Fulton mx991u noobie build

LeatherLunger

Newly Enlightened
Hello All,
This is my first post to the forum other than the intro. I have thumbed through as many posts as i can regarding the old Fulton military anglehead and have had my eyes opened quite a bit from mild to wild mods that can be done to the light. I am not familiar with much of the common terminology to flashlight modding so please dont be offended by my ignorance! I was perusing through my shed the other day and found my dads old vietnam fulton that he gave me when i was a kid. As with many people this was one of my childhood prized posessions. Now as a career truck company fireman with an appreciation for good lighting i would like to turn this old flashlight into jacket light on my turnout coat for sentimental purposes. I would like to keep it a 2d light and do an led upgrade ultimately. This light will need to be capable of running about 6 or more hours of continous use when i am on an incident. I want a bright semi focused beam with some peripheral light around the beam. Ultimately a balance between more light and the mentioned run time is what the light will require. I understand some of the reliability problems with the switch, but this is not the only light i wear and i am ok with rolling the dice on the switch. What i do not want is reliability problems associated with heat from the mods. Being in the truck company i do not go interior on fire most of the time so environmental issues associated with fire conditions is not a concern for me. If yall think a teralux or niteize led would be good enough over the facory incan, or you think a more involved mod would be better, any feedback would be appreciated. Additionaly and feedback on reflector/ lens upgrades would be great. Grateful to be on this forum and eager to learn. Thank you for your time.

Bill_Brown

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fulton flashlight. I have replaced the bulb with a LED from Nite Ize. I purchased it from Harbor Freight for about $10.00. It has a much better light than the original incandescent bulb. I have not tested it to see how long it will run before the batteries go dead. I was a fire fighter for a few years in the military. I always carried extra batteries in my turn out gear. Even though I never needed them because the fires I worked did not take that long to extinguish. (Aircraft do not burn that long).

LeatherLunger

Newly Enlightened
Bill, thank you for the reply. Im on the same page as you and i think the nite ize is the route im going to take as well. Thank you

sgt253

Enlightened
I think that its awesome that you are using a piece of your Dad's gear. If you want an alternative from using his light (to keep it from getting harmed) but still want an Angle Light, Google "Elektrolumens". He's a custom/semi custom builder, used to have a Forum here. He takes a brand new Fulton Angle light and installs a custom LED (Cree X-ML). Just an idea. All the best...