It's HERE... Snake Eyes 2: The Sequel...

OddOne

Enlightened
It\'s HERE... Snake Eyes 2: The Sequel...

<font color="brown">NOTE: Head to page two for UPDATES AND LINKAGE AND NEW PICS AND BEAMSHOTS and all that sorta good stuff like that there.</font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This project's been in a holding pattern for a while now (about two months, actually) while I acquired all the bits. But, I got the final pieces of the puzzle last week, muahahahahaha...

se2_complete_top.jpg

Doesn't look like much from that angle, but the two Luxeon IIIs inside, coupled with the modded PM6 reflectors, throw a BRIGHT and pure white beam about four hundred yards. (It's raining here at the OddLair, but I can make out the spot on buildings I know are 300+ yards distant)

Full power should be cranking out 130-150 LUMENS, too (no idea what the actual brightness is as I don't have a meter) - bright enough for annoying neighbors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, it gets better...

se2_saber_shot.jpg

The LEDs are fed power from a uFlex driver. Power comes from four 123 lithium batteries, and full-brightness runtime should work out to about four hours.

It ain't tiny - it's five inches long, almost three inches wide, and an inch an a half thick. Since the LEDs are thermo-glued to a HALF-INCH THICK aluminum heatsink, temps will -not- be an issue. I also mounted a button on the back, so when it's time to head out I can pop it on my belt and go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A full writeup with quite a number of pics will be coming to OWLI in the next few days, give or take. I tell ya, if I ever get my hands on a lathe and milling machine (or get the $ to pay a machinist to make parts to spec) I'ma be REAL dangerous, muahahahahaha...

oO

Neko2

Newly Enlightened
Re: It\'s coming... Snake Eyes 2: The Sequel...

Sell the idea to eternalight. It looks similar already and you could see your product becime their premier produt.

Or just get to mass producing thsese somehow so I can buy one.

N2

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

lookin' good wierdo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

it is not round! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
very innovative!
can you change brightness witht that driver?
bernhard

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
can you change brightness witht that driver?
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

uFlex CPF thread

george.

p.s. Oddone - nice light concept. From eye fryer to nightlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G Pilot

Enlightened

I wanna see the reflectors.......how the heck are they modded? I really want one! If you are making a list, put me on it! Seriously!

OddOne

Enlightened

Actually, I'm -still- not finished with it. The front and rear spreaders (which, BTW, haven't even gotten warm yet in any of my tests) still need their edges bevelled and some semi-cosmetic, semi-functional touches need to be added.

And then there's the battery door, which will require a whole subset of engineering on its own...

Hey George, think you're up for a limited run of special uFlexes for an equally limited run of SE2s? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oO

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are those 2 5mm LED's by the switch in black holders? what do they do?

OddOne

Enlightened

Actually, they're 6-32 cap-head screws, bolting the heat spreader to the heatsink inside the light's casing. Once attached the entire metal portion of the light becomes one big structure.

oO

OddOne

Enlightened

Muahahaha, the writeup is posted! Along with 37 pictures of the assembly and testing process.

The URL:
Snake Eyes 2: The Sequel - Digitally Controlled Dual-LED Powerhouse

Some tantalizing pics:

se2_complete_front.jpg

Back in black (and gray)...

se2_leds_on_heatsink.jpg

Thermal problems? WHAT thermal problems?

se2_full_power_beam.jpg

And yes, that'd be WITH flash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

So far I think this is my best light to date. And certainly the brightest. If I ever get a decent R&D budget and access to the right tools, look out!

oO

OddOne

Enlightened

Awwww, think I ran the batts down - finally... Only been dinking around with it for a week now, hehehe...

Kinda surprised there's not been any response from here.

oO

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

beamshots? outside? So is there 2 switches, 2 levles of power? What batts does it use?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

lookin' good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

WHOA

Looks marvelous

nice one, oddy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OddOne

Enlightened

I needta get some batts for outdoor beamshots - was using partially-drained ones from other mods to power this one for the buildup. One thing I've noticed, though, is that it'll shoot a surprising beam into the tops of oak trees down the street. I've not had the opportunity to play with a LED light with this kind of throw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

BTW Isaac, it only has one button, at top-center, although it's hard to see in the pic. The two button-like items are two of the three visible button-head screws that hold the heat spreader in place. Although there's only one button, through that one button I can turn it on/off by tapping it, or get eight brightness levels by holding it down - all courtesy of the uFlex board that drives the LEDs.

Strangely I'm getting inquiries from several places about doing a production run. Does it have that kind of potential?

oO

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
OddOne said:
Although there's only one button, through that one button I can turn it on/off by tapping it, or get eight brightness levels by holding it down - all courtesy of the uFlex board that drives the LEDs.

Strangely I'm getting inquiries from several places about doing a production run. Does it have that kind of potential?

oO

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad the uFlex is performing well in your application. Remember, you can also go straight to the lowest level or highest level by holding the button down at turn on for 1/2 sec to 1 1/2sec or > 1 1/2sec. Saves having to scroll through all the levels each time - even though that takes only a couple of so seconds.

Production run eh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well, I'll happily supply you driver boards - I have a few left /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Though I imagine I can put uFlex drivers together faster than you can put one of your lights together...

george.

OddOne

Enlightened

Yep, already "discovered" the shortcut-to-full-brightness option.

Also discovered that then the batts are too weak to provide for higher currents the uFlex will start flickering the LEDs at higher settings, ostensably as an indication that it's dropping out of regulation and into direct-drive mode.

I had an idea that might or might not be worth considering for the 1000mA uFlex - an overdrive mode. The idea: have 1A out as a short-duration (5-10 minute) option and have like 750mA or so for the normal "highest" setting. That way you can pump Luxeon IIIs at a more comfortable ~65 lumens and have the option to REALLY push power to 'em for short bursts if you need the extra light. Should be more battery safe too.

Dunno if THAT idea is realistic or not, but it'd be sweet to run a pair of Luxeon IIIs at a bright but not insane mode normally and have a short burst of obscene light available on demand.

oO