EDC recommend: have I missed anything in the last year?

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

long time no nothin' - not because I don't like you guys but because thanks to you all my light situation was pretty well sorted until yesterday.

After trying a few different lights, I bought a custom Sunwayman V11R from Vinh Nguyen with a Nichia 219 emitter. Carried it on my belt for a year. Lost it yesterday.

I used the ever-lovin' crap out of that light; I guess because my eyes are getting older it is harder for me to adjust to dark places, with a little light on my belt I could just whip it out whenever I needed to look into a dark cranny of a car's underhood, behind recalcitrant stereo equipment, whatever... I probably used it several times every day.

I haven't really been seriously watching CPF since getting that light since it just met my needs darn near perfectly. I do lurk on the transportation forums but that's about it.

Question: is there anything that has been introduced in the last year that I should look at? I'm tempted just to order up another one of Vinh's lights and be done with it, and hope that my other little light shows up (although it could be in any number of parking lots or buildings between DC and NoVA so that is faint hope...)

thanks!

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Welcome back.

Hard to beat a Vinh modded SWM (I have one myself plus several more stock and limited edition ones that I'm considering modding).

This is probably the wrong size category for you but the new Nitecore EC4S with the quad XHP50 looks pretty cool. There's a thread with a link on that here.

Just found the link:

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/

Vinh has added new lights in the last year. You should check out the line up and see if anything fits your needs.

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too EDC 'd a Vinh v11r for almost a year until I got my Zebralight SC62w. It's slightly larger but only very slightly yet takes an 18650 and easily matches the v11r in output despite being completely stock. I guess the other advantage is being able to reach various output modes with one hand. I love the mag control ring interface but I find myself having to adjust the ring just about every time I turn it on because the ring spins in my pocket so it either comes on full blast or on moonlight and it's not super easy to adjust with one hand.

With the ZL, I'm instantly able to get to high or low from off and there's no adjustment required.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh man...have you missed anything this 2015 year? 2015 has been an epic year for lights from the 3rd gen LED Mags to XPL-HI mania its been a banner year for lights. I dont have any Vinh lights amongst my collection I just like my factory warranties to much. I would hold off a couple months. With the short fall and winter days coming makers will really be rolling them out. Will 2016 be another banner year for lights? Yes I think so. Killer lights abound and inbound. From rumors of a 2015/16 TK61 to the no stop in sight XP-L HI madness I forsee blowing another grand on lights over the next year...all depends on what your flavor is ya know? Throw, flood, tints? etc....Out of all the lights I bought in 2015 only 2 really impressed the smack outta me and those lights are the ET G25C2 in XP-L HI and the NC MH20.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as EDC lights go, Nitecore has the EA11/EC11 twins. The EA11 is a single AA light that will work with either AA cells or a 14500. With the 14500 it will do a blazing 900 lumens. The EC11 will work with either CR123A primary cells or IMR 18340 rechargeables. Yet both are small enough to disappear in one's pocket without problem.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you liked the V11R, I'd just get another one. It's one of my favorite lights. A brand new CW tint can be had for $39.99

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I should have clarified; I kind of need the control ring and/or the ability to go straight to a moonlight mode. Part of the appeal of the V11R, and what made me ditch my old Fenix pocket light, was that I have a friend who sadly spends a lot of time in hospitals; I was trying to read a book in a dark room and the V11R was the solution to that while still being practical for EDC tasks. I have an EagleTac D25C Ti 219 that I thought was the solution, but when I run it on an RCR123 "moonlight" is stupid bright.

I guess as a stopgap I could steal a LFP123 from my Streamlight Night Com UV and try that in the D25C? but then I can't use the Streamlight and Surefire has apparently dropped the LFPs (I guess they were rebranded K2 Energy cells) :( what to do?

I have dropped Vinh an email, I hope he's still making them. I did not see the V11R listed on his current list, but I'm not sure what else would fill my needs exactly. I might have to order a stock V11R if he can't hook me up.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, thinking of biting the bullet and ordering a HDS Rotary high CRI.

Have HDS sorted the inability to add a pocket/belt clip to the Rotary? Any good belt holsters available for HDS? The extra $$$ would hurt but I've gotten so used to having a good light on me at all times that I'm kind of shaking and itching at the moment. It's almost as bad as last week when we didn't have internet for something like 5 days.

Ladd

Enlightened
If you liked the V11R, I'd just get another one. It's one of my favorite lights. A brand new CW tint can be had for $39.99

Congrats on 1000th post N8N!

The SWM is also my vote. I have one of the vinh mods and it is the one that goes in my pocket most often.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Source? For that price I would buy one just to have it even though I'm not a fan of CW.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on 1000th post N8N!

The SWM is also my vote. I have one of the vinh mods and it is the one that goes in my pocket most often.

Thanks! I didn't even notice... sad that it's in this thread though :/

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that. Now I have to decide if I want my Nichia 219 goodness back or just get a screamin' deal on a probably pretty decent light.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
Vinh does some pretty amazing work from what I hear (I don't have one........ yet). He has a pretty wide selection to look through as well.
The Olight S1 is new and super small. Mine should be arriving within the week, and it has been pretty well reviewed. Illumination Supply last I checked had a deal on titanium Eagletac D25's with Nichia 219 emitters that could be worth checking out. Zebralight's SC5 is a new contender. There's a fair number of new contenders and updates out there depending on what form factor you want.

Prepped

Enlightened
Managed to find that V11R for $39.99....Google is a powerful tool if you know how to use it :twothumbs
I have to +1 the Olight S1. Awesome little light with a great UI. I just got a Vinh light and it's really something else. He does good work.

Last edited:

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
I've been using the 180lm Nitecore MT1A. It's great for morning walks on med (street lights) or hi (no lights). The Turbo is strong enough for lighting 50 yard distances. It runs on a single AA, I have used L91 and Eneloop 2500mAh without issue. Twist the head slightly to switch from Turbo to a memory mode setting. I'm a fan of the hotspot and spill for distance and near illumination.

The pocket clip is terrible - so I replaced it with a Fenix 21mm Pocket Clip - and now I'm happy: http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/21mm-pocket-clip/

Good luck!

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh does some pretty amazing work from what I hear (I don't have one........ yet). He has a pretty wide selection to look through as well.
The Olight S1 is new and super small. Mine should be arriving within the week, and it has been pretty well reviewed. Illumination Supply last I checked had a deal on titanium Eagletac D25's with Nichia 219 emitters that could be worth checking out. Zebralight's SC5 is a new contender. There's a fair number of new contenders and updates out there depending on what form factor you want.

I actually have the D25C Ti 219... it was my disappointment in that light that made me buy the Vinh light. The D25C loses moonlight mode when run off an RCR123.

Am carrying the D25C now with a primary in it to get me by until I get a new light.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I should have clarified; I kind of need the control ring and/or the ability to go straight to a moonlight mode.
Any of the newest Zebralights. They've refreshed their models. The SC52 rolled to SC52 L2. SC600 L2 Mark II rolled to SC600 Mark III and so on. New SC5 AAx1 blaster.

Any of these can go straight to max or moonlight. Programmable. Big thumbs up from me.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any of the newest Zebralights. They've refreshed their models. The SC52 rolled to SC52 L2. SC600 L2 Mark II rolled to SC600 Mark III and so on. New SC5 AAx1 blaster.

Any of these can go straight to max or moonlight. Programmable. Big thumbs up from me.

+1 I have the SC5w and the SC32w and have been very impressed so far. If you can live with the larger size the SC5 is especially impressive because it operates on a single eneloop AA. The SC5w is my new work light and the SC32w is in the EDC rotation.

Last edited: