Muji standing LED flashlight

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was visiting a MUJI store yesterday and found an interesting flashlight. I think it is a new model as they did not have any of them when I last visited (about 2-3 weeks ago). First some pics - if anyone wants better pics give me a shout and I'll break out the mirrorless :)

This light was sold more as an emergency light, and is designed to be stood on a surface rather than carried in the hand.

The light casing is made from enamelled white steel - it reminds me of older flashlights sold over 40 years ago! The window on the front is made of plastic, but for the intended application I think that's just fine. There is a slide switch on the side (which feels like it is actuating a real switch but I have not disassembled the mechanism to confirm).

The emitter is a 1W LED that emits a tint between warm-white and neutral-white. Even though the light has a reflector the beam profile is very floody, so this light is a nice alternative to a lantern. Aim the light toward the center of the room that you want to illuminate. It is very pleasant and does not have too much glare. I really, really like the colour temperature and I feel that it would be a very comforting light to use during a power outage.

Tonight I will try to guess the lumen output by comparing with other lights I have. Unfortunately the manual does not quote the lumen output.

cpfmujilight1.jpg

There is a metal bar stand built into the light. You can sit the light down on a flat surface and angle the light. You can also hang the light upside down from a hook using the folding stand. The casing is held together with a metal spring clip on the side which is very secure, yet fairly easy to open. The casing does not rattle when clamped shut.

cpfmujilight2.jpg

cpfmujilight3.jpg

The light runs from 3xAA cells. Alkaline and NiMH are both OK.

The manual has the following specifications listed:
  • Battery type: 3xAA
  • Size: Width 66mm, Height 107mm, Depth 36mm (not including stand)
  • Weight: 170g (not including battery)
  • Light type: High power LED 1W
  • Operating temperature: 0C - 35C
  • Operating time: 10 hours from alkaline batteries

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is neat. It does remind me of the older style lights. Retro Cool factor is there for sure. I have not seen that one before either. What does that sell for?

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light cost ¥2900 (about $24).

MUJI have other LED flashlights too. Most of them are nothing too special however there are some other interesting models, such as a plug-in (docking) rechargeable light that also has a large solar panel on the back for emergency use.