Nitecore tube not working after accidenty going through washing machine.Any idea??

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
My fav nitecore tube was fully charged yesterday.I always keep it in my pants pocket.Yesterday without noticing I washed my pants with tube inside it.Now today while I was searching I found it inside my pocket.Its not working .I didnt try to charge as Am aftraid it will burn something inside .Can anyone say what might have damaged.Can it be repaired??.please help as I loved this so much.Thankyou

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
My fav nitecore tube was fully charged yesterday.I always keep it in my pants pocket.Yesterday without noticing I washed my pants with tube inside it.Now today while I was searching I found it inside my pocket.Its not working .I didnt try to charge as Am aftraid it will burn something inside .Can anyone say what might have damaged.Can it be repaired??.please help as I loved this so much.Thankyou

I would take it apart best you can, dry it in airing cupboard for a few weeks meanwhile buy another one. When you remember its in the airing cupboard put it back together and try charging it.
Good luck !

akhyar

Enlightened
Dry it inside dry box, silica gel or in rice for a night or two.
Do not charge or turn it on during this time. See if that will work

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for reply.I just kept it under incandascent bulb to dry.I tried to turn it on many times.Whether it damaged it further more??.Has anyone retrived it by drying??

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can open it up and leave in rice over night or 2. Cheaper than leaving under an incan lamp for a couple of days.

After a couple of days look for damage inside.

J-mosh

Newly Enlightened
I agree with BLUE LED rice works best. I've used this on a cell phone many years ago. My wife sent my nitecore mh10 through the wash a week ago luckily the charging port cover stayed closed and it turned right on.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
X3 on the rice.

Put some rice in a ziplock, and if you have any, silica gel sacks. Place disassembled light in bag.

Set bag in a window on the sunny side of your home. Or perhaps the dashboard of your car.

I've had success with activity meters and cell phones using that method.

Or if you have any, wrap it in a diaper and sunbake that. Diapers are giant water absorbers.

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
I kept in the rice bag for around 12 hours.Was impatient and tried to turn it on.But no luck.But in pitch dark I can see the led blinking very slightly when I press the side switch.Now is it a positive sign any ideas.?Anyway till now I didnt charge ,will wait until the led is properly lit.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
Patience is the name of the game. Keep letting it dry for at LEAST another 24 hours. The longer you let it dry, the better. Let it bake in a warm place to speed up the process a bit. If you can open it, that would help it dry faster as well.
If you try to charge it and use it too soon while there is still water inside, you can fry it permanently. It's better to wait and give it the best chance possible.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a multimeter?

Once you finish drying it out, open the nitecore tube and check the voltage of the lithium cell. If it is too low, you should really throw it away unless you can replace the cell due to the danger of charging over-discharged cells. However if it is simply low - it may just need a charge to get it going again. Make sure it is fully dry first.

Good luck!

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
Hey I did as you said.Took it apart and measured the voltages.The battery reads 4.12v.but there is a kind of protection circuit on battery to which the main led board is connected.This connection only reads 2.08v.So I think there is some issue with the protection circuit.On opening the tube there was mosture inside .The battery driver also had moisture.Any ideas???.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey I did as you said.Took it apart and measured the voltages.The battery reads 4.12v.but there is a kind of protection circuit on battery to which the main led board is connected.This connection only reads 2.08v.So I think there is some issue with the protection circuit.On opening the tube there was mosture inside .The battery driver also had moisture.Any ideas???.
Do what many previous posts above have stated. Don't be impatient. Leave the OPENED light inside a ziplock bag full of uncooked rice in a hot place like a car dashboard for at least 24 hours. After that, try reassembling and hopefully it will work.

If it doesn't work it might be toast. On the upside Nitecore Tubes are quite cheap. If it doesn't work after the 24-hour dry-out it's cheaper to just buy a new one than it is to try to replace individual fried components.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast

This sounds good however as many members here have said do not be impatient. If you let it dry out fully - take the advice given by many such as Fireclaw18 above -it has a good chance of working again. As you say water is on the protection circuit etc I would leave it even longer perhaps 3 or 4 days.

Once you are certain it is fully dry, measure the battery again. If it is still good then you probably just need to reset the protection circuit. Connect it to a USB charger for JUST A SECOND (this will be enough to reset it) and no longer - incase it is faulty. Then try it!

Last edited:

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
Hooraaaaaaaaay!:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-DIt started working .I shorted the pins on the two ic's on the battery protection circuit and there was my moment of victory!.
I think the laundry water caused the protection circuit to cut the current to led driver.
Now everything is fine.Le d is bright and all modes are working flawlesslly.
Now Iam drying everything and cleaning.

I thank all my fellow bro's for their invaluable tips and for your kind time
Eventhough it is a10$ thing I feel proud and happy.Also I have learnt new stuffs about electronics during this process.
Again I thank everyone thanks a lot:):)

Last edited:

Latest posts