Duracell Durabeam Ultra

sholtz21

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys!

Anyone seen these? or used one? I saw it at my local Costco. They advertise 1000 lumens. Figured i'd ask around and see if you guys knew of it.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way to go duracell!! Sweet Coast rip off done in Duracell design! Checked it out it actually indeed looks like an XML2 in there which for such a cheap light is amazing! Variable focus just like Coast to very sweet and only 30 bucks on amazon. They are advertising 36,000 candela which sucks for what looks like a HUGE light. Its huge its obviously heavy 4xD cell not driven too hard my new XP-L Coast HP17 is 3xD and is MASSIVE but does what it claims it can do which is 47,000 candela 975 aspheric lumens. I may just throw 30 bucks at this thing but knowing me next thing I know Ill be out money for Tenergy 10000mah Premium NiMHs for it etc etc. I say go for it! Ditch the Duracells and put Energizers in it (Energizers D alky is a superior D cell design less likely to leak)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
will try to dig up some info for you but I had always read the Energizer D alkys were of superior construction?

sholtz21

Newly Enlightened
So i found out last night that my brother-in-law picked up one of these. I'm impressed how bright it is. I tried it last night in a room with the shades and everything pulled. Lit up the room really well. I should have taken some pics but was rushed. I'll see if I can get a hold of it again to test. Or maybe just pick up one up myself. The throw didn't seem to be to bad either.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
from what I can tell about Energizers vs Duracell D alkys is that the Energizers are sealed from leakage supposedly. This light looks pretty beastly its gotta be enormous. Does seem to be some kind of XML2 in it. Should be close to a Coast HP550 beam wise which is great. Very impressive.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have yet to have a Duracell Duralock leak on me (knock on wood.) I've even vampired some of those down to absolutely nothing, still no leaks yet (for me.)

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the Amazon US page for the Duracell Durabeam Ultra 1000 Lumens, the first question in the section Customer Questions & Answers asks, "Will this work with Eneloop AA rechargeable batteries using "C" cell adapters?"

The customer who answered reports, "I burned out 2 bulbs as soon as I put rechargeable batteries in. I contacted the company and they said rechargeable batteries are NOT to be used, and I let them know that there was nothing on the package nor insert that said not to use rechargeable batteries. They are sending me a new one." Other customers say they also killed their Durabeams by using NiMH.

The manufacturer's statement that rechargeable batteries cannot be used is reminiscent of Maglite.

Last edited:

sholtz21

Newly Enlightened
I think i'm going to run into Costco tomorrow and pick one up. Even to put on a shelf in the garage.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the Amazon US page for the Duracell Durabeam Ultra 1000 Lumens, the first question in the section Customer Questions & Answers asks, "Will this work with Eneloop AA rechargeable batteries using "C" cell adapters?"

The customer who answered reports, "I burned out 2 bulbs as soon as I put rechargeable batteries in. I contacted the company and they said rechargeable batteries are NOT to be used, and I let them know that there was nothing on the package nor insert that said not to use rechargeable batteries. They are sending me a new one." Other customers say they also killed their Durabeams by using NiMH.

The manufacturer's statement that rechargeable batteries cannot be used is reminiscent of Maglite.
I just don't understand why a major label would ship a light like that. Did they think nobody was going to want to use rechargeables? Duracell even SELLS rechargeables!

Oh my, my Duracell NiMH fried my Duracell light. Warranty better cover it. Someone in upper management needs to slap some engineers around. They've got engineers that can't design a driver. :(

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've actually a couple older led maglite, where my duraloops don't fit or well, too fat.
That by design keeps them on shelves when I walk past.