about a 2amp draw, but I normally don't run it that hot. I got it for the two other modes. Top notch. Alternatively, you could go with the DriverVN in your P60 module. It's 1% draw mode is pretty low. It is user programmable and can be set up with low modes first, high modes first, single mode, dedicated strobe-only, or whichever. The available programmable user modes seem well thought out. Unfortunately, the DriverVN wants single battery unprotected high drain for max performance. I don't think Vinh offers a 3x123 option at this time. Too bad, it otherwise can be programmed to fill your bill.

If you like that Malkoff, I'd go with that.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contact Mountain Electronics and give them your specs. They are always doing custom drop ins for people. I think at 30 lumens you could go with a two cell host like a G2 or 6P as well, with either two CR123A cells or one 16650 Li-Ion cell, and get the run time you desire.