SF L4 Cip Removal

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to remove the clip from L4 to put on a longer one. Since I don't want to mar the light I was hoping someone could share some insight to help. Does it come off toward the tail switch or bezel end? Any other suggestions, or instruction?

Also here is a tip for those that switch bezels on their L4/E series. If you happen to have a military distress light (SDU 5/E) that uses a BA-1574/U battery, the brass cap from the battery makes a great watertight thread protector for the SF heads.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
it comes off towards the bezel end...you have to remove the bezel and the O-ring there before attempting to remove the clip. once you've done so, slide a piece of paper or card between the clip and the body (to prevent the body from getting scratched), then use your thumb to push the clip out.

if its too stiff to budge, place the body of the L4 vertically on a flat surface, then insert the tip of a flat-headed screwdriver into the bend of the clip and push downwards slowly but strongly. you might want to put something between the L4 body and the table to prevent the screwdriver from marring the table if the clip suddenly jerks free /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bravo25,

Just put a shoe lace under the clip and use this to pull the clip off. This way you don't risk marring the finish.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Similar to Chamenos' method, remove bezel, slide a card under the clip, then position clip on the edge of a hard surface (while standing the body horizontally), e.g. workbench, then gently tap downwards on the top of light with ball of your palm, and it should slide out. I should also add that there is a small plastic 'T' shaped spacer in between the clip and the light, which essentially holds the clip in place tightly. Keep this with the clip in a safe place should you want to replace the clip in future.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW,

You will compromise the water resistance by removing the clip. The little plastic "T" and the clip complete the seat for the o-ring to form a seal.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
BTW,

You will compromise the water resistance by removing the clip. The little plastic "T" and the clip complete the seat for the o-ring to form a seal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I intend to replace it with the longer style on the E series. Will I still "break" a seal, or will it be fine with the new one?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
bravo25: as long as you reinstall a clip (whether long or short), the plastic widget and the O-ring you will be fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that you can call Surefire and order one. I think it's the clip for the M2. It's also the same clip that they use on the outdoorsman.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DBrier said:
I also want to add the longer clip to my L4. Where can you get them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got off the phone with them, and they say that don't have any in stock, but I could buy one. I figured with the cost of their lights (which I have both the A2, and the L4) they would say "let me just send you one out", or "send me yours, I'll send you another". Not happening though. They are 5 bucks, and change from SF

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a very good point Chop! Folks don't realize that they're losing the light's water resistance when they decide to remove their L4, (and even L5), clips!

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my E1e with the clip removed, but I leave the plastic 'widget' (as its called here) in the gap, and when I tighten the bezel, I line up the widget to the body thread end to avoid the o-ring from 'scrunching up' when tightening the bezel. Still looks pretty water resistant to me, but I can't say for sure till I try dunking it or something... Thanks for the warning, though Chop!