Pics! bezel-/sparelamp-/battery-carrier

makar

Enlightened
hi cpfler!

i designed a bezel carrier for the e-serie(bce), being screwed in, to carry any e-bezel (kl1, kl4, e1 and e2-bezel). i find this useful because of the bezels' different purposes e.g. the kl4 throws a wall of light in the nearer area and the normal e-bezel is great for longer distances. so i think it makes sense to carry both of them when needed.
the carrier will also prevent the lamp assembly(mnX) from falling out of the bezel.

the construction will be from aluminium 6082-t6. the finish will be hard anodized to come close to the sf colour. an o-ring will make the carrier weatherproof.

thanks to B@rt, DSpeck and Rothrandir for supporting me in technical issues.

Marc

aluminium:

to lower the costs i changed the material to alloy 6082-t6. 6061-t6 is not popular in europe and therefore very expensive. 6082 is actually a little better in strength, hardness and weather/saltwater reliability (see also werner co. - ALLOY 6061, 6105, AND 6082 COMPARISONS).
if there is further interest i have detailed datasheets on both materials.

anodization:

mil-a-8625f ha-III class 1.

o-rings:

after comparing different o-ring materials i decided the o-rings will be made of nbr.

you can use the bezelcarrier for itself and it will carry and protect your bezel.

bcemitkl4.JPG

screw the spare lamp carrier between the bezel carrier and the bezel and your spare lamp assembly is always with you and protected.

kl4scebce.JPG

the bace is to carry a cr123 cell in any combination with the others.

there will also be a small end cap (ece) which allows you to take just a carrier (bace/sce) with you .

ecebacebce.JPG

it is in place of the bezel and shuts the unit to one side. the other side is always screwed to the bce.

you can use the bezelcarrier for itself and it will carry and protect your bezel.

bcemitkl4.JPG

screw the spare lamp carrier between the bezel carrier and the bezel and your spare lamp assembly is always with you and protected.

kl4scebce.JPG

the bace is to carry a cr123 cell in any combination with the others.

there will also be a small end cap (ece) which allows you to take just a carrier (bace/sce) with you .

ecebacebce.JPG

it is in place of the bezel and shuts the unit to one side. the other side is always screwed to the bce.

possible configurations:

bce + bezel
bce + x-times carrier (sce or bace) + bezel
bce + x-times carrier (sce or bace) + endcap

all threadings will have an o-ring to make the construction weatherproof.

key ring hole:

i fiddled about an alternative for a keyring hole.

alternative.jpg

the two ends of the lanyard or steel cord will be put in the two parallel holes. a screw presses them then to the side. i made this model to check if it's strong enough - and it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EDIT: I'll stick to the key ring hole solution.

EDIT: more pics are on page 2 of this posting!

B@rt

Flashaholic
Re: announcement: bezel carrier for sf e-series bezels

bomb-technician-0945.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened

Sounds great... Wating for pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

K-T

*Moderator*

Marc, what a great idea. I have been looking for something similar for the KT heads since they accumulate unwanted dust when not used and should have some kind of protection. I am looking forward to your BCS for the E-series. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

May I ask where you are getting the parts anodized? I have one or the other project here that might need HAIII once it gets finished (somewhere around 2005 the way my schedule looks like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif )

Klaus.

makar

Enlightened

@ bart: lol. i'll put it in another way: i want to thank you for supporting me morally /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

@K-T: pm sent with info.

@bgenleytex: the bce will carry the bezel with its lamp assembly. i plan also to offer summable adapters where you can choose how many spare lamp assemblys you take with you (e.g. mn01, mn02, mn03). one adapter for one spare lamp assembly.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

eagerly awaiting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic

Just kidding Makar, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I hope it wil turn out nicely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
wave.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

bert? moral support?
don't you mean immoral support? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

still waiting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

makar

Enlightened
Re: announcement: bezel carrier for sf e-series be

I'm hoping to meet your expectations /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
Re: update1

Looks good to me - I would prefer the first keyhole variant as it seems to be absolutly idiot-proof.

Klaus.

OT:
what programm did you use to sketch out the drawings?

makar

Enlightened
possible carrying options

@k-t: i did the drawings on autocad 2004 and plotted them in a jpg-file. then i cut them to size with the ms photo editor.

@kfasold: thanks!

possible carrying options:

1st: wear the bezel carrier (for e-serie)[bce] with a e-series bezel to carry the bezel.

2nd: wear the bezel carrier [bce] screwed together with the sparelampassembly carrier (for e-serie) [sce] and an e-series bezel to carry the bezel and a spare lamp with you.

3rd: wear the bce with the sce and an endcap so you'll just have an mnxx with you.

you can screw as much sce together as you like, which allows you to take as much lampassemblies with you than you have sces.
on top the bce; in the middle the sce(s); at the bottom the end cap OR the e-serie bezel.

i hope i made it clear - for further questions feel free to ask!

kfasold

Newly Enlightened
Re: possible carrying options

OK, I think I've got it:

For example, if I'm carrying an L4 but I want to be able to turn it into an e2e, I'd put it together this way:

bce + sce (with MN02 LA) + e-series bezel

but I could also carry both a hi- and low- 2-cell LA this way???:

bce + sce (with MN02 LA) + sce (with MN03 LA) + e-series bezel

Now the question -- if I pull the KL4 from the L4 & put a bezel & LA, can I screw the KL4 onto the sce???

Hope this makes sense! <G>

kf

makar

Enlightened

i think you got it. but one lamp assembly remains in the bezel. for example: you want to have a l4 with you that you also want to be able to turn into an e2e. then you just need the bce. you screw the bce in the e2e-bezel with the lamp assembly remaining in the bezel.

you need an sce just in case you want to have a further spare lamp assembly with you.
e.g. you want to have a l4 with you that you also want to be able to turn into an e2e and use this with mn02 and mn03. you screw the bce on one sce for the mn02 and this hole unit in the e2e-bezel which includes the mn03.

the bce & sce will fit all e-series bezels including the kl4 bezel. in fact it should work on all bezels fitting the e-serie body.

i also plan to offer a small end cap which allows you to take just a spare lamp with you. so you can also just take a sparelamp with you without a bezel. possible configuration:
bce + sce with spare lamp assembly + endcap.

i hope it's clearer now. don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

roguesw

Enlightened

makar, this sounds like a good backup option, just chuck it on the end of the keyring and forget about it, have u thought about designing an extra sce that will carry 123 cells?
paypal at the ready /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
des

makar

Enlightened

you caught me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif yes, i'm working right now on this.

marc